SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

641 - 660 of 1153 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remotely install Vida2014

First and foremost, we are a community that supports each other wilfully. Because of the help I've received here, I decided to return that to the whole community. I use a 4K display so you MIGHT need to change the resolution on first boot with your machine to adjust to size if you are not using a 4K equivalent. When logging in, use 'admin' or '1'. Enjoy!

I've built a new ISO for those that want to directly install on their systems with the updates and my redesigned interface already applied. It also contains all the needed files for the install whether on 32bit or 64bit and all 3 patches for the different ways to install... (32bit, 64bit, 32bit installed on 64bit system)

Virtual Machine System Minimum Recommendations:
CPU: Intel i3-2100 or better (64bit required)
RAM: 6GB RAM
HARD DRIVE: 40GB free space​

USB Editions System Minimum Recommendations:
CPU: Intel Core2Duo or better (32bit capable)
RAM: 3GB RAM
STORAGE DEVICE: 32GB or better USB 3.0 (Recommend SanDisk Extreme)
Legacy Boot Mode Support (UEFI won't boot)

Patches, Documents & Walk-throughs can be downloaded from any of the download links below

Download Links:

Image Download - (Google Drive) - Download Here
VMWare Player - VMware Player
VirtualBox - VirtualBox Image Here
7-ZIP - You'll need this

For direct installs, just download the file 2014D Installer.7z. This file contains everything you should need to install including patches and updates.

Virtual Machine Setup:

1. Download the virtual machine 7zip image
  2. Download VMWare Player or VMWare Fusion. This will depend on which OS you have running.
  3. If you have Windows but don’t have 7zip. Download it. I believe most Linux distros support 7z files out of the box or can be easily installed via the Software Centre. If you are on Mac OS, you can use ‘The Unarchiver’ available via the App Store.
  4. Once you have everything downloaded, install your hypervisor of choice. This would be VMWare Player or Fusion. Advanced users can use virtual box with minor modifications I believe.
  5. Extract the 7z image file you downloaded to a contained folder. The password is V0lv02Rule You can run it from this location or move it to another location. Doesn’t matter.
  6. Locate the file ‘Service Machine.vmx’ and double click on this file. It will open your hypervisor. You may be asked if you copied or moved this. Just click moved.
  7. If you want to adjust the VM image settings now if the time to do so. Things like number of cores dedicated to the VM and how much RAM you want it to be allowed to use.
  8. Make sure you set the USB setting up to match your machine. If you plug the DICE into a USB 2.0 port it needs to be USB 2.0. If you use a USB 3.0 port, it needs to be set to USB 3.0
  9. Run it and enjoy.

USB Image Setup: (For more advanced users)

1. Download the image from the builds folder
  2. Download the USB Imaging Tool.zip file from tools folder
  3. If you have Windows but don’t have 7zip. Download it. I believe most Linux distros support 7z files out of the box or can be easily installed via the Software Centre. If you are on Mac OS, you can use ‘The Unarchiver’ available via the App Store.
  4. Once you have everything downloaded, extract the USB Imaging Tool.
  5. Run the tool. Select your USB drive from the list on the left. Click Restore. A window will open to locate the IMZ file. In the bottom right is a drop down menu, change it to 'Compressed (zip) image files'. Locate the folder where you downloaded to and select the IMZ file. Click yes to restore and overwrite the USB drive.
  6. Run it and enjoy.

Extras, Tools & Documents Available:

Volvo 2014D UX3 Update
Volvo 2014D Wiring Diagram ISO
Volvo Transmission Adaptation
USB Image Install Process

Questions & Answers:

Q: My system specs are... Which one should I run.
A: Which ever one you want, system specs are based on the one you choose to run. Virtual Machine is the easiest to get up and running and requires the least amount of effort from you.

Q: Are the system requirements actually what's required to run?
A: Yes and No. For the virtual machine no. You could have less RAM and a slower processor and it will still run. For the USB images, yes without more modification of the images.

Q: Unable to open the file Service Machine.7z
A: Download 7-Zip from the link above AND make sure you have the password

Q: How do I log in?
A: Use 'admin' and press enter. You can also use 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.

Q: How do I go about checked the MD5 or SHA256 to ensure I have downloaded without error?
A: I recommend Quickhash-GUI. If you have a Mac or run Linux, they both have md5sum built in but require CLI knowledge so I won't recommend it.

Q: I have logged in, my DiCE unit is detected but I can't click on diagnosis tab. Did I do something wrong?
A: Most likely, you have not selected all the options for the vehicle profile.

Q: Does the VMWare image support 32bit?
A: NO! But the USB edition does

Q: I'm on a Mac and can't find VMWare Player for it, what do I use?
A: You'll need to obtain a copy of VMWare Fusion

Q: Will there be a VirtualBox version?
A: It is very likely just to help out the Mac users...

Q: What are the system requirements?
A: System requirements are for the VMWare image is a 64bit dual-core processor and 4GB RAM. Please know that with 4GB of RAM, you will be moving SLOWLY. I recommend at least 6Gb RAM. If you only meet the minimum requirements, try directly installing.

Q: I have 7-zip and it is giving me errors extracting the files. What is going on?
A: Double check that the download completed correctly. You can do this using the MD5 Hash posted above.

Q: Why doesn't the VMware Image detect my DiCE unit?
A: The VMware Image may be configured for different USB specifications than the port you are trying to use. If you have a system with USB 3.x, you need to make sure the 'Machine Settings' reflect a USB 3.x bus. Same with USB 2.0. Depending on the build of the VM depends on which USB port revision was set to. Drivers have already be install for the Intel buses.

Q: I've installed an update or patch but nothing happened?
A: Try rebooting, if that didn't work, make sure you used the right one. If it still doesn't work, ask for help.

Q: I have a 32GB USB flash drive but it won't fit. What do I do?
A: While in the USB Flash Tool, click on the options tab. Select the option to truncate the image.

Q: I would like to print but it doesn't see my printer?
A: Turns out VMWare printer support blocks VIDA from running when you have their driver installed. To get around this, share your printer to the network so that the VM will see it as a network printer and then you can print to it.

Change-log:

VIDA VM with Windows 10 - [21 February, 2019]

New virtual machine built and released running on Windows 10. Hilton Tuning's NEW flashing software with cloud support added. Pre-configured with USB 3.0 support.

VIDA 2014D Update UX2 - [11 January, 2018]

Updated interface, more modern and more responsive for higher resolution screens.

VIDA USB Edition RC3 - [6 January, 2018]

With RC3, it still uses a VHDX image format, but can now be deployed with minutes depending on the speed of your flash drive and computer. It's all contained in an IMZ container that your flash to a 32GB flash drive and go!

VIDA License Patch RC3 - [6 January, 2018]

Fixed issue with RC2 on x86 not applying new license.

VIDA License Patch RC2 - [5 January, 2018]

New VIDA License Patches. Self installing with IE Hosting fix.

VIDA VMware Image Edition v2 - [31 December, 2017]

All Windows updates have been completed. VIDA License has been updated to expire 31 December, 2020. Cleaned up system. Removed unnecessary clutter. Download size is down from 7.6GB to 6.9GB, extracted is down from 28GB to 21GB. Hilton Tuning program is on the desktop for those who have a subscription for it mainly because I forgot to remove it before uploading.

Fixed Download Links - [20 December, 2017]

VIDA TIB Edition v 0.RC2 - [19 December, 2017]

This version does use TrueImage. By using TrueImage, you are using the entire USB for the image as if it was a hard drive.

VIDA USB Edition v 0.RC2 - [17 December, 2017]

With RC2, I've changed the entire deployment scheme. It uses a VHDX image format. It does NOT use TrueImage. There will be a dedicated TrueImage version soon. Instead it will be using Easy2Boot. So shout out to those blokes.

VIDA USB Edition v 0.RC1 - [14 December, 2017]

Initial build. Completely scrapped.

VMWare Edition - [29 August, 2017]

Initial build.

Please do not private message me requesting help or to ask questions regarding the different version. Ask here in the thread. It might be helpful for someone else. Private messages are for private stuff.

Can you install me remotely Vida on my laptop ? I want to use one Laptop only for Vida . Is possible direct install without VmWare?
I read in a thread something about 30 dollar for install. Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i've installed the 2014D installer on a Windows7 laptop, all fresh install. But i can not type anything in the loginfield. The keyboard is working fine but the loginfield seems te be broken. Anyone know this issue and know how to fix it. I don't know what i've done wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Font/test size on 4K display

Hi Roxana, I got VIDA/DICE up and running on my XC70, thanks so much. I'm having problems seeing the text in certain parts of the program. For example when I run a fault trace in the diagnostics tab, the results are so tiny I need to use the Windows built-in magnifier. I'm running Windows 10 on an ASUS UX303U 13" notebook. The native resolution is 3200x1800. I've tried all kinds of scaling options in Windows, VM display settings and just can't make it look good. I noticed on a previous thread you mentioned ISOVIEW 5 and 7 are available but only use them when told to. My program opens with a screen that says ISOVIEW 4. Would changing to ISOVIEW 5 or 7 help? I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm running VMware 15 player and the VIDA VM (Win 10) English - R2 file

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #646
Hello, i've installed the 2014D installer on a Windows7 laptop, all fresh install. But i can not type anything in the loginfield. The keyboard is working fine but the loginfield seems te be broken. Anyone know this issue and know how to fix it. I don't know what i've done wrong.
Which version of 7... 64bit or 32bit. If 64bit run the windows 7 patch for 64bit. If 32bit, just use the 32bit...

Hi Roxana, I got VIDA/DICE up and running on my XC70, thanks so much. I'm having problems seeing the text in certain parts of the program. For example when I run a fault trace in the diagnostics tab, the results are so tiny I need to use the Windows built-in magnifier. I'm running Windows 10 on an ASUS UX303U 13" notebook. The native resolution is 3200x1800. I've tried all kinds of scaling options in Windows, VM display settings and just can't make it look good. I noticed on a previous thread you mentioned ISOVIEW 5 and 7 are available but only use them when told to. My program opens with a screen that says ISOVIEW 4. Would changing to ISOVIEW 5 or 7 help? I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I'm running VMware 15 player and the VIDA VM (Win 10) English - R2 file
You can try changing the VM resolution and the in VMware change the scaling

·
Registered
19 Posts
Recently I gave up on trying to install a separate partition on my laptop to run the VIDA software. I recently purchased a surface product and it has way too many security features for my needs. One of them means I have to decrypt each partition every time I access them, so that is why I gave up that.

I have been having a problem with the virtual machine install where I can get everything working up to running the VM, at which point I get this error.

I followed the link, and Microsoft has a specific PowerShell line you can run that will disable the credential guard for VMs, but the problem is that it does not work, and I am not sure if it is because of syntax, or it just not working.

Microsoft help line in question:

Anyone else having this problem, I searched the forum for credential guard and found nothing, so I am thinking it's because I am using a Surface product, or maybe it's because I have a very new version of Windows 10 where this issue is just starting.

EDIT:

Right after this I fixed the issue in a bruteforce way. I disabled Credential Guard for the entire machine. (Probably a bad idea)

First download this tool Microsoft "gives" out. (Its just a simple script, but I'm not a computer scientist, so I will take what they give me)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53337
Put it in a folder on your desktop, un-zipped.

Now open PowerShell in administrator mode (Search for it, right click, Run as Administrator). This will be like a DOS computer for those who have used those. Navigate using "cd" and "dir" to your folder on desktop. ("cd .." = back a folder "dir" = what's in the current folder, "cd <folder name>" = navigate to that folder)
Desktop is located in C:/Users/YourUser/Desktop

Now do dir and make sure the folder you made earlier is still there. Do cd and type the first couple of letters of that folder out, and then press tab to auto complete it.
Once you are in the folder run
Code:
./DG_Readiness_Tool_v3.6.ps1 -Disable -AutoReboot
in PowerShell. (Including the ./)

Your computer will restart. If you have an error and it restarts, that is normal. You will have some questions, do "Yes to all" and press F3 for both other prompts.
If you have an error right away, read it. If your machine cannot run scrips, google how to allow it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're not connected to a network

Hi, just installed the VM 15 and was running good for the first time. However, I cannot open the VIDA as it was afterwards. It showed you're not connected to a network. I have re-installed the VM 15 and unzip a new service machine file but it remained the same.

Win 7 64.

What problem is it?

thanks !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
EWD Install | Where to Buy DiCE in 2019

Hello, firstly thank you roxanaschram for this amazing hack!

Secondly, I wanted to ask if anyone had found a way to install the EWD from a source other then burning it to a Dual-Layer DVD and then copying everything back over using EwdStartUp.exe/VIDAEWDinstall.exe While obviously this isn't an issue at the moment (I'm typing this up as it is copying...), I was hoping to install the EWD onto a PC that doesn't have a DVD drive and was wondering if there was a patch that I failed to install or if I missed something else entirely. Ideally, as well, I would like to install VIDA and EWD on my own copy of Windows so that would rule out the use of a VM.

Thirdly, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to get a DiCE in 2019 that would work with the latest version of VIDA from Volvo. I ask because I may in the future look into purchasing a couple of days of access in combination with some software updates for my 2002 V70.

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
524 Posts
From what I've read on the forums, it appears that if a DICE unit from the usual sources works with VIDA 2014D, it will likely work with the 2015 subscription version. I haven't hooked mine up to 2015, yet, since I haven't lined up the charging source and verified the internet access at the car, yet. My plan is to have the non-VIDA installed laptop at the car and then hook up to the Volvo site to go through the whole pre-check and download process to assure no glitches. The Volvo site specifies an ethernet connection, but it isn't clear if a wireless connection will work. We'll see.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #651
Hello, firstly thank you roxanaschram for this amazing hack!

Secondly, I wanted to ask if anyone had found a way to install the EWD from a source other then burning it to a Dual-Layer DVD and then copying everything back over using EwdStartUp.exe/VIDAEWDinstall.exe While obviously this isn't an issue at the moment (I'm typing this up as it is copying...), I was hoping to install the EWD onto a PC that doesn't have a DVD drive and was wondering if there was a patch that I failed to install or if I missed something else entirely. Ideally, as well, I would like to install VIDA and EWD on my own copy of Windows so that would rule out the use of a VM.

Thirdly, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to get a DiCE in 2019 that would work with the latest version of VIDA from Volvo. I ask because I may in the future look into purchasing a couple of days of access in combination with some software updates for my 2002 V70.

Thanks in advanced!
I've never burnt the iso to install the EWD, if you are on Windows 10, you just double click the iso and it mounts it as a virtual disk. If you are on 7 or 8, download a virtual cd manager. Also, every DICE I've sold will work with genuine software. I've seen some off ebay that won't.

From what I've read on the forums, it appears that if a DICE unit from the usual sources works with VIDA 2014D, it will likely work with the 2015 subscription version. I haven't hooked mine up to 2015, yet, since I haven't lined up the charging source and verified the internet access at the car, yet. My plan is to have the non-VIDA installed laptop at the car and then hook up to the Volvo site to go through the whole pre-check and download process to assure no glitches. The Volvo site specifies an ethernet connection, but it isn't clear if a wireless connection will work. We'll see.
Ignore their requirements, wireless works. I've used LTE built directly into my laptop. Never an issue. Second, I use a battery charger to manage the voltage in the car when flashing tunes and software and never an issue with that either. I use a 15A charger from Harbour Freight.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
Oh, and before anyone rags me for using a charger instead of voltage stabiliser, they have their requirements to protect themselves. I know what works for me. I'm in no way responsible for what anyone does to their cars. I'm just sharing my experience.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Change language

I've converted the image from roxanaschram to a Virtualbox file (ova file, so it can imported).

It can be downloaded here, password is "Swedespeed":
https://albino71.stackstorage.com/s/OK2TJFu6dZUCAh5

All credits to roxana off course!

Short Instructions:
Download VirtualBox, install and then run it.
Create a Virtual Machine (Windows 10 32bit), use the downloaded file as your virtual harddisk.
Give the VM enough memory and video memory.
Connect your dice to your PC/laptop and add it to the VM's USB devices
Run the VM, use the credentials as mentioned in de opening post from this thread, enjoy! ;)

Cheers!
Hi,
I wanted to thank you because VIDA works perfectly on my MacBook Pro with VirtualBox.
However I am French and I would like to change the language on VIDA? How can I do?
Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
you would need to reinstall VIDA with the French language. I was working on a multi language but ran into issues and didn't have the motivation to figure it out. I also don't have the cloud space to store multiple language version.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DICE purchase etc

I have a 59 plate Volvo XC90 and starting to have issues with it saying Engine Service Required. This has sometimes led to LIMP mode but no pattern.

Garage I use have reset it a few times just in case was a false warning. They have replaced a pressure sensor and since their system kept saying DPF temp sensor they have replaced this.

Today when put it in ignition 2 the message came up "Engine Service required" so obviously really annoyed after spending money on 2 sensors and fitting. Funny thing as soon as started went away but ECM says DTC set.

I looked on the Volvoforums and found out that a guy there did DICE systems. He wants 100 pounds just for the dice which seems steep given the ebay prices.

Is there a link for one on Ebay someone has bought recently? I am meant to go to France on Friday and terrified that the car doesn't get us there. I really need something that can read the car as other ODB don't seem to get full info or allow me to reset errors.

If someone can point me in right direction that would be great. Have a windows 10 laptop but could put VM onto get this to work.

Thanks for help in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Vehicle Comms (parameters) blank

Hi first time Volvo owner,

I bought a dice unit off of ebay and it wouldn't communicate with the car. (Vehicle interface status light blinking orange) Bought another and seems to communicate fine, I think. (Same light blinking orange)

Vida seems to be working fine with the second unit. It was able to pull the VIN this time, I pulled codes and cleared them too. The only code that reappeared after updating the list was the seat control.

Everything else seems to be working except the Vehicle Communication tab under Diagnostics is blank. It shows the layout of the car's systems colored grey and green but below that the parameters are missing and tabs grayed out. Clicking on the green systems on the layout doesn't do anything. When I test the tool through vida it shows a green ok. Is there something I'm missing or is it probably something wrong with the ebay dice unit? I'm assuming the latter but want to run it by you. I just installed your program earlier this week so your patches are already integrated, right?

I've searched across the forums but haven't seen others with this problem.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Try changing the market group. My diagnostics didn't work until I changed to the Arabian group (forgot he exact label). I've never figured out how a car sold in South Carolina as new isn't part of the Americas group. Should all be baked into the VIN. Before anyone asks, the controls labels and all manuals are in English :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try changing the market group. My diagnostics didn't work until I changed to the Arabian group (forgot he exact label). I've never figured out how a car sold in South Carolina as new isn't part of the Americas group. Should all be baked into the VIN. Before anyone asks, the controls labels and all manuals are in English :)
Okay gave that a shot just now. No change. Still showing codes just fine but no parameters.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ea2kr8UfUMRzK-W0UrAAT-a4b9-rPgll

·
Registered
524 Posts
There are other posts noting weirdness in VIDA that were fixed by ensuring that the vehicle info is all fully filled in. My VIDA reads the car just fine, but unless I enter the transmission type manually, I get no parts details for the trans. There are some idiosyncrasies to these versions of VIDA, so when you discover what works; please let us know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fuel pump test / demand / pressure

Anyone ever have issues with VIDA displaying fuel parameters? On my 04 XC70 I don't have any values shown when I monitor fuel pressure, fuel pump demand, and I also don't have the advanced option to perform the fuel pump test. Anyone know if this is normal? Chasing a hesitation issue right now..

641 - 660 of 1153 Posts