SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a Vida Dice setup from China. Got it installed on my laptop. went out to the 06 V70R and had nothing but problems getting it to talk to the car. Dice was saying pass thru error 8. Finally started the car and got it to talk. Looked at some things and got a feel for it. Shut the car off and went to position 2 and was able to talk. After about 30 minutes got a low battery warning on the dash so shut everything off and called it a night. Next day go out to try a sum calibration. could not get it to talk. Even with starting it and letting it idle for awhile to make sure the battery was charged. Got frustrated and went over to the wife's 03 S60 to see if my dice was bad. was able to talk in pos 2 with no problems. Now my question is does the battery condition affect the Dice interface so critically that I would have these problems? In addition any thing special I need to know before I put a trickle charger on the battery overnight? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
YES, the network on the car, and DIce are voltage sensitive. The battery can be at 12.5 V, turn on the ignition and the network being alive and the consumption things powered up puts a drain on battery and it goes to 12 or lower. The distance and normal voltage drop of connections will make some modules be at close to 11 V.
Volvo procedure is that any software loads require a regulated power supply and any other activities have a recommendation of using the power supply.
The power supply is not a battery charger as those have too much voltage fluctuation with variations in current draw.
You may be OK with a battery charger with a 10A level attached while you are working but turn headlight switch to park light position, turn climate off, and radio off.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Just leave the car running while using DICE, 30 minutes of idle is probably 25 cents in gas if that...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just leave the car running while using DICE, 30 minutes of idle is probably 25 cents in gas if that...
In your garage is the best place to do this...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts