SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title says, im looking to make a bootable microSD card with a virtual machine for dice. I know its possible to use a usb drive but has anyone succeeded in doing it on a microSD?

Im looking at building an in car dice setup that doesnt require me to carry a laptop around....if all goes well i should be able to offer them to anyone interested.

·
Registered
929 Posts
As title says, im looking to make a bootable microSD card with a virtual machine for dice. I know its possible to use a usb drive but has anyone succeeded in doing it on a microSD?

Im looking at building an in car dice setup that doesnt require me to carry a laptop around....if all goes well i should be able to offer them to anyone interested.
I’m not a SW expert but I use SD card as a USB stick all the time. Are you intending to run it on Win CE platform?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Need more info. What are you looking to boot with it?
Planning on an android head unit. Reason for microSD/sd card is because it only has 2 usb slots available and im not sure they are full duplex, and one of them i will most likely need for an external mouse/keyboard. Not sure hiw well a usb hub will work either, may not recognize it. But, the unit does have an sd slot that is used for either external storage or for the gps software.

If i go us drive id need a total of 3 open ports. With micro sd i should be able just to plug in a wireless desktop setup and the dice unit. Bam! Done.

From what i understand about these units they are android laid over winCE. having a live boot/VMware setup on the sd card should make it work. Key word is *should* lol

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
All depends on the BIOS. If you can boot directly off the SD card reader, you're good. Windows doesn't give a **** what it's loaded on.

If not you can try getting a USB hub so you have more than the two ports.

OR you could run a windows VM on android (multiple options but the most popular is WINE) but I think if you're not using an x86 processor you'll have to use emulation and it will run like crap.

All depends on how much time/effort/money you're looking ot invest. I don't think these in dash android HU's are all that powerful. They don't need to be. The easiest thing would probably be some sort of carputer.

Or a cheap laptop with VIDA on it...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Planning on an android head unit. Reason for microSD/sd card is because it only has 2 usb slots available and im not sure they are full duplex, and one of them i will most likely need for an external mouse/keyboard. Not sure hiw well a usb hub will work either, may not recognize it. But, the unit does have an sd slot that is used for either external storage or for the gps software.

If i go us drive id need a total of 3 open ports. With micro sd i should be able just to plug in a wireless desktop setup and the dice unit. Bam! Done.

From what i understand about these units they are android laid over winCE. having a live boot/VMware setup on the sd card should make it work. Key word is *should* lol
Android is not only GUI, it is also an embedded version of Linux that has its own kernel that wants to manage hardware.

Also most of (all?) Android-based HUs run on one or another variant of ARM. And typically has only 0.5-2G of RAM.

What you can do is to buy a Windows-based tablet, install VIDA there and carry it around in glove box. People do that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All depends on the BIOS. If you can boot directly off the SD card reader, you're good. Windows doesn't give a **** what it's loaded on.

If not you can try getting a USB hub so you have more than the two ports.

OR you could run a windows VM on android (multiple options but the most popular is WINE) but I think if you're not using an x86 processor you'll have to use emulation and it will run like crap.

All depends on how much time/effort/money you're looking ot invest. I don't think these in dash android HU's are all that powerful. They don't need to be. The easiest thing would probably be some sort of carputer.

Or a cheap laptop with VIDA on it...
I have a cheap (re: free) laptop at my disposal to use vida on... i just like the idea of integrated solutions better lol. So much easier to carry around a dice unit and just plug in as necessary...problem with laptop i have to use is no wifi. Chip is fried i suspect, it wont connect to wifi but shows hardware is there (just not recognizing any signals). Been that way since new, my friends daughter always had troubles. Even with fresh reload/factor reset it doesnt work.

The windows tablet wouldn't be a terrible idea, but still more hardware than i want to carry. Glove box is full ;)

So basically what it sounds like is ill have to use WINE in android...the units im looking at at 32gb flash rom with 4gb ram, android 8.1

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have a cheap (re: free) laptop at my disposal to use vida on... i just like the idea of integrated solutions better lol. So much easier to carry around a dice unit and just plug in as necessary...problem with laptop i have to use is no wifi. Chip is fried i suspect, it wont connect to wifi but shows hardware is there (just not recognizing any signals). Been that way since new, my friends daughter always had troubles. Even with fresh reload/factor reset it doesnt work
Buy a USB-WiFe dongle if you need internet connectivity on laptop. My VIDA VM does not even have a virtual network card. Why would it need that?
So basically what it sounds like is ill have to use WINE in android...the units im looking at at 32gb flash rom with 4gb ram, android 8.1
VIDA needs x86 CPU, what you have is ARM. Even if emulation is possible, it will be thousands of time slower than if you run it on a laptop.

·
Registered
573 Posts
My VIDA VM does not even have a virtual network card. Why would it need that?
And in fact you really don't want the VM to have network access. Then Windows might try to update and likely break VIDA. Also, Win7 is soon to be EOL (Jan 2020), so it'll be a security issue to have it connected to the internet anyway.

Now the host computer having internet access, yea that can be useful.

I shudder to think how awfully an emulated VM will run on ARM... But might be an interesting experiment regardless.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I shudder to think how awfully an emulated VM will run on ARM... But might be an interesting experiment regardless.
People forgot about early virtualization days... Bochs or even QEMU with no VT-x, anyone? ;) Or that full S/360 emulator, what was the name?... Hercules? Half a day of waiting for the Linux login prompt and then it crashes :)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
No, not really. Like I was trying to say, and as others have said...it's gonna be a miserable experience emulating x86 on an ARM processor. And I guarantee whatever HU you're looking at has a mediocre CPU at best...

Your best bet is gonna be a laptop or carputer. Or try to find an x86 based unit...which is doubtful.

Also, Win7 is soon to be EOL (Jan 2020), so it'll be a security issue to have it connected to the internet anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks man :) maybe ill take this a step further and play with an arduino...or go rogue and build an app that plays well with volvo canbus and spits out the real codes/read all the modules .

Some of these head units do operate over WinCE though...makes me wonder if i could make Vida play well with it...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Right, but Windows CE is different OS than Windows with a different kernel. So no you won't be able to get it to run it natively. And while WinCE does support x86 environments...it's generally run on ARM processors in the type of devices you're looking at. You really need to get the CPU specs of the unit you want to buy. That will be the deciding factor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, but Windows CE is different OS than Windows with a different kernel. So no you won't be able to get it to run it natively. And while WinCE does support x86 environments...it's generally run on ARM processors in the type of devices you're looking at. You really need to get the CPU specs of the unit you want to buy. That will be the deciding factor.
Got ya...

Eh, hardware manipulation is more fun anyhow ;) lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks man :) maybe ill take this a step further and play with an arduino...or go rogue and build an app that plays well with volvo canbus and spits out the real codes/read all the modules .
vtl did this on a later P2, his code should be modifiable to work on an '04 once the CAN differences are accounted for. It's on my to-do list to tweak his to work on my '06.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm...interesting :think: im not a software kind of guy, so tweaking code is out of my league...but id like to see what can be done to this aspect for earlier models.

The other option i considered is CFE+ and android integration with it...but at $700+ for all the stuff, plus time and effort to make it work, i can get a dozen dice setups on a laptop lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts