SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a parent, one of the things I nag my young kids about is, "Don't step on the blue parts!!!!" when they are getting in and out of the Volvo. However, my wife and older kids wouldn't take that very well if I were to try that with them.

I had a previous vehicle that actually had factory applied clear film along sections of the door sill to prevent scratches. I would have thought that Volvo would do the same thing, but no.

I originally bought clear 3M vinyl film, but the strip that it came in was uncut and didn't feel like cutting it to size myself. So I ordered these pre-cut ones instead, that had a carbon fiber pattern. I know, FAKE! but at least it would do its job and somewhat match the carbon fiber interior trim that I had. I don't normally apply things directly on the paint, but I think it looks better than having scratches accumulate over the years.

Here's how it looks:

Front:

Front:

Carbon fiber interior:

Rear:

It was easy to install with some soapy water and a hair dryer to smooth out wrinkles. Bonus: it only cost about $11 USD ($14 CAD) on Amazon.

My next goal is to find something for the top of the rear bumper--which I didn't think I needed when I bought the XC90, but now feel it would be good proactive protection. Has anyone else done something similar? (Not including, buying the OEM Volvo accessory, which would be a last resort for me.)

·
Registered
898 Posts
As a parent, one of the things I nag my young kids about is, "Don't step on the blue parts!!!!" when they are getting in and out of the Volvo. However, my wife and older kids wouldn't take that very well if I were to try that with them.

I had a previous vehicle that actually had factory applied clear film along sections of the door sill to prevent scratches. I would have thought that Volvo would do the same thing, but no.

I originally bought clear 3M vinyl film, but the strip that it came in was uncut and didn't feel like cutting it to size myself. So I ordered these pre-cut ones instead, that had a carbon fiber pattern. I know, FAKE! but at least it would do its job and somewhat match the carbon fiber interior trim that I had. I don't normally apply things directly on the paint, but I think it looks better than having scratches accumulate over the years.

Here's how it looks:

Front:

Front:

Carbon fiber interior:

Rear:

It was easy to install with some soapy water and a hair dryer to smooth out wrinkles. Bonus: it only cost about $11 USD ($14 CAD) on Amazon.

My next goal is to find something for the top of the rear bumper--which I didn't think I needed when I bought the XC90, but now feel it would be good proactive protection. Has anyone else done something similar? (Not including, buying the OEM Volvo accessory, which would be a last resort for me.)
That actually looks pretty good on the doors.

I had a clear bra installed and the guy offered to add a piece on the bumper loading area which looks pretty good. And almost invisible
It's a 3M film and he cut it himself and was nice enough not to charge me at all for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Haha on the nagging but that strip is definitely worth it to protect the paint. It looks great with the interior. With paint I've learned it's ea$ier to prevent or lessen problems rather than to fix them later . . .

I was planning the DIY PPF route for the door sills but seeing your dark strip makes me reconsider something more grippy so the kids don't slip from up high as they edge themselves out the door . . .

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got from alixpress. Fits well.
Probably much more durable than what I used, too!

makes me reconsider something more grippy so the kids don't slip from up high as they edge themselves out the door . . .
Good point. Some grip tape would probably work well there.

I worry, though, would it encourage them to step on that spot? The vinyl that I used is smooth and slippery, so I would probably use it as a teachable moment: "Oh, you slipped and fell on your butt? Well.... don't step on that anymore!!!" :D

BTW, my factory stainless steel door sills are covered with clear plastic that I'm pretty sure my dealership left there on purpose. I think they were supposed to take it off with the delivery prep, but I'm glad they didn't because in the second row, the kids step on them all the time.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I worry, though, would it encourage them to step on that spot?
Mine will definitely step on it! We're trying to balance child independence versus safety - every family/kid is different . . . Because their legs are still short the alternative is to jump from the inside into potentially slippery snow or ice or a puddle - and they are cRaZy enough to do just that . . . Kidz!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I went the clear film route as I had a roll leftover from previous car projects. Only did the 2 rear sills though as that was where my son and his friends sit. The trimming wasn't too bad as it's not a complex shape. I do have a roll of leftover 4D CF vinyl (it's shinier) so I may do what you did on all the sills.

For the rear bumper I've considered trimming some clear film and installing. I have the factory protection piece and it's very inadequate. I understand why it's so small, any larger would be unattractive but it's small enough that it doesn't actually cover anything.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Just ordered those carbon fiber looking ones.
They seem to be looking pretty good I’m guessing specially with onyx black might give it a neat look with the carbon fiber inlays
Let’s see how well that goes once they arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Got from alixpress. Fits well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
How well does that allow for the door weather seal to make contact around the extra plate? I'd be curious about dust or water intrusion through there (extreme use). It does look far more durable and wished that Volvo offered that as an option for integration/replace the exposed painted surface. It's more acceptable for a scuff plate to pickup scuffs than painted surface :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
How well does that allow for the door weather seal to make contact around the extra plate? I'd be curious about dust or water intrusion through there (extreme use). It does look far more durable and wished that Volvo offered that as an option for integration/replace the exposed painted surface. It's more acceptable for a scuff plate to pickup scuffs than painted surface :)
Stainless door sill scruff plate, unfortunately, old blue logo, 62 US$:

Added additional rubber seal sound insulation strips. It helps a lot.
Cost me two bucks and easy to install:

Protective film, looks nice , but easy peel off:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.