SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1381 - 1395 of 1395 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi guys,

Is it possible to install Oracle virtual machine and Vida 2014 on a USB flash drive?

My laptop has only 90GB of SSD and thought maybe if I run Vida via flash drive, it could save me from buying an old laptop.

When I had my old laptop I had no issues installing oracle and Vida, but never had this done on a USB flash drive.

Is this even possible and have you ever done this before?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Still have the DICE Commucation Error.

WIN10
Volvodiag VM
VIDA 2014D
DICE v.5.6.2

I tried creating a new USB profile in the VM (as read somewhere) to same result: TEST DIAGNOSIS = COMMUNICATION ERROR.

I can SEE the DICE in the Vehicule profile. Just cant use it.

Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,383 ·
Have you ran the test util for the DICE unit yet? What color are the leds of the DICE you have? Can you see it under device manager?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,385 ·

Do you mean the DICE application itself?

I have a green steady light. Then on lug, a flashing USB one. Then it dies off.

If the LED stop then it's possible the controller chip in the DICE is damaged or gone bad.

Do you mean the VM configuration USB?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was mileading, the green light (FIRMWARE) always stays on. The amber light (USB) flashes on connection then dies.

Will take a look at the above,

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Do you mean the DICE application itself?

View attachment 126642

I have a green steady light. Then on lug, a flashing USB one. Then it dies off.

If the LED stop then it's possible the controller chip in the DICE is damaged or gone bad.

Do you mean the VM configuration USB?

View attachment 126641

Hi,

What should I look for there?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,388 ·
The answer to your question.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,392 ·
External 250GB SSD is about 35$ on Amazon... Import the virtual machine to it and you now have a portable VM install.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,393 · (Edited)
@otter

Downloaded Vida from VolvoDiagnostics. Tried importing the VIDA-2014D-English.ova file into WMware Fusion and get the following errors. Any ideas?

Should I abandon using the Mac for Vida and dust off my Lenovo running Windows 10? This is all very frustrating.

Thanks.

View attachment 127630
Firstly, if you are looking for help with something from volvodiag, it should be under this thread instead of create a new thread for each issue. Second, I can tell from that file name that you downloaded the VirtualBox image, scroll further down the page and you'll find the VMWare image.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,394 ·
New virtual machines are available for both VMware and Virtualbox. Both images are multilingual. These images now include the following languages (Chinese, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Taiwan, Thai) The languages German and Finnish I've added manually because Volvo did not include them in any 2014 releases.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just ran into an issue tonight, when i went to scan my car on the vida login screen if i enter admin, 1,2,3, or 4 none of them work, the loading bar appears and then the page just refreshes, any ideas?

1381 - 1395 of 1395 Posts