SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got AWD auto with 110k. Ive now replaced all engine mounts, the driver side hydaulic upgrade most recently. Well I had vibration before replacing it, but not its bad. When accelerating at basically any speed or cruise on, and under load, the floor and steering wheel vibrates. if I go into nuetral it goes away, and if I park the car and rev it doesnt happen. So withouth looking ive basically narrowed it to the front axle shaft or possibly drive shaft. although it only seems to vibrate int he front.

so to my question, ipd and Tasca only sells one axle shaft, the left passenger side. Do we only have one? Im assuming the transaxle on the driver side connects directly to the wheel bearing w/o a shaft? I havent touched the driveline on this car at all so anything else I should replace if I ened of up doing the pass shaft? IVe heard the angle gear seal is notorious for going bad. Where is that? Is it easy fix?

Thanks a ton in advance you guys always come through.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
When accelerating at basically any speed or cruise on, and under load, the floor and steering wheel vibrates. if I go into neutral it goes away, and if I park the car and rev it doesn't happen.
This is a pretty good indication of worn out axles. It wouldn't be too unusual at your mileage to change them out.
left passenger side
Left & right are assigned with you in the car. Thus, the passenger side is the right axle.
I'm assuming the transaxle on the driver side connects directly to the wheel bearing w/o a shaft?
I can assure you that you have both a right & left axle assembly. I think it's time for you to slide under that car & take a look around. Look for torn CV boots (grease slinging about) & any oil leaks.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yes, very likely axle shaft going bad (or its CV joint). I've just been through replacing both front axles.
It's costly if you have a mechanic do it. I know that's what I did.
Parts and labor are something like $1500. It's the Volvo parts really that are expensive. One of them said made in Romania. Go figure Volvo's margins here :facepalm:

If you're not lowered and found out it is the axle than I would recommend buying aftermarket. If you're lowered I recommend going with Volvo parts because the newer ones are suppose to be slightly longer than the original 2005 models. This supposedly to accommodate lowered cars.

It is worth doing in my opinion.
It took me more than a year to do it. I couldn't take it anymore!
My CV joints were not leaking. Something was probably warped.

Pczeilon is right, Check your CV joints first for leaks. If it's just the CV joints some rebuild them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont see any leaks and there isnt much movement on them. ipd has one of them for 100 but not the other. Im not sure where to get the driver side left one.

apologies for mixing up the designation before, it was very late and I just typed it wrong.

I will just replace them myself so I cant see it costing me that much money.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I'm not sure where to get the driver side left one.
Any dealer. Not sure why you are having trouble with this. The aftermarket will only carry the popular part numbers. AWD/Auto left side must be special. :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any dealer. Not sure why you are having trouble with this. The aftermarket will only carry the popular part numbers. AWD/Auto left side must be special. :)
ya the dealer says only the left one comes up. i also tried ipd, tasca, and oreily for fun. I dont think my right is bad anyway, but wanted to do both just as preventative.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It's a part # and naming issue. It's a total mess with Volvo part #

Here's what I have:
Auto tran FWD
Left 36000550
Right 36000559

Not sure if the front axles are different for AWD
They are for manual tran

1 - 7 of 7 Posts