SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1121 - 1140 of 1153 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
When trying to login to the volvodiag site to download the software, i'm gettingh a 403 access denied about half the time, the other half of the time, it just sits there and spins and nothing happens. is there a fix? Thanks, I saw some others had this problem but I didn't see a solution.
ok nevermind i finally got it. had to create a new account. for some reason it wouldn't let me change my password so i think that was the issue.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,122
Post a screenshot of the 403 with URL visible so I can see, also, what are the last 2 segments of your IP

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,123
Okay! Glad you got it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just installed Virtualbox win10 image and Vida works very fine. Must I install any drivers for Dice or only plug it to USB and start Vida?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
I've just installed Virtualbox win10 image and Vida works very fine. Must I install any drivers for Dice or only plug it to USB and start Vida?
Virtual Machines are 100% completed installs, you just start the VM, connect the DICE and make sure to pass it through from the host to the VM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Roxana,

Thanks for your efforts in providing and supporting this software! I greatly appreciate your generosity and skills.

I don't want to waste our resources so could you quickly check what option I try to get VIDA Working before I download the software?

I have a mini VICI (J2534) that was working with techstream and a Windows 10 home quadcore 4Gb laptop. What has the best chance of success: direct install, VMware, virtualbox or USB image?

Thanks, best, Tim

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,127
Hi Roxana,

Thanks for your efforts in providing and supporting this software! I greatly appreciate your generosity and skills.

I don't want to waste our resources so could you quickly check what option I try to get VIDA Working before I download the software?

I have a mini VICI (J2534) that was working with techstream and a Windows 10 home quadcore 4Gb laptop. What has the best chance of success: direct install, VMware, virtualbox or USB image?

Thanks, best, Tim
You you really need to upgrade your RAM from 4GB to 8GB if you use an option other than direct install. Keep in mind that while I provide the files for direct install, I don't provide support for it but just like you found this thread, there is one by Trexio called VIDA 2014D on Windows 10 Professional. That said, you will need to change 2 registry entries prior to attempting the direct install and then change them back afterwards WITHOUT restarting the computer between. This is because Windows 10 Home isn't officially supported but can be installed on with the registry tricks. The registry trick is not mentioned in his thread that I'm aware of either.

That said, the overall easiest option would be upgrade from 4GB to 8GB or more and use a VM. RAM is pretty cheap especially used... 90% of the time, it's a matter of removing a cover on the bottom of the laptop and inserting a memory module that snaps in. After that, just load the VM and go...

I never recommend the USB edition. It's for those with a lot of computer skills.

Whether you use the VMware or Virtualbox version would depend more on which processor you have and what your computer supports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for your prompt and clear reply! Per your recommendations, I'll first try the RAM expansion option and run a virtual machine.

Can I install the drivers for my Mini VCI J2534 pass-thru in the virtual machine?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,129
Thanks for your prompt and clear reply! Per your recommendations, I'll first try the RAM expansion option and run a virtual machine.

Can I install the drivers for my Mini VCI J2534 pass-thru in the virtual machine?
As long as your drivers are compatible with the VM's OS then yes. You'll need to install them in the VM as well as the host OS to make sure things are recognized and pass-through correctly. HOWEVER, I'm in no way saying that your VCI is compatible with VIDA as I have never used one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the compatibility issues, that could end up costing a lot of time. I believe there is some compatibility of OEM softwares with third party pass-thru's, even with VIDA. Given I have an interface lying around I can try it. If it fails, no biggy, I'll look for a DICE.

I'll be sure to RAM up, check which VM is suitable and I'll install drivers both in the host and in the VM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bad gateway error

I have tried to download your virtual box and vida. I experienced download failures which I thought was because of slow internet speeds. Then after 4 or five failed attempts I got a message about a bad gateway at your end. Unfortunately can't quote exactly the message because I can't log back in. My IP address ends 27.240 in UK

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,132
I have tried to download your virtual box and vida. I experienced download failures which I thought was because of slow internet speeds. Then after 4 or five failed attempts I got a message about a bad gateway at your end. Unfortunately can't quote exactly the message because I can't log back in. My IP address ends 27.240 in UK
Sorry about that. Apache crashed when Let's Encrypt update failed. It's back up now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So for a Surface Pro 3, I'd recommend a direct install over VM. This is because of the ULTRA low power CPU they put in those. They are meant to last all day, not power through heavy tasks. VIDA 2014D does work on Windows 10, look at my virtual machines, I have now 2 virtual machines running on Windows 10 with VIDA installed. Also, you don't need a DVDdrive to install directly if you use my updated VIDA download for direct installs.
Hi roxanaschram, Thanks so much for all that you've done here!
I have a question of clarification about your recommendation here regarding the unsuitability of the Surface Pro 3 for running a VM Windows 10 vida install from your downloads.

I had an old SP3 laying around and direct install didn't work on my first attempt so I just decided to see if the Virtualbox thing would work. After getting a ways into it I noticed this post of yours but kept going just to see what I might learn.

Currently everything appears to be working with this combination of hardware and software so now I am wondering where I might see a problem down the road with this underpowered setup with too little RAM? (I set the VM to use 3 GB of the 4GB available. I will really only be using this machine to run the VM and I actually have no idea what the host requires to support itself.)

I have only just today connected to my 2010 C30, read the specs and checked for error codes, etc.. Seemed to work although it's the first time I've ever seen Vida.
I hope to be loading a Hilton tune within a week or two, noticed that your download has the Hilton app in it so I figured I'd just use the Virtualbox VM for that as well. Any reason not to?

Sorry for the longish note. Any pearls of wisdom you could share about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
VIDA Dice 2014D (non VM) will not run

Hey Everyone,

I saw someone post about having the following errors when opening All-In-One but they had the VM version and were able to run it by simply re-opening it. I've had my VIDA for 2 yrs now and its worked fine. Its probably been 6months since I've used it but now receive the following error.

HTTP Status 404 - /Vida
type Status report
message /vida
description The requested resource (/Vida) is not available.

JBoss Web/7.0.13.Final.

I was hoping I'm just overlooking something before I attempt dl VM version.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello Roxana!

I upgraded the RAM and am now running Vida from virtualbox! Thanks very much for providing such a streamlined solution, it really works effortlessly!

I want to change the passthru adapter now to MINI VCI. I installed the drivers on the host and the guest, run VIDA through the virtualbox option and use the 'VIDA all in one', but I cannot seem to get the menu that will configure the adapter. The 'perform computer settings' menu only allows me to change VIN settings, but there are no settings for communication tool. How do I get there?

Thanks for your ongoing support of the Volvo community!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here and just bought a 2016 V60 D4 with the new VEA engine. Anyways, I installed VIDA on a virtual machine and was trying to find a manual for my car. The database seems to limited to 2015 year. Is this true and is it possible to update the database up to 2016 or even newer?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,137
Hi roxanaschram, Thanks so much for all that you've done here!
I have a question of clarification about your recommendation here regarding the unsuitability of the Surface Pro 3 for running a VM Windows 10 vida install from your downloads.

I had an old SP3 laying around and direct install didn't work on my first attempt so I just decided to see if the Virtualbox thing would work. After getting a ways into it I noticed this post of yours but kept going just to see what I might learn.

Currently everything appears to be working with this combination of hardware and software so now I am wondering where I might see a problem down the road with this underpowered setup with too little RAM? (I set the VM to use 3 GB of the 4GB available. I will really only be using this machine to run the VM and I actually have no idea what the host requires to support itself.)

I have only just today connected to my 2010 C30, read the specs and checked for error codes, etc.. Seemed to work although it's the first time I've ever seen Vida.
I hope to be loading a Hilton tune within a week or two, noticed that your download has the Hilton app in it so I figured I'd just use the Virtualbox VM for that as well. Any reason not to?

Sorry for the longish note. Any pearls of wisdom you could share about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!
There is no reason you can't use Hilton inside of the VM. If you are using the Windows 7 VM, I am not sure that I ever updated Hilton tuning on that VM so you may need to use the one he sends you but that will still work in the VM too.

Hey Everyone,

I saw someone post about having the following errors when opening All-In-One but they had the VM version and were able to run it by simply re-opening it. I've had my VIDA for 2 yrs now and its worked fine. Its probably been 6months since I've used it but now receive the following error.

HTTP Status 404 - /Vida
type Status report
message /vida
description The requested resource (/Vida) is not available.

JBoss Web/7.0.13.Final.

I was hoping I'm just overlooking something before I attempt dl VM version.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick
Screenshot including taskbar with VIDA icon showing please.

Hello Roxana!

I upgraded the RAM and am now running Vida from virtualbox! Thanks very much for providing such a streamlined solution, it really works effortlessly!

I want to change the passthru adapter now to MINI VCI. I installed the drivers on the host and the guest, run VIDA through the virtualbox option and use the 'VIDA all in one', but I cannot seem to get the menu that will configure the adapter. The 'perform computer settings' menu only allows me to change VIN settings, but there are no settings for communication tool. How do I get there?

Thanks for your ongoing support of the Volvo community!
That is going to be the manufacture should have the solution for. I know wit the VXDiag they show the drivers "emulating" the DICE unit so you don't change anything. it is just automatically used.

Hi guys, I'm new here and just bought a 2016 V60 D4 with the new VEA engine. Anyways, I installed VIDA on a virtual machine and was trying to find a manual for my car. The database seems to limited to 2015 year. Is this true and is it possible to update the database up to 2016 or even newer?
Try manually selecting your car but select 2015 instead. The "hack" that the fake 2015D has is just the SQL database edited to know what the VIN of the 2016 would be for the year marker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no reason you can't use Hilton inside of the VM. If you are using the Windows 7 VM, I am not sure that I ever updated Hilton tuning on that VM so you may need to use the one he sends you but that will still work in the VM too.

Screenshot including taskbar with VIDA icon showing please.

That is going to be the manufacture should have the solution for. I know wit the VXDiag they show the drivers "emulating" the DICE unit so you don't change anything. it is just automatically used.

Try manually selecting your car but select 2015 instead. The "hack" that the fake 2015D has is just the SQL database edited to know what the VIN of the 2016 would be for the year marker.
Yeah i tried that, but i couldn't find my engine which is the D4204T14 on the V60. I found it under the V40 CC so that should work too if i ever have any problems with it

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,139
Yeah i tried that, but i couldn't find my engine which is the D4204T14 on the V60. I found it under the V40 CC so that should work too if i ever have any problems with it
keep in mind you can try using VDASH as well to help diagnose with newer cars.

1121 - 1140 of 1153 Posts