SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've happily be using VIDA on my old Win XP laptop for a few years, with the help of this forum in both the purchase and setup.

Perusing eBay brought me this guys listing clearly showing VIDA 2014D running directly on Win 10 and NOT in a VM, I'd rather not have to go that route if possible!!

I am going to be getting a Surface Pro 3 very soon (a tax incentive through work, yaaaay) and would LOVE to be able to use it for VIDA too, however, cannot find ANY info on the web anywhere on software compatability with Win 10 anywhere.

Anyone able to kindly point me in a direction that might help?

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
So I've happily be using VIDA on my old Win XP laptop for a few years, with the help of this forum in both the purchase and setup.

Perusing eBay brought me this guys listing clearly showing VIDA 2014D running directly on Win 10 and NOT in a VM, I'd rather not have to go that route if possible!!

I am going to be getting a Surface Pro 3 very soon (a tax incentive through work, yaaaay) and would LOVE to be able to use it for VIDA too, however, cannot find ANY info on the web anywhere on software compatability with Win 10 anywhere.

I had it working with Windows 8.1 until an unknown update broke connectivity to DICE and no amount of system restore would bring it back. I guess 2014D works ok, but be aware an update may blow it up in the future.

I just went back to a Win7 machine running IE9 and I'm very careful with the updates. 2014D is supposed to work with IE10 but it didn't when I tried it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Funky,

I would hold off. I received a unit from the exact seller above yesterday and have not been able to get it to work. I have a Surface Pro 3 with an i5 and 8 gb of ram running Windows 10 and tried the direct install which failed. The error was that it requires Windows 7 Pro. I then went the VM route. I am able to get the unit to connect to the car, but I get an error when trying to perform diagnostics.

Here was the sellers response when I asked him if the Surface Pro 3 would work:

"I thought you will be interested, got feedback from one of my buyers today who used DiCE on surface Pro3:

"Hi Darius
Thought you'd be interested...
It works flawlessly =D
I used the two files you identify in the tutorial, no other files needed.
Couple of pointers.
You HAVE to have the keyboard, I haven't figured out how to get at a virtual one through VM.
You HAVE to disconnect the external accessories prior to shutting down the VM. If you don't the Surface keyboard will not work AT ALL, until you do a restart of the Windows on the Surface.
Other than that, MINT.
Cheers
Ric"

So basically it can be used on Surface Pro.

//Darius

Here was his response when I said it was not working:

"It is normal that abs/srs lights blinks also you should hear relays clicking.
I think surface can not provide enough performance for VIDA.
I think limitation is "hdd" storage throughput/IOPS.
I know that people used it on surface pro 3.
You can try to do de-fragment HDD on VM maybe that will help.
Also adding more cores to VM should add more speed for VM.
I do not own surface so I can not give you best setting for it now to work.

//Darius"

Here is the error message that I get:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Not enough storage is available to process this command
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.CreateCompatibleDIB(IntPtr hdc, IntPtr hpal, Int32 ulWidth, Int32 ulHeight, IntPtr& ppvBits)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.CreateBuffer(IntPtr src, Int32 offsetX, Int32 offsetY, Int32 width, Int32 height)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.AllocBuffer(Graphics targetGraphics, IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.AllocBufferInTempManager(Graphics targetGraphics, IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.Allocate(IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
-------------------------------------------------------
Loaded assemblies
ProgressHandler, Version=2.0.5394.27532, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.Xml, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
VehCom2, Version=2.0.5394.27561, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
AppServices.VehicleAccess, Version=2.0.5394.27567, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Interop.ISOVIEWXLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.Design, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
BizServices.ScriptRepository, Version=2.0.5394.27556, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ResourceManager.resources, Version=2.0.5394.27529, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.SoftwareProductInformation, Version=2.0.5394.27556, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
BizServices.NavImageRepository, Version=2.0.5394.27555, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.ServiceModel, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
AxInterop.ISOVIEWXLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
AppServices.Scripting, Version=2.0.5394.27565, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.VehicleImageRepository, Version=2.0.5394.27556, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.VehicleResolver, Version=2.0.5394.27557, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ValueObjects, Version=2.0.5394.27551, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
GuiComponents, Version=2.0.5394.27558, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
AppServices.Dro, Version=2.0.5394.27562, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib, Version=0.84.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=1b03e6acf1164f73
ResourceManager.resources, Version=2.0.5394.27529, Culture=en-GB, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.AccessServer.DB, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.SoftwareOrdering, Version=2.0.5394.27566, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.SoftwareOrderRepository, Version=2.0.5394.27564, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
AppServices.SoftwareOrderProcessing, Version=2.0.5394.27566, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.PartsLists, Version=2.0.5394.27560, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Util, Version=2.0.5394.27531, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.Scripting, Version=2.0.5394.27564, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.CarCom.VehicleServices, Version=2.0.5394.27554, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.EnterpriseServices, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
BizServices.DiagnosticSession, Version=2.0.5394.27554, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.VehicleCommProvider, Version=2.0.5394.27562, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
AppServices.WorkshopSession, Version=2.0.5394.27559, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
ResourceManager, Version=2.0.5394.27529, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
AppServices.EcuDataResolver, Version=2.0.5394.27559, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.Transactions, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
BizServices.InfoElementsRepository, Version=2.0.5394.27554, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.Configuration, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
BizServices.CarCom.DB, Version=2.0.5394.27553, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
System.Data, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Workflow, Version=2.0.5394.27569, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
BizServices.DroResultFileProducer, Version=2.0.5394.27560, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Loaded databases

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts
Here is the error message that I get:

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Not enough storage is available to process this command
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.CreateCompatibleDIB(IntPtr hdc, IntPtr hpal, Int32 ulWidth, Int32 ulHeight, IntPtr& ppvBits)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.CreateBuffer(IntPtr src, Int32 offsetX, Int32 offsetY, Int32 width, Int32 height)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.AllocBuffer(Graphics targetGraphics, IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.AllocBufferInTempManager(Graphics targetGraphics, IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
at System.Drawing.BufferedGraphicsContext.Allocate(IntPtr targetDC, Rectangle targetRectangle)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
This isn't a disk space problem, Your system is either low on virtual memory, or you have a video driver compatibility issue. If your Surface3 is up to date, I'd look at your paging file settings (recommended "system-managed pagefile", and other related resource settings.

If you don't have the VM integration features installed, definitely do that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i think i can help you.

so far ive got it up and running, but i cant get the Diagnostic tab to work yet.

the DiCE connector works with its own diagnostic check system...

VIDA 2014D + Surface Pro + W10

ps: i just realized that the vehicle in the tab is a turbo diesel AWD manual XC90... which i would love to be to get in the US.

sigh

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
[HR][/HR]
Try the IEHosting registry fix in the install folder.
that would be pretty cool if that fixed it. I tried that when my copy on 8.1 broke and still no DICE.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Just use the VMware player. Easy and painless. I wouldn't want to deal with VIDA on my regular computer anyway.

·
Registered
245 Posts
DiCE was working with Vida2014B and Windows 8.1, but stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday.
It is possible that it has stopped working earlier. It's been a while since I used it, and I didn't test it right before the update.
Installing 2014D didn't help, but I believe the IEHosting stuff was the last I fixed before I made it work.

Win10 with Vida2014D and DiCE is now working. And I have connected to a separate ME9 and read some data from it.
Vida2014D spent a huge amount of time trying to connect to a CEM several times before and in between searching for other controllers.
Longer than any previous version I believe.

Installing from the Vida folder made the setup program install into some unknown place on the same disk it came from. Possibly virtual folder due to security.
Reinstalling as administrator and compability mode for Windows 7 put it in the right place.

Anyway. It is possible, but I'm not sure what I have done to make it work. My Internet Explorer settings are totally unsafe now after trying some of the suggestions on the volvotech page.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Is it just me, or is it impossible to edit posts on this forum?

The second install was from the Main folder, and therefore needed the compatibility setting.

·
Registered
224 Posts
DiCE was working with Vida2014B and Windows 8.1, but stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday.
It is possible that it has stopped working earlier. It's been a while since I used it, and I didn't test it right before the update.
Installing 2014D didn't help, but I believe the IEHosting stuff was the last I fixed before I made it work.

Win10 with Vida2014D and DiCE is now working. And I have connected to a separate ME9 and read some data from it.
Vida2014D spent a huge amount of time trying to connect to a CEM several times before and in between searching for other controllers.

Installing from the Vida folder made the setup program install into some unknown place on the same disk it came from. Possibly virtual folder due to security.
Reinstalling as administrator and compability mode for Windows 7 put it in the right place.

Anyway. It is possible, but I'm not sure what I have done to make it work. My Internet Explorer settings are totally unsafe now after trying some of the suggestions on the volvotech page.
Windows 10 is causing tons of compatibility issues across the board. You may have to VM until updates.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is it just me, or is it impossible to edit posts on this forum?

The second install was from the Main folder, and therefore needed the compatibility setting.
I think you have to be on tapatalk or mobile lol.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,882 Posts

can you post here what changes you made in IE? the settings that made it unsafe apparently? If there was anyone that would get it running in Win10 I figured it would be you.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I turned down security level in all zones, or at least Internet, local and trusted. I also turned off protected mode.
None of this helped when I did it, but at that time I did not have the IEHosting registry settings back in yet.
google: "red X in the Communication Tool box" to find the volvotechinfo page.

I may have copied and renamed some of the DiCE files to have them in the same folders as on my XP computer. 32/64?
This was done to make my own software with hardcoded DLL loading work with the DiCE. Probably not related to Vida problems.

Advanced .NET stuff was also turned on to see if that helped, but then I got problem starting Vida telling me that port 80 was already in use.
Turning the Advanced .NET stuff back off did not help, but then I also turned off some internet server stuff further down on the list and Vida was back.
Turning this stuff on and then off again shouldn't really make a difference, but it is Windows, so who knows. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just put all security settings in Internet Explorer back to standard settings, and removed localhost as Trusted Site.
Vida and DiCE still worked.
Setting the IEHosting enable to zero in the Wow6432Node part made the red X (black in Win10) and DiagnosticAllow error come back.
The IEHosting enable setting in the other position did not matter.
So I guess the internet explorer security settings might not be that important. (I'm using IE11)

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I just put all security settings in Internet Explorer back to standard settings, and removed localhost as Trusted Site.
Vida and DiCE still worked.
Setting the IEHosting enable to zero in the Wow6432Node part made the red X (black in Win10) and DiagnosticAllow error come back.
The IEHosting enable setting in the other position did not matter.
So I guess the internet explorer security settings might not be that important. (I'm using IE11)
ok, I think this gives me the confidence to upgrade my last 7 machine to 10 and try this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been using 2014D VIDA on my win10 tablet for few months and it even works via integrated Bluetooth!!!
Very nice mobile diagnostic kit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts