1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
727 Posts

Does anyone have any experience/feedback with this?
Before you get this turbo, you are going to want to get a couple more upgrades on your Volvo. Such as an intake, an intercooler, a tune and a full exhaust, these mods will be able to support the improved performance that this turbo gives you, while also allowing everything to run smoothly and have your car run right.

I also personally do not recommend that you do not get the hybrid turbo. If you are actually looking for more power, you will get bored and max out the hybrid turbo, and then you will need to upgrade the turbo again. Go big or go home

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have full turbo back exhaust and P* tune but it looks like I'd need a stage 2 tune in place of the P*

·
Registered
727 Posts
I do have full turbo back exhaust and P* tune but it looks like I'd need a stage 2 tune in place of the P*
You will need a stage 2 tune, as well as an intercooler, and a full intake.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Before you get this turbo, you are going to want to get a couple more upgrades on your Volvo. Such as an intake, an intercooler, a tune and a full exhaust, these mods will be able to support the improved performance that this turbo gives you, while also allowing everything to run smoothly and have your car run right.

I also personally do not recommend that you do not get the hybrid turbo. If you are actually looking for more power, you will get bored and max out the hybrid turbo, and then you will need to upgrade the turbo again. Go big or go home

Might need to upgrade injectors and possibly the pump depending on what level of boost you intend to push. I would also recommend an AFR/boost gauge as well if you don’t already have one. Someone might chime in on the manifold as to whether or not it will become a bottleneck which will limit your potential as well. As Bil....has stated you will need to improve the FMIC and intake as well. IATs are going to start to creep up pretty quick. Again destroying your potential.

·
Registered
75 Posts

What car are you putting this into? Is it FWD or AWD. On a FWD car I would not recommend upgrading the engine over what you already have. It will drive like ****. I played around with this on a C70 and after test driving one that had a full on engine upgrade with all the bells and whistles to support the massive turbo I am glad I didn't go for it.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
What car are you putting this into? Is it FWD or AWD. On a FWD car I would not recommend upgrading the engine over what you already have. It will drive like ****. I played around with this on a C70 and after test driving one that had a full on engine upgrade with all the bells and whistles to support the massive turbo I am glad I didn't go for it.
My FWD runs and handles just fine. North of 4 and a quarter whp. Albeit I have addressed the suspension/tires/bushings/motor mounts etc. Zero wheel hop and torque steer is a near non-issue. The moral of the story is that there is a lot to be done when doubling the factory hp or more than just making it work. To make it work right......takes more money and effort. To make it work right and not fail.....takes a considerable amount of money and effort. More power=more failure points, there is no need to tell you what they are as the car will tell you that as you start to brake things. I was trashing OEM motor mounts almost instantly and am now upgrading the shafts to bespoke 800whp shafts to handle the torque already being thrown at it and give me some ceiling to be able to beat on it without wrecking them as quickly.

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
75 Posts
My FWD runs and handles just fine. North of 4 and a quarter whp. Albeit I have addressed the suspension/tires/bushings/motor mounts etc. Zero wheel hop and torque steer is a near non-issue. The moral of the story is that there is a lot to be done when doubling the factory hp or more than just making it work. To make it work right......takes more money and effort. To make it work right and not fail.....takes a considerable amount of money and effort. More power=more failure points, there is no need to tell you what they are as the car will tell you that as you start to brake things. I was trashing OEM motor mounts almost instantly and am now upgrading the shafts to bespoke 800whp shafts to handle the torque already being thrown at it and give me some ceiling to be able to beat on it without wrecking them as quickly.
In the US that might be an option. Here in Germany I would have to get almost everything custom certified to get it through TUEV and that wasn't worth the money for me. Basically take what you spent and double it for all the different custom certifications. It also depends on the car you have. With a sedan you might be ok, with a convertible like the C70 II it doesn't work well. The car I test drove was one that had about as much work put into it as yours and it didn't handle well. Fun on a straightaway but not something I would take on a mountain pass or a curvy road.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
In the US that might be an option. Here in Germany I would have to get almost everything custom certified to get it through TUEV and that wasn't worth the money for me. Basically take what you spent and double it for all the different custom certifications. It also depends on the car you have. With a sedan you might be ok, with a convertible like the C70 II it doesn't work well. The car I test drove was one that had about as much work put into it as yours and it didn't handle well. Fun on a straightaway but not something I would take on a mountain pass or a curvy road.
Well I’ll have it here at my house in France soon and the roads are pretty twisty in the Dordogne so we’ll see. Where you at in Deutschland? My wife is German from Schweinfurt area.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I’ll have it here at my house in France soon and the roads are pretty twisty in the Dordogne so we’ll see. Where you at in Deutschland? My wife is German from Schweinfurt area.
I am based in Bingen am Rhein. So pretty close to the French Border. I was based in the South near Basel and had fits of jealousy everytime I saw what the Swiss could get away with in Mods without breaking the bank. Germany is nuts when it comes to regulations and whats worse is that they always do something different from everyone else so you can't even import. Just look at eScooters. Everywhere else you don't need a stupid plate and the things can go 25... Germany you need a plate and it can only go 20... I am German myself but it's moments like those that I remember why I left Germany about 20 years ago. If it wasn't for the sucky work life balance in the US I would have stayed.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I am based in Bingen am Rhein. So pretty close to the French Border. I was based in the South near Basel and had fits of jealousy everytime I saw what the Swiss could get away with in Mods without breaking the bank. Germany is nuts when it comes to regulations and whats worse is that they always do something different from everyone else so you can't even import. Just look at eScooters. Everywhere else you don't need a stupid plate and the things can go 25... Germany you need a plate and it can only go 20... I am German myself but it's moments like those that I remember why I left Germany about 20 years ago. If it wasn't for the sucky work life balance in the US I would have stayed.
Yeah, my wife tries to ship things from Germany to France and there is almost always a hiccup. We love it in France though. Like you say, life/work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might need to upgrade injectors and possibly the pump depending on what level of boost you intend to push. I would also recommend an AFR/boost gauge as well if you don’t already have one. Someone might chime in on the manifold as to whether or not it will become a bottleneck which will limit your potential as well. As Bil....has stated you will need to improve the FMIC and intake as well. IATs are going to start to creep up pretty quick. Again destroying your potential.
I am just going to give the IPD power tune a shot for now and hold off on any more bolt-ons. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I am just going to give the IPD power tune a shot for now and hold off on any more bolt-ons. Thanks for everyone's input.
At the very least you should upgrade your intercooler. My stock intercooler couldn’t keep up with the Polestar tune let alone a much more aggressive state of tune. My DO88 fmic gave much more consistent power and throttle response. You’ll miss out on a lot of what that tune has to offer unless you get an upgraded fmic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At the very least you should upgrade your intercooler. My stock intercooler couldn’t keep up with the Polestar tune let alone a much more aggressive state of tune. My DO88 fmic gave much more consistent power and throttle response. You’ll miss out on a lot of what that tune has to offer unless you get an upgraded fmic.
Problem is finding one that fits with the collision warning sensors

·
Registered
55 Posts
Problem is finding one that fits with the collision warning sensors
Do88 Intercooler is available for cars with the radar in the grill

I installed this unit about a month back along with the d088 intercooler piping kit ..everything lined up perfectly and I was able to do the complete install in about 4 hours with the help of a set of car ramps..

I echo bunspeed's comments.. car provides more consistent power output in all weather conditions.. it does no feel like it falls flat after being on boost a lot .. throttle response is very good.. Currently running stock exhaust and hilton stage 1 tune..

·
Registered
913 Posts
Absolute waste of time and money at this point without a supporting tune.....and there are none out there. Prove me wrong and show me timeslips. bunnspeed and I , and a few other have posted the fastest ETs, without almost any mods. Look at my sig for times. These cars are the wrong platform if you want large gains from mods....very disappointing

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Absolute waste of time and money at this point without a supporting tune.....and there are none out there. Prove me wrong and show me timeslips. bunnspeed and I , and a few other have posted the fastest ETs, without almost any mods. Look at my sig for times. These cars are the wrong platform if you want large gains from mods....very disappointing
Yes you will need supporting mods. Pretty sure they also say that in the listing..
Hilton has tuned these once all supporting mods are installed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do88 Intercooler is available for cars with the radar in the grill

I installed this unit about a month back along with the d088 intercooler piping kit ..everything lined up perfectly and I was able to do the complete install in about 4 hours with the help of a set of car ramps..

I echo bunspeed's comments.. car provides more consistent power output in all weather conditions.. it does no feel like it falls flat after being on boost a lot .. throttle response is very good.. Currently running stock exhaust and hilton stage 1 tune..

View attachment 128132
Ill end up doing the FMIC and piping kit, plugs, and coil packs. Maybe Hilton stage 2 custom later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts