SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a vibration/rubbing/grinding from the right front wheel. This only happens when I turn right and at slow speeds. It occurs at slight turns to full turn. It does not happen when I turn left. My car has about 4200 miles on it and I have taken it into the dealership to have it fixed. They replaced some power steering lines and resevoir per a TSB and shimmed the steering stops. They mentioned that one was worn more than the other (right side) and replaced it. This hasn't fixed the problem and it seems to occur more often now. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be so I will know what to tell the dealer when I take it back? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Vibration in Right Front Wheel (JeremyMitchell)

Quote, originally posted by JeremyMitchell »
I am getting a vibration/rubbing/grinding from the right front wheel. This only happens when I turn right and at slow speeds. It occurs at slight turns to full turn. It does not happen when I turn left. My car has about 4200 miles on it and I have taken it into the dealership to have it fixed. They replaced some power steering lines and resevoir per a TSB and shimmed the steering stops. They mentioned that one was worn more than the other (right side) and replaced it. This hasn't fixed the problem and it seems to occur more often now. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be so I will know what to tell the dealer when I take it back? Any help would be appreciated.

Almost certainly you have a bad wheel bearing. Known issue. I had very similar simptoms (grinding noise, groaning at speed). It happened much more often when turning in one direction than another. Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing at 28,000 miles. Tell them to look there. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Vibration in Right Front Wheel (Quick Brick)

I suppose that it could be, but it is curious that it occurs only at slow right turns and that it occurs at partial turns not necessarily at full turns. Also, it doesn't happen every time and I would think that tire rub would happen each time I made a turn. It has occured worse since the dealership replaced the power steering and shimmed the stops. Remember I only have 5000 miles on the car so there shouldn't be a lot of wear to anything.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Vibration in Right Front Wheel (JeremyMitchell)

Quote, originally posted by JeremyMitchell »
I suppose that it could be, but it is curious that it occurs only at slow right turns and that it occurs at partial turns not necessarily at full turns. Also, it doesn't happen every time and I would think that tire rub would happen each time I made a turn. It has occured worse since the dealership replaced the power steering and shimmed the stops. Remember I only have 5000 miles on the car so there shouldn't be a lot of wear to anything.

Sounds more intermittent than the wheel bearing issue, but there was a bad batch of wheel bearings out there or something like that. Mine was gone at 26,000 miles. I've never had to replace a wheel bearing in the 350,000 miles I've put on my 3 previous cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.