SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to the world of Volvos and am being properly introduced to the possible symptoms of ETM/throttle body issues within the month of the purchase of my 01 V70 T5. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful car - the best I've ever owned in my 20 years of living - however I must tackle these gremlins as one must frequently do upon the purchase of a used car.

With this said, I was wondering if there was anyone in the Knoxville, TN area with a VIDA/DICE that could lend a hand in doing a scan on my car to figure out what's wrong with it. I have a DIR message that states "Engine System Service Required" and a check engine code P0442, "Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)."

I conjecture that my issue is similar to the issue found here.

The post with the issues I'm facing can be found here.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you have a CAT code then you need a CAT. If you have a brake pedal position sensor code then you need a brake pedal position sensor. Your drivability issue may be a plugged PCV system, This dramatically affects the vaccum/pressure signal in the intake manifold. Its also possible the CAT is causing a exhaust restriction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From my understanding of the issue, the EVAP code does not necessarily mean I need a catalytic converter, as that code can appear for a range of various issues. I am unsure if I have a break pedal position sensor code, as I do not have a VIDA /DICE. I am thinking I may just have to take it to a mechanic to get these things figured out, as the multitude of issues is quite daunting to the Volvo newcomer I am. I will update this thread with the results of their findings.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
I am also in Knoxville and somewhat familiar with what you're going through and have VIDA but no Dice...sorry about that.
My suggestion is to call Arnold McGhee and see if you can get an appointment with him. He's near Merchant's off of Clinton Hwy.
He usually doesn't get to his shop until about 9 on weekday mornings (865- 689-8424). He was a tech at Clayton for many years but they parted ways and he started his own business.
As far as I'm concerned, he's the best in the area and pretty reasonable. He's dealt with many ETM and psudo-ETM issues as well and will do you right.
Tell him that David Emanuel sent you as that could make a difference.
Good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much MIJ! I have heard good things about him but have had issues getting in contact with him. I will try again tomorrow after 9am. I will indeed mention that you sent me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Good luck! And thanks for your kind words in your private message!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks MIJ, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other around the forums!

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Thanks MIJ, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other around the forums!
And hopefully around town- grab a beer somewhere sometime?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 - 9 of 9 Posts