SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
How many here has that turbo!??
Is it good!? Any effects numbers!? Do you need a new tune!?

Grateful for answers!;)

//Tristan

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Talk to George not this guy who did not have a tune for this turbo, and there are different factors to his dyno runs to. Dude ur a idiot for posting that like you did.

·
Super Moderator
14,824 Posts
Talk to George not this guy who did not have a tune for this turbo, and there are different factors to his dyno runs to. Dude ur a idiot for posting that like you did.
Actually those numbers are pretty much right on par for a "clipped" turbine turbo.
You see about 20-25whp gain across the mid-RPM range (which is better than some I've seen) and then it falls flat on its face around 6krpm and that's because our turbo is just not able to keep up with the flow. If you are looking for drastic improvements to HP, you're looking at a turbo upgrade outside of the K24 frame.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Actually those numbers are pretty much right on par for a "clipped" turbine turbo.
You see about 20-25whp gain across the mid-RPM range (which is better than some I've seen) and then it falls flat on its face around 6krpm and that's because our turbo is just not able to keep up with the flow. If you are looking for drastic improvements to HP, you're looking at a turbo upgrade outside of the K24 frame.
+Juan

I want a ball bearing turbo. Just for longevity's sake.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
uh, doesn't that dyno show the stock > viva? maybe my colorblindness is getting worse...

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Does anyone have the link to Georges dyno run with the stage 3 tune for this turbo? Petew just threw this up there for this guy to see without any information like if it was tuned for the turbo and had all the required supporting mods so you will see a gain not a loss. I am looking into a turbo from George and Petew first post almost made me not want it. Not trying to argue with anyone over it just think MR R should know the facts.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Does anyone have the link to Georges dyno run with the stage 3 tune for this turbo? Petew just threw this up there for this guy to see without any information like if it was tuned for the turbo and had all the required supporting mods so you will see a gain not a loss. I am looking into a turbo from George and Petew first post almost made me not want it. Not trying to argue with anyone over it just think MR R should know the facts.

The vid.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
i've also been looking into the ViVa turbo. I even have a spare turbo waiting for the core charge.

I haven't seen anything but gains/improvements from the ViVa.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
You want to sell me the spare Im on the hunt as we speak I got cash money?

·
Super Moderator
14,824 Posts
ok. i was a bit confused about what phuzzy said. sometimes colors mess me up.
lol, I read it wrong. Well, the clipped turbos do have a longer lag than non-clipped turbos, but it should have rebounded. I thought 20-25whp gain was quite a bit for a clipped turbo.
Sorry for my color blindness :)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
You might want to reach out to R Kelly, IIRC he recently went the Viva Turbo & Tune route & can give you his opinion of the cost vs. benefit

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
You might want to reach out to R Kelly, IIRC he recently went the Viva Turbo & Tune route & can give you his opinion of the cost vs. benefit
Hopefully he will chime in then.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ohhh that are nice numbers,better than the E85 crap!!
I will order that fan!! :)
Thx all!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have heard poor reviews of the bang for your buck on this mod (I will leave names out so they can quote themselves properly). If I was going to spend the money, I would feel like I might as well go for the turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
I have a Hybrid 24 and Boosted does too on the silver car.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Sh*t just got real...

And yeah if i was gunna pull the turbo for upgrade reasons..not maintenance..i would get a different one..

And fyi the front 02 is a wide band on these cars as well...if you have the right software or whatever you can see it...my buddy is a tune master and made me a tune..and an update is comin soon with launch control...can build full boost at stand still i guess...and multiple maps via 4c buttons...not that i need any of that..

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Tristan. The tune is the most important part, everything else just supports the tune.

here's my comment on what I posted:

without everything, you get nothing.
So what exactly are you saying? Are you saying that the stock KKK24 will out perform Viva's hybrid turbo in EVERY hardware configuration? So stick with the stock turbo? Or are you saying that in the absence of a stage III tune you won't see any improvement over a stock turbo? I'm very confused by your posts. Please clarify.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
The tune is required to unlock the potential of the hybrid turbo.

With the variable valve timing, I think they can honestly tune an engine to a turbo.

The stock tune will likely not go too crazy on the cam timing with a stock setup, because it doesn't want to overboost, but with the clipped wheel of the hybrid, it probably could afford to.

I'm just on a stock(blown seals) turbo at this point. I've considered the ViVa one, but I'm not looking for crazy power, just what I've got now on my stage 2 and more longevity.

I'd love for a bolt on ball bearing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts