SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just picked up an 08 V50 AWD T5 with 78k. Quite stoked for my first Volvo after being a Saab guy. But it has vibration under load. Gentle acceleration, foot to floor or up hill. Not at idle, not coasting. Figure its some time of drive train issue but not sure if its front or rear. Wondering if there is a common ujoint or CV Axle issue and any other suggestions would be appreciated. Have to drive her back to Denver from Portland...Its not horrible but if I could fix before a 19 hr drive it would give piece of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I figured as much but wanted to check here before I went to a shop. Dont have any tools with me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After much searching I believe the problem to be the Propshaft front CV. Thanks to everyone on this forum for posting their info. I made it back to Denver but the problem has gotten worse and I now have the clunk when switching to Drive or Reverse. This symptom seems to be attributed to that same Propshaft CV issue. I'll fix that next week.

Any suggestions on best aftermarket MFG for that part?

I was also hoping to replace the prop shaft center support carrier. But it appears I have to take it to a driveshaft shop to have that replaced. Is that correct?

·
Registered
130 Posts
The replacement RH axle will come with a new bearing.

I got mine new from Napa, $160 for the pair. I don't have many miles on them so I cannot comment on longevity. But they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After much searching I believe the problem to be the Propshaft front CV. Thanks to everyone on this forum for posting their info. I made it back to Denver but the problem has gotten worse and I now have the clunk when switching to Drive or Reverse. This symptom seems to be attributed to that same Propshaft CV issue. I'll fix that next week.

Any suggestions on best aftermarket MFG for that part?

I was also hoping to replace the prop shaft center support carrier. But it appears I have to take it to a driveshaft shop to have that replaced. Is that correct?
I think that you need to cut the propshaft if you want to replace the support bearing.
Front and rear cv joints are easy, just remove the propshaft from the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sad Volvo would design a propshaft which requires a full rebuild to replace a consumable part. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I just replaced mine with a used unit. My original (2007) driveshaft had an exposed u-joint CV that seized up, whereas the used replacement I got from a 2005/6 (can't recall which) had a booted CV joint in place of that. Note that only the front CV (that connects to the angle gear output shaft) is replaceable. The rear (that connects to the Haldex input shaft) is not replaceable.

Finding a used unit in Canada was tricky, but it appears there are tons of them in the US.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just replaced mine with a used unit. My original (2007) driveshaft had an exposed u-joint CV that seized up, whereas the used replacement I got from a 2005/6 (can't recall which) had a booted CV joint in place of that. Note that only the front CV (that connects to the angle gear output shaft) is replaceable. The rear (that connects to the Haldex input shaft) is not replaceable.

Finding a used unit in Canada was tricky, but it appears there are tons of them in the US.
You're sure about the rear cv, or You're referring to Volvo instructions?

Both front and rear cv's are replacable, it's the same part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So I've read posts which argue both sides of this question. Can you replace both front and rear CVs? Some people say they have replaced both with success. Most say you can only replace the front CV. Check out the fine print for the replacement CV....

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was just going by what the Volvo's literature says. Either way, my issue was not in either of those CVs (although I did damage the rear one removing the driveshaft). You may want to remove the driveshaft and verify where the problem lies. I believe there are 4 joints total, plus 2 carrier bearings, that could pose an issue.

I know @lookforjoe has replaced a CV on his driveshaft using an eBay bearing. Perhaps he can chime in. Can the same part be used to replace both front and rear CVs, or just the front?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree, so I'll just get it down and have look. Either way I can order what I need through Colorado Driveshaft. Luckily I live in Denver so that will be a easy peasy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts