SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://www.victoryperformanceequip.com/
Got around to installing a few parts and got the time to post about the installation over this memorial weekend. So I will keep my review brief and let the pictures do the talking. First of the Phuz PhMIC is great and probably would have been fine for my future plans with my R but I wanted the one of the highest quality cores I could get my hands on. The VPE Core is about 1 row taller, you can see a major quality difference in the way the fins are utilized in the VPE Core (better cooling). The IMEC was a huge selling point allowing better airflow with less turbulence and expanding the Intake Manifold (I felt a signifcant defference in improvement) I like that (all the piping is included) and it is aluminum... The routing on the VPE core is also a shorter distance less pipe to fill the better... The ported and polished intake manifold I am sure contributed to the significant increase in low end torque and smoothing out the air charge. I can't really comment on the Intake Spacer that I bought from a Volvospeed Member other than that it failed (cracked) and became a huge leak. The water methanol comes on at 10 psi and maxes out at about 20-22 psi. I am using the Labonte Stage II system with the M5 nozzle and usally run -20 windshield washer fluid with a bottle of heet in each tank, for about a 45/55 meth/water mix... At the track I tested with and without it and it appears to be good for .200-.400 seconds and about 2 mph in the top end with the way my car was running during testing... Any questions let me know.

http://www.victoryperformanceequip.com/

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Nice Job.
No ethanol too. Gas is certainly cheaper in Idaho.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Very nice!!

I wanted to run a spacer too, kicking that idea around at the moment.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Very nice!!! So what are you doing with you phuzzmic? :)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Great work! Kudos.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments everyone... :)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I really like the water/meth setup. The tank is out of the way and the pump is positioned close by and lower than the injection solution. I think I would have just used some "boost juice" or mixed my own 50% methanol solution though, I'd worry about other unwanted junk in the WW washer fluid, plus, that's a dedicated injection tank, so you don't need it to wash the window anyway. So does the tubing to the IC spray run under the car along the fuel lines or something?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Great work, I'm jealous.

·
Registered
621 Posts
looks great! what's the KY jelly for??

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really like the water/meth setup. The tank is out of the way and the pump is positioned close by and lower than the injection solution. I think I would have just used some "boost juice" or mixed my own 50% methanol solution though, I'd worry about other unwanted junk in the WW washer fluid, plus, that's a dedicated injection tank, so you don't need it to wash the window anyway. So does the tubing to the IC spray run under the car along the fuel lines or something?
The windshield washer fluid is pure distilled water and meth and the heet is pure methanol. Boost Juice is very expensive in comparison and I can get the blue washer fluid and heet anywhere. I appreciate the compliments on the water/meth setup... The tubing runs under the car zip tied to other lines... It exits out of one of the rubber groments in the trunk.

looks great! what's the KY jelly for??
The KY is a water based lube that I used to assit the injector seals back in without risk of a petroleum lube that could have possilby damaged the seals I always use it to help with tight fits ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The KY is a water based lube that I used to assit the injector seals back in without risk of a petroleum lube that could have possilby damaged the seals I always use it to help with tight fits ;)
haha, KY in the garage never crossed my mind but makes perfect sense! smart man

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Nice. With mine, I actually flipped the AC thing (or whatever it is on the right side) over, since the GT doesn't give you quite as much space. Runs great, and yeah, there's something about that throttle body backing off that just works. Now that it's in the 90s, the R has never been happier.

That, and since my intake pipe was all together, I was pretty much the only person thatg could help ajbell11 with his which split/cracked.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did the VPE kit come with all the hardware and instructions needed for the install?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did the VPE kit come with all the hardware and instructions needed for the install?
It comes complete with all parts required to included: Core, Core mount /tray, piping couplers, bolts, t-bolt clamps clamps, radiator / condenser spacers. Simply yes it does. You could follow any of instructions available... BELL has some great instructions and you can follow them the same and note the relocation of the part I mentioned and you are good to go... I have performed a few installs and can be handled over a weekend by the average backyarder...

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice. With mine, I actually flipped the AC thing (or whatever it is on the right side) over, since the GT doesn't give you quite as much space. Runs great, and yeah, there's something about that throttle body backing off that just works. Now that it's in the 90s, the R has never been happier.

That, and since my intake pipe was all together, I was pretty much the only person thatg could help ajbell11 with his which split/cracked.
Definately agree with everything... The VPE intercooler was definately designed with Stage 2+/ Stage 3 R in mind. :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Definately agree with everything... The VPE intercooler was definately designed with Stage 2+/ Stage 3 R in mind. :)
Yep. How dirty was your throttle body? Mine had decent amount of accumulation on it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep. How dirty was your throttle body? Mine had decent amount of accumulation on it.
Mine had a little film / crud on it but it really wasn's that bad... I am usally pretty meticulous with airfilter changes but I still gave it a good wipe down... Now it gets washed daily :p

1 - 20 of 50 Posts