SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may know that I had my GT tranny replaced at 14,000 in my 05 S60R. I now have about 20,000 miles ... and ever since the tranny was swapped, there's been this very, very strange and elusive sound that is very intermittant.<p>It sounds like some form of harmonic resonance ... I can almost just hum the exact pitch. It is usually faint such that it's hard to pick up from just regular tire noise, but at its loudest I can even feel the resonance through the steering wheel, and I when it does decide to get loud, I can feel some form of drag on the drive train, almost like I was very softly applying the brakes. It's almost like a really bad brake pad chatter or harmonic resonance, but it only happens under normal driving conditions, i.e., it goes away if I apply the brakes.<p>It's a sound that doesn't appear to be directly coupled to speed ... it can come and go at a variety of speeds and it doesn't change pitch or amplitude with speed. It has no 'rotational' element, i.e., a pulse or modulation. I can be driving 70 MPH and faintly hear it. I can be crusing along at 35 MPH and it will be very faint, then sometimes get very loud, then get faint again ... all without changing speed or direction. I've heard it for several seconds just pulling away from a full stop, or rolling through a parking lot at 5 MPH. <p>It's not constant, but over the course of a day I'll hear it usually 3-4 times. When it does get very loud, it has no connection to anything I'm doing while driving ... I can just be coasting along at 30 MPH and not change speed, direction, or touch the brakes and it will just suddenly get loud and send a resonant vibration through the entire body of the car such that you can feel it, then a few seconds later go away.<p>It never appears while under hard acceleration or when applying the brakes ... it's usually detectable only while cruising/coasting at a constant speed. Speed has no effect on the pitch of the sound/resonance ... it's the same sound at 5 MPH that it is at 70 MPH.<p>I took it back to Shelley Volvo ... took a long drive with them where it was faint and only got to a medium amplitude once or twice. They couldn't diagnose it, but added some o-rings to the sub-frame, re-torqued everything, and I had my brake pads replaced as they were getting thin.<p>Since then, I still hear the sound occasionally but not as frequently ... the other day just rolling at 2-3 MPH through a parking lot it just appeared and shook the whole car, then just as fast went away. The Shelley service manager called yesterday to say he is just experiencing something similar in his personal 05 S60R ... they're working on his, and he'll call me back with the results with some recommendations on what to do next with mine.<p>This is really wierd.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by dawghouse at 8:31 AM 7-21-2006</i>

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Re: Very strange sound (dawghouse)

that is wierd, I have no insights/suggestions<p>you do at least seem to have a good dealer though

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It happened again last night while cruising through a parking lot ... and it showed a new twist: I could get it to happen repeatedly if I was turning to the right. So, I went and found an empty area of the parking lot and started driving in clockwise circles. I could get it to happen on most of the turns ... and if I touched the brakes while in the turn it immediately went away.<p>Same sound as before ... but with new brake pads. The loudness or pitch of the sound didn't have anything to do with speed. It's just like some form of harmonic vibration gets set up, has a constant pitch regardless of speed ... and then just decides to get louder or softer in amplitude. I can hear it very faintly driving straight ahead, and turning to the right helped it vibrate more and louder. At it's loudest it resonates through the entire car ... I can feel it in the steering wheel, in the seat, etc.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

Wheel bearing?<p>Your note that it happens continously when turning in one direction leads me to believe that it could be a wheel bearing. And if it's vibrating the whole car, sounds like it's shot badly.<p>I had mine go at about 28,000 miles. Groaning / grinding noise, no frequency change but amplitude change as you turned. <p>Have them check it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Very strange sound (needsdecaf)

Yeah, a wheel bearing was my first thought ... the odd thing is that it isn't constant. It comes and goes. I've had wheel bearings fail in other cars and it was usually a constant sound that got progressively worse and worse over time. In this case, sometimes it's not there at all for days ... then it will appear as a low pitched hum that's hardly discernable from tire/road noise, then just jump up and get loud and vibrate everything.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>dawghouse</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, a wheel bearing was my first thought ... the odd thing is that it isn't constant. It comes and goes. I've had wheel bearings fail in other cars and it was usually a constant sound that got progressively worse and worse over time. In this case, sometimes it's not there at all for days ... then it will appear as a low pitched hum that's hardly discernable from tire/road noise, then just jump up and get loud and vibrate everything.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Hmm, my wheel bearing was always there, but it was MUCH louder when turning to the right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts