SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Video:

Two normal starts followed by one abnormal start.

Issue:

In the past week or so, when I go to start the car it has mostly been starting normally (turn to position III and hold for a couple seconds while it cranks and starts up) but about 15% of the time when I turn it to position III it cranks once, pauses and then continues cranking, usually a couple of extra turns, before it starts. Note in the video that the left and right columns of indicator lights in the cluster remain lit during the normal starts but when the problematic start occurs those two rows of lights go out for a moment.

Troubleshooting:
- No active or stored OBD-II codes. OBD-II logs of fuel rail pressure below.
- VIDA/DiCE fault traces are exactly the same as they were when I made a baseline audit of the car. i.e., this isn't showing up. Photos below. Driver's Door Module has been faulty but it was faulty before this occurred. There was also a fuel pump fault over 1000 starts ago so this doesn't seem relevant at the moment. Fuel rail pressure has seemed OK based on my OBD-II graphs. (EDIT: previous owner reminded me that he replaced the fuel pressure sender, so that's probably why the old code is there).
- No running problems. It runs and drives 100% perfectly. No other weird issues or electrical oddities whatsoever.
- It does not matter how gently I start it. I can pop the key in and go straight to position III like in the video, or I can stop and wait a few seconds before going from I to II to III. No pattern here.
- Ambient or drivetrain temperature does not seem to matter (and we have distinct temperature swings in NC during the winter!)
- Cold start or hot soak does not seem to matter either. It truly seems random.
- I have never seen any of the infamous "key error" or whatever messages people on the forum talk about a lot.

Thoughts:
I do not believe it's the battery because a moment later I can start it up and it's completely normal. I have owned the vehicle for 7 or 8 months and bought it from someone I trust, so I believe this is an entirely new issue. I'm guessing it's the key cylinder in the dash or a relay of some kind that is sticking. Beyond that, I don't know.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
(VIDEO) When starting, it "pauses" for a moment after the first crank and the...

It is time for a new battery or clean your connection and tighten them.

Same thing happened to me for a while it would get to that point and everything would flash off at once.

If you get the bigger battery you will need a new positive terminal boot as well to make the cover fit.

Problem start off similar before it would just completely die out.

Car won't start, must punch battery to start...
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=232587

Next thing I can think of is the copper behind the key slot isn't making contact I remember seeing that being a thing I just can't find the thread.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
(VIDEO) When starting, it "pauses" for a moment after the first crank and the...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'll clean/tighten the connections, but I know they are generally good since I was just looking at them. I know these cars are known for acting oddly when the battery is weak. I might just replace the battery, but I hate throwing parts at something without more objective information.

The strange thing is that it cranks normally at one moment and abnormally at another. Was yours doing this?

The battery was indeed replaced (it's a highly quality larger-sized non-OEM absorbed glass mat type) but I cannot find a date code on it. I just haven't seen a single error code or warning anywhere. None. I literally started it up 20x in a row today without issue when I was testing the frequency - it did the "pause" twice in that testing.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Mine has been doing that for several years now. It hasn't mattered if the battery was new or old. It did seem to go away for a while after the dealer did the courtesy software update but eventually came back. It used to make me nervous but it keeps starting.

There was another thread on this subject where the guy replaced the starter and tore it down.
Stan

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would first check the battery or its connections up to the starter (also Ground).
When the starter does not get enough current (A) the voltage drops and the solenoid cuts the voltage to the starter.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ive got at least 2 years of this happening regularly to me. Same exact way, but i have other problems too. I always let the fuel pump prime before trying to start the car... my rule is to insert key into position 2 then wait until the radio kicks on after about 7 seconds, then start, although that doesnt always work, it occasionally will do this pause thing.
Here's my problem though. If i try to insert the key as quickly as you do and try to start it, it will usually start, stutter, stall. So if i want to show someone how it can stall out i insert the key and twist immediately. So, for the last 2 years its been like this its never left me stranded. BUT, one time last fall, the car wouldnt recognize the car for about 3 days/// it would take me about 10-50 tries of inserting the key and removing it before it finally recognized the key. So i would get the immobilizer error message and nothing would happen. Tapping the key into the switch didnt work for me...
I think its time you tried to replace the ignition module with the updated module (i think it was the 08+ module) it shouldnt require the keys to be reprogrammed and i think its available from tasca. i personally just live with it, its quirky but the worst thats happened was it wouldnt start for 20 minutes, refusing to recognize my key. Replacing the FPS didnt help me.
goodluck, but i wouldnt worry too much about it, i really think it wont ever leave you stranded, but Other than the ignition module i have no clue what it could be.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
That is interesting about the fuel pump and I'll give it a try. Mine only seems to do it after I have driven a while, stop to go into Starbucks, and then restart. I wonder if it could be a sign of degradation of the fuel pump or filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar issue, mine will stall the same but always starts up. I wasn't sure whether or not to be worried about it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
That is interesting about the fuel pump and I'll give it a try. Mine only seems to do it after I have driven a while, stop to go into Starbucks, and then restart. I wonder if it could be a sign of degradation of the fuel pump or filter.
hey, sorry, but dont quote me on that 'let the fuel pump prime' part... I didnt mean to claim i know exactly what the car is doing in those 7 seconds, ive heard its something fuel related, or something is 'priming' but If thats not the right way to describe it, I apologize because im only vaguely familiar with what is happening. That may be whats happening but I'd get another opinion because im not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
hey, sorry, but dont quote me on that 'let the fuel pump prime' part... I didnt mean to claim i know exactly what the car is doing in those 7 seconds, ive heard its something fuel related, or something is 'priming' but If thats not the right way to describe it, I apologize because im only vaguely familiar with what is happening. That may be whats happening but I'd get another opinion because im not 100% sure.
Hey, it is a good theory which is worth testing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's precisely the most common scenario that causes the issue with mine as well. Funny it hasn't done it once since I wrote the thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts