SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been encouraged to start my own progressive thread for my new to me V70R. Let the story commence!

The Back Story:
I have always been interested in Volvo’s since the S60R’s started rolling out in 2004. I even had a chance to purchase a 2004 S60R manual in 2012, but the timing wasn’t right as I was about to close on my first house. But I can say that the test drive in that S60R left a lasting impression on me. One year after buying my house, I purchased a used 2012 S60 T5 as the year round daily driver. My then fiancé and now wife moved in with me. A few months later we rescued a 100lb german shepherd/husky mix. My wife had to sell her 2012 focus because the automatic transmission was giving us never ending grief and we need something bigger so we could carry the dog around a little more comfortably, which is when we purchased a 2007 XC90 3.2 AWD. So we had two moose’s in the stable and life was good. After a few years, I decided it was time to sell my S60 and find another vehicle with just as much utility as her XC90 but was more fun to drive, which led me to my long 2 year search of finding my V70R. I sold my S60 in September 2017 and in October 2017 a V70R popped up for sale on swedespeed and it was local to me. Knowing how hard it is to find a clean manual wagon that isn’t located on the east or west coast where all these things seem to hide, I jumped on it! I test drove on Monday and took delivery on Friday. A month later I am still in shock that I know own one and enjoy every drive!

The CaR:
So what I purchased was a 2004 V70R in Titanium Gray Metallic with a Nordkap interior and a M66 transmission with 103k miles. I discovered the original owner custom ordered the vehicle and went through the over sea’s delivery program (it still has the holes in the front bumper from the euro plates). It was ordered without a sunroof, it came with the HUD-803 stereo, and the cold weather climate package. The car spent it’s entire life in California until it was in 2014 and shipped to Wisconsin. It has been in here for almost 3 years now before I purchased it as the final owner. I say “final” because I plan on putting a million miles on this caR. They don’t make anything close to this new anymore and I plan on putting the money into to keep it running in optimum shape. Here is the for sale ad I purchased the car from http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?493185-SOLD-2004-V70R-M66-Ti-nordkap-103k-miles-in-WI

Here are some pictures from the day I picked it up! In our family we name our cars, my wife's XC90 is the Tank, and the V70R is Kula (which according to google translate in Swedish means "Bullet")

Aftermarket parts:
Eurosport non-resonated (sport) catback
IPD motor and torque mounts
Enkei RSF5 18” Summer wheels

Previous Repairs:
clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder at 98k
new front 4C shocks and mounts
new front right axle
pads/rotors all around
new driveshaft
replaced angle gear collar

What needs fixing:
Currently only half of the parking brake system is working, drivers side completely gone
Weeping P/S reservoir
Timing belt job asap!
Reverse Light switch replacement
License plate bulb
RF Angle gear Axle Seal weeping
Front Lip droop
Front lower intercooler fins need paint
Alarm Siren module

Maintenance Items:
PCV system refresh
AOC filter, pump and fluid replacement (still has original DEM)
Engine Air Filter
Cabin Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Cooling System Flush
Rear 4C shocks
Rear differential Fluid

Future plans:
Winter wheel set up
Custom Plates
Window tint 30%
SS braided brake hoses
Upgrade to 05+ Center Console
Extra Sound deadening throughout the car
Sway bars and Chassis braces

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Love the name!

Keep the story going. I enjoy reading these threads.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nice looking car. I recently went through a search of my own to try and find a nice V70R or S60R but could not find one I liked that was nearby. You seem to have stumbled upon a nice example of a well kept V70R which is no easy feat considering a lot of the well kept ones are not being sold.
When I recently got my P*, one came up for sale less than an hour away and happened to be a well maintained example of one. Just like you I do not plan to sell this thing....ever.

Also kudos to the "save the manual" sticker. I have been contemplating getting vanity plates in DC that read "2PDLSUX"

·
Registered
16,438 Posts
rocketscience55- You're actually in DC? Not sure how you stomach the roads. Hope you have off street parking, man. Oy!
Agreed! VikingSpeed - nice find, great sticker and loving the wheels too. Bullet, huh? Like the Steve McQueen reference!

Nice looking car. I recently went through a search of my own to try and find a nice V70R or S60R but could not find one I liked that was nearby. You seem to have stumbled upon a nice example of a well kept V70R which is no easy feat considering a lot of the well kept ones are not being sold.
When I recently got my P*, one came up for sale less than an hour away and happened to be a well maintained example of one. Just like you I do not plan to sell this thing....ever.

Also kudos to the "save the manual" sticker. I have been contemplating getting vanity plates in DC that read "2PDLSUX"

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have to give credit on the "Save the Manuals" sticker to the previous owner, but I do plan on keeping. I do think I am going to get some different prancing moose decals in the future.
I do enjoy Steve McQueen and have a secret crush for the Bullitt Mustang, but in this case since we already had the tank so I figured we needed some ammunition... and it's quick like a bullet too!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here's Kula in the sun the next day awaiting the full inside and outside detail to bring it up to my high standards ;)
Finished detail pics to come!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your headlight wipers are on backwards, bro.

Otherwise, looking good!

Excellent choice in sticker

Wow good catch! I didn't even realize they were on backwards, any thoughts on how to fix that? I will have to go look but I am assuming I just need to loosen the nut on the wiper arm, rotate it, and re-tighten the nut

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nice motor. To me it looks like the left one needs to be on right and vice versa. There’s definitely something askew. Just by rotating them over across will alter the sweep, eg they may move into the bumper?
I’m confident you’ll figure it out. Stick some tape to the bar once you’ve removed the arms ; that way your bumper will be safe from scratches if they swipe the wrong way.
I’ve deleted mine; so I can’t remember which direction is the rest position.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Love the wheels!

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Excellent! Another Wisconsin V70R owner. They are great fun in the winter!

GLM

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent! Another Wisconsin V70R owner. They are great fun in the winter!

GLM
Another V70R owner in Wisconsin! What region are you located in? I have been taking my time getting this thing prepped for winter, should be finishing everything up this weekend. I can't wait to have some fun in snow...but we are still snow-less in SE WI

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright big update! I have been super busy the past couple of weeks getting Kula ready for winter.

- I found and installed a set 17" Pegs with General Altimax Arctic winter tires (had to clean old plastidip of the rims...what a nightmare that was)
- Replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, and timing belt Idler pulley
- Replaced the Reverse light switch on the transmission (you never know how useful back up lights are until you don't have them)
- Installed new Air Filter
- Installed new Cabin Air Filter
- Replaced the original fuel filter (all sorts of nasty crap drained out of that)
- Installed new LED plate bulbs to replace the old burned out ones
- Installed new prancing moose stickers
- Washed the car, then used Blackfire Fine Clay bar and lubricant (it is amazing what a clay bar will pick up, after 13 years I am sure this is never been done to this car, the crap that builds up especially on the flat surfaces is amazing, but its smooth as glass now)
- Used Blackfire paint polish and then used Blackfire Paint Sealant
- I used Blackfire Total Trim and Tire Sealant which worked amazing at bringing all the plastic trim on my 2004 back to black
- I used a carpet cleaner on the interior carpet and all the floormats
- Cleaned the interior surface with Blackfire cleaner and then Blackfire interior protectant
- Cleaned the all the glass
- Gently cleaned the headliner
- I used Leatherique for the first time on all the leather (seats, door cards, steering wheel, shifter, dash pod), it absorbed 2 coatings of oil, then used their leather cleaner, I can't believe the metallic blue in the Nordkap leather it's beautiful! My wife didn't even realize the interior was dark blue until now.

Their is still more to do but most of it will wait until spring but for now the entire car looks, feels, and smells like new....and then winter happened lol

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Please fix your headlamp wipers to they are useful when driving through the winter schmootz. The rest position is pointing inboard.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Please fix your headlamp wipers to they are useful when driving through the winter schmootz. The rest position is pointing inboard.
...And if you run them they will gouge your bumper cover paint!!!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
What if the wires were reversed to the motor? Wouldn’t they run in opposite direction? I think I remember that in High School Science. Been a while.
Why hasn’t it gouge yet?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What if the wires were reversed to the motor? Wouldn’t they run in opposite direction? I think I remember that in High School Science. Been a while.
Why hasn’t it gouge yet?
Thank you all for your concern on my headlight wipers. They are an item on my list that I do plan on fixing. The reason I haven't jumped on fixing them yet is that they don't appear to move at all when I use my wipers or washer jets. There is no sign on the headlight or bumper that they have attempted to move, which could mean there is a bigger problem... But for the sake of everyone's sanity they will be fixed! :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts