SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to figure out what I want to do. Getting a tune from lucky and at the same time upgrading my cbv. Anyone have any experience running an external recirc valve, versus the viva cbv upgrade?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I would just stick with the Viva Forge CBV, I don't think the K24 is going to benefit from an external BOV.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I would say CBV also. Can handle all the flow the K24 stock or modified can pump out in between shifts and it won't require extra tuning to allow for the loss of measured air.I will suggest that if you go external BOV the closer that you mount the BOV to the throttle body the better the transition response between shifts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just to clarify the tial qr is not a blowoff valve, its a recirculation valve that will vent back in to the intake, incase anyone was confused

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I would say CBV also. Can handle all the flow the K24 stock or modified can pump out in between shifts and it won't require extra tuning to allow for the loss of measured air.I will suggest that if you go external BOV the closer that you mount the BOV to the throttle body the better the transition response between shifts.
OP isn't talking about a BOV, he's talking about an external recirculation valve, basically a CBV that's mounted closer to the throttle body.

I think it'd be interesting to get some comparison's between the upgraded CBV and external recirculation valve.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Awe! Thanks for clarifying, that would be interesting indeed. Though are the small benfits worth all the extra fabrication.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
{raises hand} I was confused. I haven't seen any posts that I can recall on the Tial, I just know the Forge CBV works well for me.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
{raises hand} I was confused. I haven't seen any posts that I can recall on the Tial, I just know the Forge CBV works well for me.
Tial does not make a cbv replacement for the KKK 24. He would place a block off plate on the turbo and fabricate a custom pipe with the Tial valve installed and plumb it back into the turbo inlet pipe after the MAF.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I get it now, I didn't realize the QR was designed for recirculation. Looking it up the QR is like $250, plus about $35 for the block off plate and ?$ for the fab to get the valve installed. What are the benefits of having the blow-off recirculated from a different location?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The closer to the throttle body you can mount the valve the better on / off throttle response will be. For audio loudness the hot side close to the turbo outlet is recommended. For better throttle response and valve function / longevity, (since the air is cooler) closer to the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yup, the QR is a very nice recirc BOV. That's what I am running in my BMW and it really quiets the sound down. I also ran it to help keep the turbo spooled b/t shifts.

There was a big debate about placement on bimmeforums. No one could really substantiate claims for either hot/cold side with hard data. It seemed to all be mostly opinion. I ran mine closer to the turbo as I thought the point was to prevent turbo surge... Many felt that since when it opens, the air exits so fast that it doesn't really matter which side.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
decided to go with the forge cbv. Between the two i do not think there may have been a big difference and its another 100 bucks i can put towards my tune. My question now is if i install the forge cbv this week, would it be okay to drive around for two days with the tuned spring in, but without a tune? the reason why i am asking is because im sending out my ecu next week for a tune and would like to install the tuned spring the first time around instead of doing it again

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Yes install with the tuned spring you will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts