SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. 2004 S60R. Need help diagnosing my vibration issue. I read a few threads and there are a lot of possible causes it seems and I don't have unlimited $ to throw at it so I am hoping to give specific info and hope you guys may have some ideas.

Vibrates (not really in the steering wheel, the whole car shakes) pretty badly ONLY when accelerating or under load and really only at about 40-70ish mph. When coasting there is no vibration. From 0-30/40 there is no vibration even under load. It doesn't do it as badly until the car has been driven for a while it seems. The vibration is worse the more gas I give it. It seems to be a side to side vibration.

There is a noticeable "clank" sound (almost like metal on metal but not sure) in the front part of the car like something is shifting when you tap on the gas from a coast at any speed or when taking off, but not when you stay in the throttle, only if you tap it and let off. It also does it with my foot on the brake when going to drive from park sometimes and always when going from reverse to drive. Almost like something is loose or something heavy is shifting/sliding. If there is a hard shift between gears when driving it will do it.

Car details:

Stock 18" Pegs
New tires
Replaced Lower control arms and front outer tie rods a few months ago.
FWD only. RWD hasn't worked for a while, has "anti skid" and "chasis settings" faults. Have not been able to diagnose it. Drive shaft still spins to the rear wheels.

I've seen probably a dozen different possible causes for the vibration issues as a while, but hope that given my specific circumstances (load only, not until driven for a while, only at 40-70ish mph, clank noise) some people may be able to point me in the right direction. I love my R and really hope I can get this sorted.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Just a thought check your lower trans mount. I had a clanking sound when shifting and sure enough the bushings were toast. Also for your chasing settings check the right rear passenger side abs sensor on the hub. My wire beoke and caused the codes resoilder it and Im good.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys. So you don't think the two are related?

I'm willing to check anything, but am not a mechanic by any means. Are there instructions or a DIY anywhere online I could check out?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Motor mounts. Esp with the clank when the engine moves b/c of torque applied. Check ALL motor and trans mounts.

Of course, check the half shafts too, but usually you'd know they are bad b/c they click when turning.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much. There are two motor mounts, one in the engine bay and one under. Is that correct or are there more?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
There are 3 support mounts, two of them being where the engine mates with the transmission, and one on the end where the belt pulley is.

And there are two additional torque mounts, one connected to the strut bar at the top of the motor, and another that connects the tranny to the subframe at the bottom.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Does your engine move when you pull on the upper torque mount? Check your spring seats and LCAs they can cause vibration and noise. I'd also suggest a transmission torque mount, they fail.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I have found and know how to check these two mounts but am not sure where the other ones I could check are, could someone point me to an image something similar? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The 2 addl I know of are:
1 below the crank pulley on the passenger side
1 at the rear diff, where the angle gear will be to supply the AWD.
The 3rd one I haven't had need to look for, and I believe its the least common to fail.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2 addl I know of are:
1 below the crank pulley on the passenger side
1 at the rear diff, where the angle gear will be to supply the AWD.
The 3rd one I haven't had need to look for, and I believe its the least common to fail.
Is there a diagram or picture of these anywhere? I googled it but didn't see one. It would help me a good bit. My AWD isn't working so I wonder if they could be related.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
The mounts are 1, 3, 5, 9 & 12.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Here is a quick video of the movement in the upper engine mount. Is this bad enough that it could be causing the clank and vibration under load?

https://youtu.be/XjGuL4vgryA
That top torque mount does look shot, one at the very bottom of the tranny may be in bad shape as well. Replace them since they need it to see if that rectifies the issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That top torque mount does look shot, one at the very bottom of the tranny may be in bad shape as well. Replace them since they need it to see if that rectifies the issue.
Gotcha. Are you talking about #9 in the diagram in the post above yours?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Yes, 9 is the bottom torque mount, and 12 is the top. The rest of the mounts just support the engine in the subframe, but the torque mounts are the ones that deal with all the torque from the front axles.

Just a FYI, the #2 mount is the one under the starter, the diagram above doesn't make very clear where it lives.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have had this same problem for some time now, shop diagnosed bad prop shaft when the car went in for AWD work. Going to be replacing in the near future, I'll report back.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have had this same problem for some time now, shop diagnosed bad prop shaft when the car went in for AWD work. Going to be replacing in the near future, I'll report back.
I've read prop shaft, half shafts, etc. Will be interested to see if that fixes yours. What was their estimate?

·
Registered
50 Posts
For what it's worth, if the inboard joint on the axle is smoked you'll tend to get a vibration upon acceleration no matter what the speed... That being said, anything can happen. I'm not sure about the R, but I would imagine that they are just as sensitive as the XC70s to axle issues.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts