SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, newbie here who post for the first time. I bought a 2004 S60R 6speed about 2 months ago with 130000miles. Did lots of maintenance to the car including new tires, suspension and timing belt. When i drive the car i feel constantly a vibration in the seats and floor but not in the steering wheel, starts at about 30mph till 80+mph. With increasing speed the vibration increases in intensity but not that bad that it shakes me out of the car. It seems that the vibration comes from the front but I checked everything and cant find anything wrong which I think could cause this. Tires and rims are 100% round, straight and true and wheel bearings feel good and don't make any noise. The only noise i can hear, with the window open, is when i make a sharp right turn i hear some grinding, sure the grinding is not caused by the tires hitting the inside fender because i installed new steering stops and know how that sounds. It almost seems that the vibration is worse when it is colder outside and less noticeable with higher outside temperatures, but still clearly noticeable when it is warm out. Also took the propeller shaft out and drove the car without, the vibration is still there. I really love this Volvo and besides the vibration it runs great! Does anyone have any idea what could cause the vibration and what my next step should be? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Really sounds like one of you rear tires out out of balance.
I know you said tires are "100% round, straight and true" but I'd try moving the rear tires to the front to see if it changes the vibration at all. It would be pretty easy to swap them so it couldn't hurt.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply, I had the tires balanced twice at two different tires shops and both told me nothing wrong them. Did also do a full alignment on the car which did not help. I also swapped front and rear tires but with again no result or change in vibration. I am suspicious of maybe a front drive shaft CV going bad or maybe a engine mount? How about the carrier bearing for the front axle? Or the wheel bearing on the left front is going out because i hear some grinding when full weight is on the left front wheel when i make a sharp right turn. I have seen a few Volvo's with wheel bearings going bad, but these made significantly more noise and as far i know do not cause the vibration that i am experiencing.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Are the wheels stock, and if not, are the hub centric rings properly sized?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You have Falkens, lol

Try rebalancing the wheels.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Control arms and tie rods were my issues. The grinding sound is probably your dust shield behind the rotors. It's really easy to adjust it. Just push or pull on it. I'm not sure which way it needs to go haha.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Couple things you can do to try resolve the problem:
Rebalance the wheels.
Reinstall the wheels and make sure they are tighten.
Worn out bushings.
Alignment.

·
Registered
919 Posts
maybe an axle?
^^ sounds like your right axle could be ground down. Explains imbalance (vibration) as a function of vehicle speed rather than engine rpms or gear ratio.

If you took the prop shaft out just to check you'll do fine on this forum, haha

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wheel Bearing?

Is it a vibration along with a hum, like you are running truck tires? Check the wheel bearing on the side that makes the noise when you turn the opposite direction--left turn, right wheel bearing.

My right side front wheel bearing is going out and I get a slight vibration and noise above 30-40 mph.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
alex, can i have worn control arms for $500 please (reading this thread reminds me of jepardy) LOL

bought a 05 VR last monday

vibration that feels like it is coming from under me. the next day i brought it into my shop
-rebalanced all 4 tires they were all out of balance, vibration still there
-flushed trans fluid, vibration still there(Previous owner never flushed it in the last 100k)
-replaced top motor mount and lower trans mount, vibration still there
-got it on the lift and wanted to remove EBD, done already. vibration still there
-while on the lift, checked both inner and outer tie rods, end links, ect...all look fine and done seem worn
-while on the lift, used a pry bar and check control arms, it had play. installed new ones with old ball joints...vibration went away

while i changed out the control arms i swapped the steering stops from left to right. this actually flips the steering stops to the unworn side. now my car does not make the rubbing noise inside the fender anymore

My VR has 158k fyi....now onto finding some used rear 4c shocks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the input and ideas. I narrowed my problem down to being the rims or the tires. Before i installed the Falken's i was using Tigerpaw's with the same rims and did have no issues. Tuesday i will contact discount tire and let them know that these Falken's are junk and see if they will replace them with some other tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: I bought 4 refinished OEM 18" pegs and 4 bridgestone potenza's, still the vibration is there. I checked all the drive axles front and rear, there is absolutely no play in any of them. I hung the car on the lift, let all 4 wheels spin and shift thru the gears up to 50mph and still we don't see anything strange or out of balance. Could it be that the transfer case causes the vibration that the car is having? The vibration is in the seats and the floor but I absolutely don't feel it in my steering wheel, steering wheel is quit and not moving at all. I was thinking about an out of balance front brake rotor, but I guess this should be felt in the steering wheel and in the brake pedal but this seems all fine and there is no pulsating or vibration in these. Any input is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Update: I bought 4 refinished OEM 18" pegs and 4 bridgestone potenza's, still the vibration is there. I checked all the drive axles front and rear, there is absolutely no play in any of them. I hung the car on the lift, let all 4 wheels spin and shift thru the gears up to 50mph and still we don't see anything strange or out of balance. Could it be that the transfer case causes the vibration that the car is having? The vibration is in the seats and the floor but I absolutely don't feel it in my steering wheel, steering wheel is quit and not moving at all. I was thinking about an out of balance front brake rotor, but I guess this should be felt in the steering wheel and in the brake pedal but this seems all fine and there is no pulsating or vibration in these. Any input is greatly appreciated!
are 4 bridgestone potenza's brand new or used?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
4 brand new bridgestone potenza RE760 sport, i am sure that the problem is not in the tires or rims. I recently replaced the rear brake rotors with aftermarket rotors from IPD, could it be that these are out of round or balance without feeling a pulsating in the brake pedal? I am debating if the vibration comes from the rear because it is only felt in the seats, chassis and console but not in the steering wheel.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
When i drive the car i feel constantly a vibration in the seats and floor but not in the steering wheel, starts at about 30mph till 80+mph.QUOTE]

what have you done for mods? I really doubt it could be rotors cause your brake pedal would be pulsating when you step on it. did you do anything with exhaust?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No modifications done, car is totally original. I did not do anything special to the exhaust except deleting the resonator and replacing by a piece of straight pipe. I just dont know where to start no more, everything seems fine and works like it should it is just that annoying vibration. Does anyone know how much play there should be on the axles? The left front axle can be maybe moved a half inch from left to right(between wheel and transmission) and the right front axle cant be moved at all. Is this normal that right front doesn't move? Both axles cannot be moved when trying to rotate by hand(back and front), so no play in that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How about the hydraulic engine mounts? Could these cause this kind of vibration? The rear hydraulic engine mount looks fine to me but the front one is getting there, there is some play in the metal wires. The upper and lower torque mounts have both been replaced.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts