SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 T5 AWD V50 automatic 121k km

Vibration in the rear (right side?) like running over road strips in 4th and 5th gear (automatic) when low rpms (about 1500-1800) and a small amount of pressure on the accelerator. If I give it more gas, it goes away. If I coast down a hill at speeds where it would occur, there is no sound / vibration. I don't feel this any other time, other gears, same RPM. Have taken to two shops, neither can replicate but every time I drive it happens so I switch to manual mode to downshift and get RPMs up a bit. Would rather not do this!

I read about shaking caused by CV joints, however this seems more of a transmission issue? Wheels have been rotated and balanced.

I don't want to surmise what the issues are, but will leave that to my expert forum members!

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi,

I have a V50 T5 AWD manual and experience the same kind off vibration. My shop told me it's nothing to worry about, but I indeed switch to a lower gear to get into higher RPMs. I found out via my OBD port and DashCommand that my boost peaks during those moments (24/25 PSI). I think it could be some sort of blow-off situation where my car blows excess air via the downpipe and therefore my downpipe rumbles which causes the vibration. It sounds far-fetched, but that is the only thin I can think of.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
This sounds pretty normal to me. I think at that low of an rpm, the engine just bogs a little when you're giving it just that little bit of gas. I wouldn't be concerned about it. Even manual transmission cars do that.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
welcome to the PARTY!!! No fix for this i've heard... mounts, FPS, TCV.
Im told its Torque Converter Lockup. Dont know why it makes so much noise.. its very annoying. Doesnt happen in manual mode. For some reason its especially bad in the snow, the increased drag from the snow ends up making my car bog down and settle in that RPM you mentioned and tQ Converter locks up,, but in the snow that causes me the car to slow down so its really annoying,

·
Registered
245 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts