SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I wanted to leave something here for the community. I did before and after runs on the same mustang dyno. Below are the runs and info. Average numbers are 276awhp and 340awtq. The 350 I think was a fluke spike as every other run I did was 340awtq.

NOW

I re-dynoed again this am. Some interesting results which I am sure everyone has been dying to see. The runs with the FMIC install rendered the same 340AWTQ as the baseline runs, and I gained 8AWHP(284AWHP) vs my stock run at 276awhp.

ALSO!!!

You can see by the graph below that at 4500RPMS all the way to red line I gained an average 13awhp and 13awtq over my baseline dyno runs. It still gets even better. The dyno runs with the FMIC installed showed that I was only pumping out 14.5 psi vs the 16.5 psi on my baseline dyno. 2 PSI less and HP and TQ gains across the curve. To me that is outstanding. It is important to note we are not looking for max "PEAK" power but to see how the curve was changed with the FMIC installed.

Please note that Volvo uses a torque driven ECU system and I did not lose PSI due to the larger FMIC, it was just that the ECU only needed 14.5 PSI to make the requested torque. The temperature was also roughly 20 degrees hotter out on this run vs my baseline dyno (50F vs 70F)

Any questions or comments please let me know, happy to help.

Connor

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, those aren't blow-you-away improvements, but improvements nonetheless. I believe the other guy, Northwest Moose, put both the DP and the IC on at the same time and has reported having issues with CEL's. I was on the fence about doing these mods, but you've sold me. I think I will follow your lead and purchase the IC and the Snabb silicone hoses. Viva talked these items up, but without definitive proof of any performance gains, I refused to commit financially(even with the discounted group buy). Thanks so much for doing all the research and coming back with actual numbers. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, those aren't blow-you-away improvements, but improvements nonetheless. I believe the other guy, Northwest Moose, put both the DP and the IC on at the same time and has reported having issues with CEL's. I was on the fence about doing these mods, but you've sold me. I think I will follow your lead and purchase the IC and the Snabb silicone hoses. Viva talked these items up, but without definitive proof of any performance gains, I refused to commit financially(even with the discounted group buy). Thanks so much for doing all the research and coming back with actual numbers. Much appreciated.
Based on the results, if Viva made an engine tune for the CAC, there may be a fairly significant power bump! Unfortunately till then the gains are fairly small...

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Based on the results, if Viva made an engine tune for the CAC, there may be a fairly significant power bump! Unfortunately till then the gains are fairly small...
I would not say the gains are small in any way. FMIC are not designed to increase ones horsepower and torque per-say. The Main focus of a FMIC is to allow cooler charge air thus allowing for more performance and longer pulls/runs. Now 8awhp is a sizeable chunk as well at 13 tq and 13hp from 4500RPM+ not saying that this is the BIGGEST gain....but I made the same power and even a bit more at 2...TWO psi less.....in warmer weather...That right there is AWESOME.

Happy to help. Performance gains or not....its only going to help the car especially when everything is tied together down the road... I have no problem spending money even if it helps in the tiniest bit. Others on the other hand have a hard time spending money with out cold hard facts. Someone had to do it! :)

C

·
Registered
105 Posts
Happy to help. Performance gains or not....its only going to help the car especially when everything is tied together down the road... I have no problem spending money even if it helps in the tiniest bit. Others on the other hand have a hard time spending money with out cold hard facts. Someone had to do it! :)

C[/QUOTE]Agreed. I am one of the "others". Thanks again.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would not say the gains are small in any way. FMIC are not designed to increase ones horsepower and torque per-say. The Main focus of a FMIC is to allow cooler charge air thus allowing for more performance and longer pulls/runs. Now 8awhp is a sizeable chunk as well at 13 tq and 13hp from 4500RPM+ not saying that this is the BIGGEST gain....but I made the same power and even a bit more at 2...TWO psi less.....in warmer weather...That right there is AWESOME.

C
Out of curiosity, where was the pressure tap? Was it pre or post CAC? I'm wondering if you are seeing more power due to less pressure drop through the CAC...

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
An intercooler isn't expected to be a power adder; it's a power keeper, allowing you to keep and maintain optimal power without it tapering off on a long pull or after repeated pulls, or, obviously, when a hot day would otherwise cause instant heat soak. The fact that a good IC does add any power is an added bonus. Just think of how much extra power you'd have compared with the stocker on a 95 degree day, or after hot-lapping at the drag strip or auto-X track.

Also remember that the dyno pulls occur at around room temperature with a stationary car. Results would be even better with added airflow at elevated speeds on the open road.

Plus 13whp is what, about 20hp at the crank? That's a pretty decent percent increase at sub-peak horsepower levels throughout the midrange. That's a damn good gain for hardware alone, and one that a butt dyno would notice right away. Plus if the extra power is attributed to better airflow, this could possibly allow the turbo to spool faster and yield better throttle response on top of extra power. Sounds like a great mod for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My CEL's came on after downpipe install (before the intercooler went on), so those had nothing to do with the FMIC for the record.

Not sure if it was somehow the magic combo of both the DP and the FMIC, or if my engine didn't really "adapt" to the DP until after the FMIC went in, and timing was just a coincidence.

From my perspective, just the DP (on top of P* tune) was a "eh, not bad", and then after adding the FMIC it was a "holy [email protected], this thing is awesome".

Assuming it's some combination of the two, then I highly recommend both (though I'd do the FMIC first if I had it to do over again).

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
My CEL's came on after downpipe install (before the intercooler went on), so those had nothing to do with the FMIC for the record.

Not sure if it was somehow the magic combo of both the DP and the FMIC, or if my engine didn't really "adapt" to the DP until after the FMIC went in, and timing was just a coincidence.

From my perspective, just the DP (on top of P* tune) was a "eh, not bad", and then after adding the FMIC it was a "holy [email protected], this thing is awesome".

Assuming it's some combination of the two, then I highly recommend both (though I'd do the FMIC first if I had it to do over again).
That is precisely why I will hold off for the time being on the downpipe. Having to deal with a on-again/off-again CEL issue (or even the smelly exhaust that you mentioned) would drive me nuts. Viva may have tried to present a solution with the spacer, but unless it's proven to work, I won't dish out over $1000 for that product. I do hope you're able to get it resolved soon, without much difficulty.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Ordered an additional 45* o2 spacer today. We'll see what happens!

·
Registered
81 Posts
An intercooler isn't expected to be a power adder; it's a power keeper, allowing you to keep and maintain optimal power without it tapering off on a long pull or after repeated pulls, or, obviously, when a hot day would otherwise cause instant heat soak. The fact that a good IC does add any power is an added bonus. Just think of how much extra power you'd have compared with the stocker on a 95 degree day, or after hot-lapping at the drag strip or auto-X track.

Also remember that the dyno pulls occur at around room temperature with a stationary car. Results would be even better with added airflow at elevated speeds on the open road.

Plus 13whp is what, about 20hp at the crank? That's a pretty decent percent increase at sub-peak horsepower levels throughout the midrange. That's a damn good gain for hardware alone, and one that a butt dyno would notice right away. Plus if the extra power is attributed to better airflow, this could possibly allow the turbo to spool faster and yield better throttle response on top of extra power. Sounds like a great mod for a variety of reasons.
Trust me when I say that I probably know more about CAC's than almost anybody here and I am VERY aware on how they work and the theory behind them!
Anyhow, the only way it should have added power from the baseline dyno are:
1.) the stock IC didn't provide enough cooling forcing the ECU to retard timing, unlikely because his 3 pulls were very consistent.
2.) The aftermarket CAC has less pressure drop allowing, essentially allowing more air mass into the engine. Possible since it didn't require as much boost pressure, but depends on location that the pressure was measured hence my question above.
3.) Questionable dyno accuracy...

Finally, all said this looks to be a substantial benefit. I would be interested to see if anyone in cooler climates has any issues from overcooling.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Out of curiosity, where was the pressure tap? Was it pre or post CAC? I'm wondering if you are seeing more power due to less pressure drop through the CAC...
We tapped boost right off the throttle body vacuum nipple

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like I'll be ordering a FMIC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts