SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gents,

I'm new to the whole Volvo scene (if there is one). This is actually my wife's 2008 XC90. I have always worked on all of my vehicles. I've found that Volvo likes to do things a bit different.
I've also found that this website has all if not most answers to my questions.
I haven't been able to find an answer to the key fob. She got the car from a used car lot and it came with a valet key and a Viper alarm key fob.
Here is one thing that I noticed, last year I searched for "installing an aftermarket unit on XC90", everything kept pointing to "it's impossible unless you're an electrical engineer" which I've now found is not true according to the sticky on the XC90's sub category.
Can an aftermarket fob be programmed with the OEM system?
Was there a brave soul that managed to install a basic alarm system on my wife's car?

I appreciate everyone's input and help.

Thank you.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Can an aftermarket fob be programmed with the OEM system?
Was there a brave soul that managed to install a basic alarm system on my wife's car?
Technically, yes you could as all key fobs work pretty much the same way: they use a Rolling Code which needs to be synchronised to the car:

However each manufacturer encodes the data slightly differently (I'm picking a different encryption key) and this is what stops a lot of other keyfobs being able to be synchronised to the car.

As for you second question: there are 327 Million people in the USA, of which around 1/3 or 100 million are of working age.

So you question is: "Was there a brave soul in the 100 million working age people in the USA that installed an alarm on my wife's car?"
That's a 1-in-a-million question.
But we can apply further logic: if the alarm is fitted, then a YES is the correct answer.

And by the way: it is no more difficult to install an alarm on a Volvo than many other cars.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The XC90 has a standard alarm system, so I’m not sure why anyone would install aftermarket. Does the remote do anything/work? If not, sounds like the dealer may have just thrown one in with it to make it seem like it has a remote.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Technically, yes you could as all key fobs work pretty much the same way: they use a Rolling Code which needs to be synchronised to the car:

However each manufacturer encodes the data slightly differently (I'm picking a different encryption key) and this is what stops a lot of other keyfobs being able to be synchronised to the car.

As for you second question: there are 327 Million people in the USA, of which around 1/3 or 100 million are of working age.

So you question is: "Was there a brave soul in the 100 million working age people in the USA that installed an alarm on my wife's car?"
That's a 1-in-a-million question.
But we can apply further logic: if the alarm is fitted, then a YES is the correct answer.

And by the way: it is no more difficult to install an alarm on a Volvo than many other cars.
It was my understanding that these vehicles used fiber optics instead of copper cable?
I just downloaded the service manual from the sticky, I'll be doing some diving this afternoon.

If Volvo is no different from any other vehicle, why do most make a big deal of working on these cars?

I appreciate your input and clarification.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The XC90 has a standard alarm system, so I’m not sure why anyone would install aftermarket. Does the remote do anything/work? If not, sounds like the dealer may have just thrown one in with it to make it seem like it has a remote.
It works, locks and unlocks, but not as it should.
I have to press the button multiple times in order for all doors to unlock.
Now that Swissxc90 has clarified that this vehicle is no different than any other, I supposed I just have to find the right gear to install a remote start.
Just off the top of your heads, has anyone in the forum logged an install for remote start?

Thank you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Unless I misunderstood you, that's standard on Volvo vehicles -- pressing unlock once just unlocks the driver's door, pressing unlock again right afterwards unlocks all the other doors.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Now that Swissxc90 has clarified that this vehicle is no different than any other, I supposed I just have to find the right gear to install a remote start.
Just off the top of your heads, has anyone in the forum logged an install for remote start?
For a remote start you need to

1. Fit a relay or two to emulate turning the ignition to PosII so that the vehicle is powered up
2. Sacrifice an existing key and fit the transponder chip internally to the ignition switch to permanently defeat the immobiliser (otherwise vehicle is immobilised). Note that the vehicle immobiliser is thus permanently bypassed!!
3. Fit another relay to emulate the START position on the ignition switch

And wire the relays to the remote starter kit

That should do it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It was my understanding that these vehicles used fiber optics instead of copper cable?
The fiber is only in the MOST audio system bus (same as how Mercedes and BMW do their audio systems these days)

If Volvo is no different from any other vehicle, why do most make a big deal of working on these cars?
Mainly through lack of knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Unless I misunderstood you, that's standard on Volvo vehicles -- pressing unlock once just unlocks the driver's door, pressing unlock again right afterwards unlocks all the other doors.
In some markets, and mostly only if you want it to.

I have my car setup to unlock all doors at the same time when the UNLOCK button is pressed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish it was as yours is, I have to press the button more than twice.
One press unlocks driver door, two nothing, three nothing, four unlocks the rest of the doors including rear hatch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For a remote start you need to

1. Fit a relay or two to emulate turning the ignition to PosII so that the vehicle is powered up
2. Sacrifice an existing key and fit the transponder chip internally to the ignition switch to permanently defeat the immobiliser (otherwise vehicle is immobilised). Note that the vehicle immobiliser is thus permanently bypassed!!
3. Fit another relay to emulate the START position on the ignition switch

And wire the relays to the remote starter kit

That should do it.
I appreciate your help sir.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
In some markets, and mostly only if you want it to.

I have my car setup to unlock all doors at the same time when the UNLOCK button is pressed.
How? Is this a Vida thing?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
One press unlocks driver door, two nothing, three nothing, four unlocks the rest of the doors including rear hatch.
If the second press comes to quickly after the first it won't work. "One Mississippi...."

·
Registered
621 Posts
How? Is this a Vida thing?
I'll have to read the UK manual for my car (MY2009), I thought it was a car function.

Found this in the USA manual:
UNLOCK
Press this button once to unlock the driver's door only. Wait for at least 1 second and press the button again (within 10 seconds) to unlock all doors, and the tailgate.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts