SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Total noob here when it comes to VIDA DICE. Will 2014D version work on 2015 and 21015.5 MY cars manufacutred in 2014 or is the 2014D version specific to 2014 MY and earlier cars?

CJ

·
Registered
773 Posts
My VIDA 2014D lists 2015 and 2015A cars. Don't quite know what the 2015A means.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My VIDA 2014D lists 2015 and 2015A cars. Don't quite know what the 2015A means.
2015A introduced Drive-E cars.

2014D will not do anything for 2016 cars like the XC90 because they introduced Ethernet as a connection option in the car. You won't be able to get away with sticking DICE on a 2016 carry over model either that still uses an OBD2 interface. Only subscriptions to VIDA 2015 which is all online will help you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yes, and my local dealer mechanic friend is telling me they are having all sorts of problems with the Ethernet connected XC90's. He is not happy working on them, apparently the connection doesn't work like Volvo expected. No details yet.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Yes, and my local dealer mechanic friend is telling me they are having all sorts of problems with the Ethernet connected XC90's. He is not happy working on them, apparently the connection doesn't work like Volvo expected. No details yet.
in Volvo's zeal to create a diagnostics package that cannot be modified and used offline they have created a cluster**** of an online system. I'm also not sure how they got around federal mandates for standardized OBD port and the ability to read them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015A introduced Drive-E cars.

2014D will not do anything for 2016 cars like the XC90 because they introduced Ethernet as a connection option in the car. You won't be able to get away with sticking DICE on a 2016 carry over model either that still uses an OBD2 interface. Only subscriptions to VIDA 2015 which is all online will help you.
What kind of HW is necessary to interface to the car? Is there an ethernet port, or do you need a specific adapter cable or box to go from laptop ethernet to the car? Thanks!

-ch

·
Registered
773 Posts
The adapter fits the standard OBD port, but has an ethernet connector on the back side. So it is a Volvo specific adapter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The adapter fits the standard OBD port, but has an ethernet connector on the back side. So it is a Volvo specific adapter.
Thanks! Do you need a Volvo-specific ETH->OBD adapter, or are they generic across brands? For instance, does the BMW version work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-ENET-E...:g:4XoAAOSwuMFUit89&item=121604135320&vxp=mtr

The VIDA 2014 adapter appears to be USB, not ethernet:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-2014D...:g:r3QAAOSw~oFXOTv-&item=162072362972&vxp=mtr

Or, alternatively, does anyone have the OBD pinout for the Volvo (so I can compare it to other adapters)?

Thanks again,

-hyp

·
Registered
459 Posts
Done plenty of software on em haven't had any issues yet. The connection via ethernet is fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts