SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Those of you following my threads may have heard about the recent engine swap in my 04 XC90 T6.
The problem which left me stranded today was a random stall, I pulled over and was unable to start her back!

I tried using a fully charged battery bought from a store nearby (900CCA) and I got about a quarter turn of the crank.
I tried jumping from the battery end and from the point in the engine bay. It's behaving as though the battery is dead, but I have tried with the original battery, a spare fully charged and a fully charged and tested battery from the store. Never got more than a quarter/half turn on the crank - hoping it's not seized.

So background on how I got there. I left home with a slight misfire, sounded like one coilpack went out. It's a couple miles to the highway from my house then 15 miles later I exit the highway. The next set of lights is red so I'm coasting, lights go green, foot on gas and after getting no response I see the engine has stall. Something weird which was happening maybe 12 miles into my journey was the CD player was clicking (like when you connect up a battery) , the A/C seemed to go completely dead (no fans) then returned but wasn't ice cold as normal, and the steering felt slightly heavier than usual.

I check the belt and it's tensioned, don't think it was slipping. ONE problem which may or may not be related, when we pulled over and checked the alternator +ve wire it was loose....

Anyway, since tightening the alternator and trying various batteries, still won't crank over one full cycle. The terminals on the starter get very hot after a few tries and there was some smoke. Could the engine be seized, could one of the ancillaries be seized?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brad

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also I forgot to mention, the car appeared to get harder each time to start. For example, yesterday I tried to start and the motor clicked. We assumed the battery was dodgy, swapped it and she fired right up, although cranked a bit slower than normal.
Another weird thing is I now have a random message for 'Anti-Skid temporarily disabled' which was not there before today....

EDIT: She has always felt a bit stiff to start ever since the new engine went in, can't comment on the previous engine startup as we ran it once and I don't remember how it started. She has about 197000 miles

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a while working on this car.
When we had tools with us, we tried to hand crank the engine forward, it stopped, mechanically like valves hit piston or something similar.
After turning the crank backwards, it was then weirdly able to turn forward again. We thought maybe timing went out and we bent valves.

We then tried to start and it started with lots of noise and then one tap/knock remained - so we began stripping it down.
Head removed, all valves removed, nothing unusual found so we put it all back together, checked timing many many times, started it and got the same knocking sound.

Now, we've noticed the sound appears louder under the engine, we're thinking a spun bottom end bearing, maybe a rod bearing.
Here's a video of what it sounds like at the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTlBpw3jyRU&feature=youtu.be

1 - 4 of 4 Posts