i have a strange noice in my xc40 awd
its coming from the left side door
or left backdoor..maybe left front..hm*
driving at low speed..no noise at all
no tires wrong..same on winter/summer
sound comes on a higher speed
start from 80km/h..and higher up..everytime
sounds like a hard plastic vibrate on something
Similar to mine. Ti vibrates on low rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 V90 CC Pro D5 AWD w. Polestar tune
2020 XC40 D4 AWD R-Design w. Polestar tune

·
Registered
222 Posts
There is a TJ about a similar noise caused by the front wheel mudliners vibrating against the lower floor right and left sides, at higher speeds there is small area of the plastic that can flutter and vibrate against the floor(s).
Hard to explain where to look, it is the area under the car directly under your left foot on the left side and right foot on the right side.
If you get under and study the front plastic mudliners you'll see a small triangular flap that touches on the floor. The repair is to simply trim off that triangular section to prevent it hitting on the floor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Sorry no photo or other references, I'm not at work today.

Do you understand what I mean by mudliner? Those are the large plastic parts inside the each wheel arch that covers and protects the body from water splash.

The ones housed under each front fender are shaped like a quarter dome. At their rear edge at the bottom a small triangle shaped piece (~60mm x ~60mm x ~100mm) makes a 90 degree turn and lays flat under the car. That little triangle part flutters in the air and it's tip hits on the floor directly beneath your outer foot.

As said the repair is to simply trim off that part to prevent it from hitting. There are no other problems that will arise except the annoying noise.

If you have a retailer near you, by using your VIN, they may be able to confirm that your car is one that can be affected.
If the car is still under regular warranty they can make the repair at no cost to you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think i found the problem
rear plastics..below springs
1 plastic nuts missing on each side
then the plastic..vibrate to excaust

1 - 14 of 14 Posts