SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
History -
I purchased a propeller shaft a couple of months ago for my 2007 S60R to replace a damaged shaft thanks to the EBD. Ever since then, I have had a vibration in the steering wheel that I have not been able to fix. I have replaced all four struts and associated hardware, both lower control arms and all four tires. (Everything really needed to be replaced so I do not feel like I am throwing away good parts) I am starting to question whether the new propeller shaft is not the culprit as I did not have this issue before the replacement. The vibration is really evident at speeds higher then 55 mph and really gets bad at 70 on a newly paved road.

Questions
1) Are there any tests that I can run to either confirm or exclude the replacement propeller shaft as the source of the vibration? Is the propeller shaft under load at higher speeds or is the car essentially in front wheel drive? I sent Colorado Drive Shafts an e-mail to see what they have to say.

2) What else could be causing a steering wheel vibration if it is not the propeller shaft? I have replaced most of the wear components in the front end at this point. Tie rods and ball joints look good.

·
Registered
547 Posts
History -
I purchased a propeller shaft a couple of months ago for my 2007 S60R to replace a damaged shaft thanks to the EBD. Ever since then, I have had a vibration in the steering wheel that I have not been able to fix. I have replaced all four struts and associated hardware, both lower control arms and all four tires. (Everything really needed to be replaced so I do not feel like I am throwing away good parts) I am starting to question whether the new propeller shaft is not the culprit as I did not have this issue before the replacement. The vibration is really evident at speeds higher then 55 mph and really gets bad at 70 on a newly paved road.

Questions
1) Are there any tests that I can run to either confirm or exclude the replacement propeller shaft as the source of the vibration? Is the propeller shaft under load at higher speeds or is the car essentially in front wheel drive? I sent Colorado Drive Shafts an e-mail to see what they have to say.

2) What else could be causing a steering wheel vibration if it is not the propeller shaft? I have replaced most of the wear components in the front end at this point. Tie rods and ball joints look good.
Bent wheels or spacers, or improper torquing of the lug nuts (Star pattern!)

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Are your tires balanced? That's what I'd guess if everything else is new. Swap the front and rear tire and see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I'm with the above advice to look into other more likely culprits like wheels, but if you get stumped remove the shaft to see if that eliminates the vibration.

The fact that you are getting the strongest shake around 70 points to wheels though. That's about where I've discovered a slight wheel imbalance or imperfection starts feeding into the natural resonant frequency of the suspension. New tires fixed it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The wheels have 3.75 oz on two wheels and 2 oz on the other two which is a little weird to me. I had to take one of the 3.75 oz wheels back and get it rebalanced because they originally stacked the weights causing it to hit the brake caliper. Should I try and get them road balanced? Does that have the ability to identify bent rims?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Road balancing is better at dealing with wheel imperfections in addition to imbalances, but it can't work miracles if something is really ****ed up.

Weight stacking in a tight wheel/brake package is pretty bad form. If that is what you have already found I think you need to get your tire guys on the ball before you turn your eyes to a new driveshaft.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Road balancing is better at dealing with wheel imperfections in addition to imbalances, but it can't work miracles if something is really ****ed up.

Weight stacking in a tight wheel/brake package is pretty bad form. If that is what you have already found I think you need to get your tire guys on the ball before you turn your eyes to a new driveshaft.
Weight stacking period is bad form. I've never seen a shop do this. Event Discount Tire knows better than that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was Discount Tire...I will take it back to them tomorrow and have them do a rebalance. How much should I be worried that they didn't put the yellow dot next to the valve stem?

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
It shows you they are being sloppy, because that is the way you are supposed to get the best wheel-rim balance. Sounds like they have a bunch of sloppy dumbasses working down there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick Update: Took the car back in to Discount and they re-balanced the tires. They made some minor adjustments, but nothing significant. I drove the car on the highway and the vibration was still there. The manager then took the car for a test drive and felt the same vibration. They are going to replace two of the tires that are from a different lot tomorrow. Wish me luck....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts