SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my slave cylinder went out and I'm thinking of doing some upgrades while in in there. In the future I want to do a downpipe, intercooler, and a tune. Would the S60R/V70R clutch be a good match for that much power? And does anyone have any experience with Viva's 17.75lbs single mass flywheel? How loud is the clutch chatter? Is it too light for a daily driver? Should I be going with the SPEC 10mm Dowel Pin Style or the Original 6mm?
I'm also replacing the rear main seal, updated slave design along with the updated air vent pipe, and getting the angle gear inspected. Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? Also is the Ford electric Focus torque mount a good upgrade?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I should have weighed my Valeo SMF but my Valeo SMF conversion kit is very quiet.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hey guys my slave cylinder went out and I'm thinking of doing some upgrades while in in there. In the future I want to do a downpipe, intercooler, and a tune. Would the S60R/V70R clutch be a good match for that much power? And does anyone have any experience with Viva's 17.75lbs single mass flywheel? How loud is the clutch chatter? Is it too light for a daily driver? Should I be going with the SPEC 10mm Dowel Pin Style or the Original 6mm?
I'm also replacing the rear main seal, updated slave design along with the updated air vent pipe, and getting the angle gear inspected. Is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? Also is the Ford electric Focus torque mount a good upgrade?
I have read Spec's are unpredictable in terms of quality, honestly I'm going Viva SMF and the OEM S60R clutch kit when time comes to avoid any potential issue.

The genuine ford focus torque mount is good. I would honestly recommend the solid aluminum torque mount if you can stomach it. It adds mild vibration at idle, and about 1200RPM is teeth shaking, but everywhere else is just SO WORTH the break in period (about 1000mi) and you learn how to stay out of the bad low RPMs. Worth every penny of its $100 cost, and best part won't fail in the future, ever whereas OEM and worse have been shown to fail or split and cause issues as low as 25k on highly modded guys. I commute daily 2.5 hours or 120mi, and I will not go back to another torque mount ever.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Did you search on this at all? There are quite a few clutch related threads on here...

You don't need to upgrade the clutch for the mods you have suggested. If you are going to put a K16 on it, then maybe a stronger clutch would be of benefit. SMF will introduce gear rattle in the M66, so be prepared for it to sound like a diesel at idle.

SPEC is typically expensive crap. I resorted to their Stage III setup when I went beyond the 400AWHP the SMF AP Racing setup I had could hold. That was a delight to operate, unlike the Neanderthal feel of the SPEC.

SPEC was a **** show, went through 2 flywheels, 3 discs, & 2 PP's before I got a reliable setup (in terms of holding power), and it was nasty to drive. Expensive just for all the parts, thankfully I was providing the labor, or it would have been stupid money. Didn't get beyond 500AWHP before I killed the motor on that build, so I cannot speak to longevity.

I still have the complete (unsprung) setup I removed from my C30 - can't bring myself to throw it out after what I spent on it all

You can get a complete Focus MKII RS clutch kit with flywheel from the UK for LESS that anywhere in the US, even allowing for the shipping costs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts