SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned of this forum by doing a search for Volvo and strong smell. I was shocked and confused to experience the smell in my new Volvo. Especially considering the “noses”. The noses were my selling point as to why I purchased a Volvo over other options and now I am confused. Do the noses find the strong smells this car emits as pleasant? I was expecting to find no new car smell. I have rented cars for the past ten years and many of them have had five miles on them and I have a very sensitive sense of smell and can confirm not all cars have a strong new car smell.
I am not the first in this forum to report a strong new car smell. Have I misunderstood the role of the “noses”?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not sure what you mean by ‘noses’. Some of the intensity increase could be attributed to the switch to non-leather (aka vinyl) surfaces in much of the interior. Those would inherently have more offgasing than leather.

Reactions: kyngofpop

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every new car we've owned (quite a few over the years) has had the new car smell.
It goes away w time. I like it but I bet its irritating if you don't.
What brand new cars? I’ve driven new cars without new car smell.
beyond that volvo markets themselves as vetting strong unpleasant new car smell. That is the point I am making.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Volvo hires people solely for their noses together out strong smelling materials.
no switch to vinyl. This is new leather. I’ve driven Mercedes and VW Tiguan both with 5 miles to start and both with vinyl seats with no new smell
It will go away, like they all do.
Our 2022 XC60 had little or no odor when brand new, and certainly has none now two months after. Leather seating, if that matters.
2022 2 months ago?

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
That didn’t answer my question nor address Volvos marketing
Was more of a complaint than a question. Smell is subjective. And I wonder if the "noses" are still around. The only thing I found about it was from 14 years ago. Granted I only spent 20 seconds Googling it so there could be more info out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What brand new cars? I’ve driven new cars without new car smell.
beyond that volvo markets themselves as vetting strong unpleasant new car smell. That is the point I am making.
I don't remember if my 2011 C30 had new car smell or not. I'm assuming it did or I would have thought it odd.
In any case, hope you work the smell problem out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
after shopping many different brands I ultimately landed on Volvo for the lack of the new car smell. 2019 s60 R design.leather. It was shocking how neutral the smell was compared to other brands.
maybe it’s the vegan leather. Damn vegans.
park it in the sun to accelerate the off gassing. Use the unlock from remote to engage the cabin blower.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,812 Posts
after shopping many different brands I ultimately landed on Volvo for the lack of the new car smell. 2019 s60 R design.leather. It was shocking how neutral the smell was compared to other brands.
park it in the sun to accelerate the off gassing. Use the unlock from remote to engage the cabin blower.
The 2019 does not have vegan leather lol

Reactions: spiked60

·
Registered
544 Posts
Does the new car smell really irritate ppl this much?? I thought that was one of the reason for buying a new car lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,812 Posts
Yep sure does Irritate. Cause headaches too. Off gassing materials are full of nasty chemicals that humans have no business inhaling.
That's why Volvo has new cars ventilating themselves automatically several thousand miles/months into ownership. You might want to check to see if it's working.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's why Volvo has new cars ventilating themselves automatically several thousand miles/months into ownership. You might want to check to see if it's working.
Yes it is working. My car has no odd odors. My comment about vegan leather / odors was in response to the OP’s complaint. My Volvo is wonderful except the crappy brakes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts