SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally got around to put on my 18'' rims and found that the steering wheel tends to vibrate a bit when i go above 70/80 km/h .. and gets worst as speed increases .. at first I thought wheels weren't balanced and got a tire shop to get that done. The problem was not as severe as before.. but the problem still exist. Then i thought it was the tires that i got.. cus the tread patterns are in opposite direction, but later found that they are not directional and all four are mounted on properly.. any ideas what the problem might be ? thanks

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: vibration on the wheels after installing aftermarket rims (al820)

Check with another tire shop. My bet is that something is still wrong with the wheels/tires. Check with a shop that has a Hunter DSP9700 machine or whatever it's called. They can roadbalance them.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If it didn't happen before these wheels + tires then it's a balancing issue.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts

Do you have hubcentric rings installed? Without them, your rims will vibrate at speed. If you have hubcentric rings, make sure they are the proper ones for your type of rims and the s40 hub. Even if they are off slightly, you can still get vibration.<br>

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: vibration on the wheels after installing aftermarket rims (Volvo Grrrr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Volvo Grrrr</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you have hubcentric rings installed? Without them, your rims will vibrate at speed. If you have hubcentric rings, make sure they are the proper ones for your type of rims and the s40 hub. Even if they are off slightly, you can still get vibration.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>+1 for what he said.<br>See here for hub size for our cars -> <A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=43664#511607" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...11607</A>

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: vibration on the wheels after installing aftermarket rims (volvoNB)

I don't think my rims came with hubcentric rings .. but this is one of the things i asked the bbs dealership before I finally got to purchase them .. the manager was adamant that "everything I would need for my car would be in there"<br>So i trust him that it should be fine...<p>I've got myself a set of BBS CVs... and nothing aside from trouble happended afterwards. I'm not sure if anyone here have dealt with Speedwaremotorsports.. they are the BBS dealership that BBS USA recommended me.. and they're in Seattle. At first I was hoping to get CKs.. but I couldn't find them in 18's.. somehow they told me that they have it.. so i decided to place order. When i got delivery of them.. it turned out to be CVs.. and they said that it was a mistake and that he meant CVs all along. Even though 3 or 4 emails that we've sent to each other to confirm all indicated CKs.. Anyhow.. I'm still satisfied w/ the looks of CV and price difference were minimal so i decided to let it go.. however if more problem would arise.. and it turns out that I actually need hubcentric rings which he said i do not.. then i recommend ppl not dealing w/ this shop again..

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

I really doubt the rims are made with the exact center bore as your hub. Either it was already installed or the fool doesn't know. Call the guy up and ask him what the center bore of the BBS rims are. If it's not 63.4mm then you need hubcentric rings. Even 1mm difference will make the rims vibrate. Try to get them to pay for it to compensate for the mess up.<br>

·
Registered
374 Posts
You definately need hubcentric rings. They are cheap small plastic rings that are easy to overlook or lose. I had this problem with my aftermarket rims and the hubcentric ones fixed the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts

Call TireRack and buy them. They should know what size rings you need. Small price to pay even though Speedware Motorsports should be providing them.<p>If they gave you this much hassle, I would contact BBS directly and complain to them about their service. They may even be able to obtain the correct hubcentric rings for you.<p>Also the hubcentric rings can be plastic or metal. I've seen them in both materials.<br>

·
Registered
365 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>al820</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure if anyone here have dealt with Speedwaremotorsports.. they are the BBS dealership that BBS USA recommended me.. and they're in Seattle.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I have dealt with Speedware. They fabricated a custom bracket for a race seat for one of my cars. <p>Let's just say that I don't recommend them to anyone. <p>I'd recommend you call and talk to Dan and tell him the story. Hopefully he will send you the required rings (assuming they are needed).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Volvo Grrr is right. I had the exact same thing happen to me on my old BMW M5 (e28). Ordered new wheels and suffered from vibrations for months until I finally figured it out. You guessed it. hubcentric rings.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Re: (f1fnatik)

Aside from hub centric rings, you should also get them high speed balanced. If you go into a shop asking for balancing, they'll do a normal balance, which I believe is based on less than 50MPH. Who drives 100% less than 50MPH?<p>You have to specifically ask for high speed balancing, and the shop needs to have the equipment to do it. I know some Scher Tires in my area do it. You'd have to call around and ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts