SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this tread for a colleague. He own a very nice 2005 S40 T5 AWD, 6 speed manual with 130 000km's on it, fully loaded. Today while we were on a job he got a call from the boss saying his car in the office parking lot was acting weird. His headlight, flasher, tail lights turned ON by themself. When we got there a couple hours later the battery was flat so we used our work truck to give it a boost. It started and ran just fine except that none of the electronic in the car worked, the dashboard was off and pitch black, no light, no radio, no windows, no locks, no heating, no heated seats, no cruise control, when I say nothing I mean absolutely NOTHING. Not a single LED lit up in the car. We took it on a test drive and the transmission wouldn't let us go past fourth gear. It was stuck and beeping when we were trying to engage fifth or sixth. We drove it home and now it is completely dead. The battery is at about 12.8 volts, we tried giving it a boost again but nothing happens, no starter solenoid click, absolutely nothing. It is sitting in my driveway right now, he's gonna get it towed tomorrow if we can't get it to start again.

Any ideas of what is happening? I've never experienced anything like that before and i've owned BMW's and VW's so I've had my fair share of electrical problems lol.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Get a new battery? That's where I'd start.. And check all the fuses.

Also, if you have a standard multimeter you could drop test the battery. Checking the voltage alone isn't enough to accurately gauge it's health.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
+1, get a new battery

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everything is clean and tight, the battery was replaced a year ago and it received a full charge last night. I just checked the voltage after the car sat for about 24 hours and there is 5 volts left in it... Is it possible that it had gone bad in just a year?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I had a defective battery in my audi that was under a year old that almost made me change the alternator. Dropping to 5 volts could mean there's something draining it or its defective. Have you drop tested it yet? That's a good way to gauge it's overall health.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts