SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been driving my 21" wheel XC90 back and forth to the beach all throughout the summer. We are currently enjoying the summer here in Peru.

The highway is in excellent condition for the first 60 miles, but to get to the beach I go to, I have to exit the highway and take a dirt road for a mile or so. It is in bad shape, but I drive slowly.

I started noticing a shimmy on the steering wheel while driving between 60-75mph on the highway, which is as smooth as a pool table. It is very subtle and probably most drivers wouldn't notice it. I did notice it because I sometimes make the same drive with my wife's Touareg (18" wheels), where there is no vibration whatsoever.

I have taken the car to a speed balancing machine on two separate occasions, but the shimmy is still there.

I was planning on rotating the wheels, BUT:

On Saturday I noticed that there is a more noticeable vibration after I floored the car between 60-85mph. The shimmy on the steering wheel persisted, AND the vibration spread to the pedals and underneath the floor mat. What is more, the car made a brusk gear change, which might or might not be related to the vibration.

I'm almost sure that speed balancing for a third time and rotating the wheels will not solve this.

I had an Audi A5 with a similar problem once, and Audi changed the rubber bushing control arms and tires to fix the problem. It took several months of trials and errors, before a TSB came out to change these parts.

Has anyone else experienced something similar with the XC90? I truly hope I don't have to go through the Audi experience all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You're sure this isn't the lane keeping assist right? I believe it can be set to give feedback in the steering wheel and/or pedals.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're sure this isn't the lane keeping assist right? I believe it can be set to give feedback in the steering wheel and/or pedals.
Yes sir. Completely sure it isn't lane assist. I find it annoying and keep it off at all times.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Hm yeah I have no idea beyond various suspension bits and tires like you mention. I haven't experienced this but I do have air suspension so I wouldn't know anyway. Definitely sounds like something amiss. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Not having anything like you've reported and I know exactly what you're talking about - my last car was a 2010 Subaru Outback that had numerous problems with highway wobble.

I haven't seen anyone mention on the forum in several months - so my guess is one of your tires is the culprit. Some tread separation can do exactly what you describe and is pretty common.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not having anything like you've reported and I know exactly what you're talking about - my last car was a 2010 Subaru Outback that had numerous problems with highway wobble.

I haven't seen anyone mention on the forum in several months - so my guess is one of your tires is the culprit. Some tread separation can do exactly what you describe and is pretty common.
I am taking the car to the dealer so that they can check the tires and see if something is off. Thank you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm having a similar issue and hasn't been resolved with balancing. Was there any final resolution to yours? My service manager said he may have found a TSB that applies, curious if you had something like that to fix it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have a similar issue. Wife hit a pot hole and blew out 2 tires but had them replaced and wheels balanced and issue is still present.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've experienced this as well. It's a simple wheel alignment issue. Try asking the dealer for a roadforce balancing, this is the only thing that will definitely deal with your vibration issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello hajossy.

Any feedback from the dealer?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Yes sir.

First, Dealer took the car for test drives and acknowledged the vibration.

Then they elevated the car and started rotating the wheels very slowly, finding that the axle shafts would move slightly up and down (something that according to them, shouldn't happen). They determined that the shafts were bent.

However, they said that before changing the shafts, Sweden had asked them to drive the car with a different set of wheels/tires. According to them, if they found a problem with the tire tread, maybe changing the axle shafts wouldn't be necessary.

Long story short, they ended changing the axle shafts and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes sir.

Then they elevated the car and started rotating the wheels very slowly, finding that the axle shafts would move slightly up and down (something that according to them, shouldn't happen). They determined that the shafts were bent.

However, they said that before changing the shafts, Sweden had asked them to drive the car with a different set of wheels/tires. According to them, if they found a problem with the tire tread, maybe changing the axle shafts wouldn't be necessary.

Hello hajossy

Many thanks for the update.

Great that they fixed your problem but a little worrying that the needed to change the axle shafts.
I will need to keep an eye on this as I have to drive over dirt roads in southern Chile.

Saludos

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes sir.

Was your vibration occurring during coasting/steady cruise or more (mostly) noticeable during acceleration? We've had a slight vibration that only appears when pulling any form of a slight to steep hill.

Tires were road force balanced, no change. Odd, my first thought was "driveline unbalanced". Reason being, the S60RD we had also had a bad rear shaft that was replaced. Came to our attention through...you guessed it, a vibration.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was your vibration occurring during coasting/steady cruise or more (mostly) noticeable during acceleration? We've had a slight vibration that only appears when pulling any form of a slight to steep hill.

Tires were road force balanced, no change. Odd, my first thought was "driveline unbalanced". Reason being, the S60RD we had also had a bad rear shaft that was replaced. Came to our attention through...you guessed it, a vibration.
It would be noticeable while cruising, but as you mention, the vibration would increase while accelerating between 75-85 mph... At this point, the vibration was felt through the car. I have always noticed it on flat roads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It would be noticeable while cruising, but as you mention, the vibration would increase while accelerating between 75-85 mph... At this point, the vibration was felt through the car. I have always noticed it on flat roads.

Did they note a TSB number on your service invoice for the axle replacement? Can you post a picture or scan of your invoice so I can show it to my dealer? They haven't tried anything past wheel balance to resolve this on my car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did they note a TSB number on your service invoice for the axle replacement? Can you post a picture or scan of your invoice so I can show it to my dealer? They haven't tried anything past wheel balance to resolve this on my car.
They never gave me an invoice for the job they did. I don't believe there was a TSB involved with my replscements. At least, they never mentioned it.

Next time I take the car to the dealer, I will ask for the document.

In the meantime, you could go ahead and look for a TSB here:

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index...lass=service,parts&itemType=Technical Journal

·
Registered
439 Posts
From another thread: "Service campaign S49792, which had them replace both rear axle shafts."

1 - 20 of 21 Posts