SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a nagging vibration from the right rear for the past year or so on my 2007 S80 3.2 FWD. It SURE feels like a out of balance tire/bent rim but have now tried FOUR different sets and done the front/rear swap. I am convinced the problem is not wheel/tire based.
110K miles on the car.

Vibration comes mildly at 32-38MPH and more aggressively at 60-70MPH, then goes away at 75 MPH+ quite smooth at that point.
If you sit in the back right seat you can feel it coming from under you. Move to the left seat - you still can tell its coming from the right.
For a while it was "shifty' - not consistent in how much vibration or the exact speed it came on.
Annoying but liveable.

Various diagnosis as follows:
1 - local indy shop guy I trust does a quick suspension check on the lift and says right rear trailing arm bushing is in bad shape. Should be fixed but may or may be the source of vibration. He doesn't have the tool to change so recommends Volvo dealer. (no test drive)

2- Dealer has car for 4 days (gave me a nice loaner!). I told them about the initial diagnosis (bushings). They say suspension is fine. after several attempts to rebalance the tires, they put a NEW set of wheels and tires and confirm the vibration is still there. Also a vibration on braking (separate issue).
Final Diagnosis... Bad rear shocks. They noted play on the lift at full extension. 4C suspension. this is a $2K item. And MIGHT fix the vibration.
I drive the car every day. the shocks are not amazing. the 4C has never been very impressive to me, but the car rides very smooth and eats up bumps so to say the shocks are shot just doesn't feel right. but thats all I get from them. 3 different test drivers - all pure Volvo techs.

Anyone buying that?

3 - Back to the indy shop. decide to turn the rotors to see if the brake vibration is tied to the non brake vibration. This cures the brake vibration. But now the Non-brake vibration is WORSE and much more consistent. A little bit at 35 MPH, bad vibration at 65 MPH. smooth at 75 MPH.
not really liveable anymore.

The indy guy test drove it this time and is convinced its a rotational issue - the only rotating thing back there is the hub so he suggests we replace it. No noide or play in the hub. maybe a slight runout could cause the vibration? Seems odd that Volvo would miss it if thats the case...

now back to the Trailing arm bushings. On visual inspection both the right AND left bushings at the front (large diameter bushing with a rubber spokes) seem to be torn partially . I have pics but not sure how to attach them...

Thats all I got. Any insights or recommendations surely appreciated!

Local Volvo shop confirmed

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Are the rear hubs on the S80 the same as the XC90? on the XC90 it is not uncommon for the rear bearings to go. When one went on our XC90 there was very little noise (one went, I replaced both).

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I would replace the rear shocks as they say - it might fix the issue, but even if it doesn't, driving around with shot shocks is a bad deal period.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts