SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of wrapping my 2004 S60 with some 3M 1080 vinyl. I've always been a fan of the matte black look... and wrapping it would also keep and protect the factory grey paint.

I've done a lot of research, but what I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet is how vinyl handles extremely cold conditions. I'm in Canada, and not in the southern part, so we get down to -40 in the winter sometimes (although this winter is fairly mild so far). Also there's a ton of snow, freezing rain, and ice that decides to plant itself on the car daily.

Of course I wouldn't apply the vinyl until summer, but the question remains, should I do it? Or is the following winter going to completely ruin it?

·
Super Moderator
15,188 Posts
The vinyl should hold up just fine, but it's entirely dependent upon the quality of the application. I have a few friends in Canada who have wrapped their cars with no issues. Not sure how far north they were though.

But as you said, for a quality wrap job, make sure the temperatures are warmer. I didn't wrap my car until it was in the upper 60°s F, working in a garage as well. If you wrap the car in colder temps, the vinyl might start to stretch and bubble in the warmer months.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts