SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I just put my wife's winter wheels/tires on this weekend. This is the second season with them, last winter I noticed one tire would lose air pretty slowly (a few pounds a week). Before installing this weekend, I had the shop balance them and check the one tire for leaks. They said they couldn't see any visual leaks, so they replaced the valve stem and remounted it, thinking it could have been a bad bead seal. Well, it's still leaking, but faster. I am now losing maybe 2 pounds a day!

The tires are Michelin Ice X and I don't want to buy a new tire, $$ and the others are maybe 1/2 worn.

What should I do? Try another tire place? What about using a small amount of tire sealant, with the hope it will catch the leak. I know it's supposed to be temporary, and that a full can will throw it out of balance, but...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
take off all 5 lug nuts with the car on jack stands...inflate the tire to the spec. PSI (35-40psi)....use a spray bottle with simple green or soap and water and spray the valve stem with the cap off, then spray all around the lip of the wheel (bead) if no bubbles occur then start spraying the tread width of the tire, again if no bubbles occur spray down the inner edge....if there is air escaping bubbles will accumulate and you have found your leak....possibly a leaking valve stem or a small nail/screw....GOODLUCK

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
take off all 5 lug nuts with the car on jack stands...inflate the tire to the spec. PSI (35-40psi)....use a spray bottle with simple green or soap and water and spray the valve stem with the cap off, then spray all around the lip of the wheel (bead) if no bubbles occur then start spraying the tread width of the tire, again if no bubbles occur spray down the inner edge....if there is air escaping bubbles will accumulate and you have found your leak....possibly a leaking valve stem or a small nail/screw....GOODLUCK
Thanks wrenching781! I didn't really want to put so much effort into finding this leak, but I may end up spraying it down. What will irk me is if I find a leak around the bead or stem since they just put a new one in and re-mounted it!

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
+1 Perfect guide. Make sure you have the water good & soapy. Take your time & inspect slowly & surely. You should have no problem finding a 2lb a day leak with this method.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have seen them leak - through Porosity or Weeping , but that's usually a very Old Mag .

Most likely a Scrap - Burr - on the Bead . Use heavy soap ( Dish Soap - blows the best Bubbles - Joy )

·
Registered
379 Posts
Get the leaking tire busted off the rim and have them clean the rim and remount/balance and guarantee that it won't leak via the rim. Would hurt to change the valve stems either. I use Sears for all of my tire issues and haven't had any problems at all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just had the exact same problem on my wife's car..Ended up being a hairline crack on the inside of the rim at the bead..Just a thought. Rich

·
Registered
989 Posts
If all else fails, try a can of FiX a Flat until you can properly address the issue. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn! Found it! Thanks guys, now hopefully the shop will properly fix it this time...

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Good job Logan

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, thanks Jack. I should work at a shop - how they didn't find it ticks me off. I think they were being lazy. Oh well, they'll make it right...

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
yeah... i would avoid that shop.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually it's the VW dealer I always go to for tire work/inspections. I have one of the techs who is awesome with my wheels, but since these were the wife's winters, I didn't ask for him the fist time around. Guess tomorrow I will make sure he fixes it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Yup, show em that pic and say that your shop guys just "re-mounted" the tire (yeah, right) and see what they have to say. I'd be so pissed that I had to do their job for em, that I would make them pay me.
Seriously, make em give you a discount for a future tire service. Shops make me angry.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, show em that pic and say that your shop guys just "re-mounted" the tire (yeah, right) and see what they have to say. I'd be so pissed that I had to do their job for em, that I would make them pay me.
Seriously, make em give you a discount for a future tire service. Shops make me angry.
Yeah, I dropped it off yesterday and basically said "your man was being lazy, so I found the leak myself." I'll grab it today, and am not expecting a bill, especially since they didn't get to it yesterday.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Not, "I don't expect a bill," but "what are you guys going to do to make it right?"
You did the work that you paid them to do, right? So are they going to refund you? Am I wrong???
Seriously, being a mechanic, nothing makes me angrier than shops ripping people off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts