SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have a history with vinyl wrap, specifically the chrome trim (windows, rocker, etc.)? I have a '18 S90 Inscription and I've just never been much of a chrome fan, notably in much volume. Was debating ways to offset the more prestige look in favor of a sporty appearance. Of course, there wasn't an R package and I was fixed on ventilated seats so Inscription with chrome it was. I've read some of the Plasti-Dip versus Vinyl Wrap discussions and at the moment, feel vinyl wrap is the path due to more finish options, specifically the brushed metal options. Looking to see anyone with similar applications or experience. Most of the online content is younger gen BMW kids that are gloss black treating the whole car for the stealth appearance I suspect (since they probably don't know Knight Rider). I was able to order a collection of samples that fit the window trim for $1-2 each and have applied them with positive'ish results. I'll try and post those up.

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
I used to sell commercial trucks and did lots of wraps... though they were more getting the whole truck done or lettering. I would go with Vinyl over dip for a few reasons. One like you mention is the flexibilty with design/stick/surface. The other is the ability to revert back if desired down the road. My experience was always that vinyl was affordable so even if some of it pealed up in a few years you could just get it done again if you still liked it, or use it as a time to change up the style.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I completly dechromed my v90 with vinyl wrap. Everything is done, handles, exhaust, grille,....... Almost a year now I think

·
Registered
553 Posts
I completly dechromed my v90 with vinyl wrap. Everything is done, handles, exhaust, grille,....... Almost a year now I think
NICE! Did you do the VOLVO lettering in the rear? Got a pic?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wrapped the roof bars and the window trims with a matte black vinyl. But had to spray the dip for the front grill and emblem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Terpmed

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I started wrapping my chrome this past weekend.

Going for this look:

·
Registered
553 Posts
No, removed them
Much better
True...although my real choice would be the lettering to color match the paint. I used to have an Impala SS that had it like that, it was very nice.
View attachment 54027

How hard was it to wrap the roof rail?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great feedback and even better photo examples. Also glad to see I'm not the only one with the thought line. This has helped my confidence to pursue wrapping. Any feedback on installation, notably which items were wrapped on car versus off of car? The grill seems like the obvious one to want to take off where as the window trim and rockers are direct to keep on.

Since I have the samples on my car which is Onyx Black with some strong metallic, the gloss black actually doesn't mesh at all with the paint since the metallic to no metallic contrast each other poorly. Not an issue for the examples above with other base colors. We had some gnarly T-storms roll through yesterday so I didn't snag any pics of the samples I installed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, in the midst of a recurring rain system so the car is filthy, apologize for the crap clouding the quality of finish. To that point, the close up of the gloss black versus Onyx black paint was too dirty to compare since the flecks in the photo were debris. I think this system is supposed to move out after tomorrow so i'll get it clean up and reshot. Also, I like copper, especially copper tones and have painted my hop trellis copper, looks great. These samples are orange and have no chance of going on the car. Forgive the negative reaction.

All samples on:

Brushed steel left versus brushed titanium right:

Glass anthracite left versus carbon fiber anthracite right:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Again, in the midst of a recurring rain system so the car is filthy, apologize for the crap clouding the quality of finish. To that point, the close up of the gloss black versus Onyx black paint was too dirty to compare since the flecks in the photo were debris. I think this system is supposed to move out after tomorrow so i'll get it clean up and reshot. Also, I like copper, especially copper tones and have painted my hop trellis copper, looks great. These samples are orange and have no chance of going on the car. Forgive the negative reaction.
I think brushed steel looks best with your black car. Carbon fiber looks good too...but since it is not real carbon fiber it could potentially cheapen the looks of the car.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Got a pic of the back with badges gone? Just adhesive holding letters on?
I've done this to my WRX wagon and a Mazda in the past, the Mazda had a few that were pinned so had to fill holes

Every letter is just stuck with adhesive, no pins.

To OP: As for dechroming, I've heard from a couple of wrappers that they'd suggest (for the rear window trim with the sharp angles) to use a full sheet for that. Especially if you're not that experienced with wrapping. All the other window trims should be easy enough with "wrapping tape".
I'm also giving a nope for the carbon wrap. Looks cheap (and come on, isn't the whole carbon everything getting a bit tedious now?). Brushed steel looked quite nice but personally I'd probably go for the gloss anthracite.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
When I did my rear window wrap, I used a full piece of vinyl.

·
Registered
102 Posts
About how much did you spend on the vinyl, and where did you source it? I got a quote locally for a chrome delete (roof rails, mirror caps, window trim and grill) for $650. That seems just high enough for me to learn a new skill 🙂

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I get my 3M vinyl material from www.metrorestyling.com You can buy a 5' x 75' roll for $640 if you want to experiement.

I bought a 5' (60-inch wide) by 12' (144-inches) - it was about $120, plus shipping.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts