SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, RideR and I installed a relief valve in my intercooler piping. For those who don't know, the relief valve is being sold by ViVA and is a valve set to open at 23 psi to release extra pressure. It is a last resort safety measure against overboosting and cracking a cylinder. As someone who has cracked a cylinder, I thought this would be a good idea.

The first step was finding a good spot for the valve. We decided that the cold side of the intercooler would probably be best since this was after the pressure drop and closest to what the intake manifold would be seeing.

When I installed my intercooler, I used the IPD aluminum throttle body pipe. This turned out to be the pipe we would use.

Taking the pipe out was pretty simple. After removing the air box, the couplers are easily accessible.

Next up was welding in the bung for the relief valve. Started by grinding down and bung to sit flush with the pipe surface.

Next up, we drilled a hole in the pipe to match the inner diameter of the bung.

After some touch up with a Dremel, we were ready to weld.

Here are some pictures of it back in place.

Hopefully I never hear it open. The valves come pre set at 23 but can easily be adjusted. We wanted to choose an opening pressure that wouldn't be set off by spikes during gear changes (auto transmission), but low enough that it would protect the engine.

Special thanks to RideR for his fine welding :D

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Looks real good! I thought about this too as I hit 25psi often on pulls, luckily, I know when I think I might boost too much cause i'm looking for it.

I might do this too! Nice setup and welds!

·
Registered
691 Posts
A question then. Why is ipd coming out with a bigger turbo for their stage 3 if where cracking cylinders with our stock turbos? I'm not a mechanic but I think it would make sense to ask such a question right?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A question then. Why is ipd coming out with a bigger turbo for their stage 3 if where cracking cylinders with our stock turbos? I'm not a mechanic but I think it would make sense to ask such a question right?
While our turbos can generate unsafe pressures under the right (or wrong conditions), I would think it safer for a larger turbo to handle a stage 3 tune.

In my case, my wastegate line off the TCV became disconnected causing me to boost to 30 psi in a split second and crack a cylinder.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
a bigger turbo doesn't have to give more psi to make more power necessarily. If the bigger turbo can flow more air at a lower psi then you don't need to be boosting to 25 psi although it would be nice!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
a bigger turbo doesn't have to give more psi to make more power necessarily. If the bigger turbo can flow more air at a lower psi then you don't need to be boosting to 25 psi although it would be nice!
truth!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
yep, very nice job...I've been meaning to put one on for about a year now...thanks, you helped me remember...aaaand love and behold just got me one...it is going to be a nice 60$ project. :D

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Looks good I think ill pm you if you would be willing to do mine also when I pick it up.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It's a matter of consistency and reliability. Our turbos can spike very high, but they are working overtime to do so. As you increase the speed which it spools, the bearing life becomes significantly shorter. If you get a larger turbo, it doesn't have to spool as fast to push the same amount of air into the engine. The internal turbo pressure will also be significantly less because you're pushing more volume at slower speed, so it eavens out.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Nice job Patrick. I will be getting one very soon. I don't want to have to go threw another motor.
Well worth the $$ if its going to save you in the long run. Great work, great welds.
Good job guys!

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
If you get a larger turbo, it doesn't have to spool as fast to push the same amount of air into the engine. The internal turbo pressure will also be significantly less because you're pushing more volume at slower speed, so it evens out.
OK that makes sense for the turbo itself, but you're only enlarging the turbo, not all the piping after that through the IC and the intake manifold into the cylinder... so how is it that a larger turbo pushing the same volume of air as a smaller turbo is less likely to crack a cylinder? The cylinder is the same size, so measured at that point, same volume also means same PSI...

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
OK that makes sense for the turbo itself, but you're only enlarging the turbo, not all the piping after that through the IC and the intake manifold into the cylinder... so how is it that a larger turbo pushing the same volume of air as a smaller turbo is less likely to crack a cylinder? The cylinder is the same size, so measured at that point, same volume also means same PSI...
It can move more air, with less boost. The more boost, the hotter the coolant can be therefore cracking a cylinder wall. Less boost, less heat

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
It can move more air, with less boost. The more boost, the hotter the coolant can be therefore cracking a cylinder wall. Less boost, less heat
OK maybe we should clarify, where are we measuring the "boost"? At the turbo? Or inside the cylinder (or at least inside the intake manifold)?

If you're saying that a bigger turbo can push more air mass at the same boost levels, well the only way that can happen is if the air is colder. In which case though, why not just go with a bigger (more efficient) intercooler instead?

I guess compare these scenarios:

Small turbo produces a very hot 30psi -> air passes though massive intercooler resulting in 15psi at the intake manifold at 20F over ambient air temp.
Large turbo produces a relatively cool 18psi -> air passes through an intercooler resulting in 15psi at the intake manifold at 20F over ambient air temp.

These two scenarios will produce the same HP with the same likelihood of cracking a cylinder, correct?

So again, how can a larger turbo allow you to run more air (more PSI at same temperature) than a smaller turbo? (I'm assuming that no matter what, you can get a "sufficiently large intercooler" in there to give you near-ambient intake temperatures.)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That's not how turbos work. A massive turbo can flow more cfm at the same pressure ratio. 7 psi on a gtx55 might be more flow than 30 psi on our tiny k24.

All things being equal, the turbo setup is a dynamic system.

Ipd job is to make a bigger turbo setup. Your job is to have a motor that can take it.

If you want the most the stock block can take viva has the turbo for you. Ipd will have your back if you want more. At the top levels of drag racing people blow up all the time. It's the nature of the beast.

Keep in mind that exhaust manifold pressure will be very high when you push a small turbo super high boost levels. This can cause all sorts of problems as well.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Pretty sure ipds kit is for a stock block and head.
I am not saying that it won't work with both, I am saying that there will probably be support to go beyond what the stock internals will take.

People have fioound the limits of the block with the stock turbo in some cases.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Pretty sure ipds kit is for a stock block and head.
Agreed that IPD is designing there Stg III to take the Stock R from that Stg II 360/70ish bhp to a nice 420-430ish bhp. with ****(their tune)**** Although with more supporting mods like pistons, sleeves, rods, custom tuning, I am pretty sure that turbo can give the R quite a bit more, not to mention the addition of cams.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts