SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been tracking this for a while, posted earlier, but didn't have the error code..
THIS CODE is from the IPD software NOT VADIS...

ECM-400c Fuel Tank System Leakage.

Here in Wilmington, we have 93 octane, EtOH free gas. i get this code when 1) I have been running EtOH free fuel and then switch to EtOH enriched fuel AND visa versa... I usually run down to close to empty, then re-fuel.

Initially, I thought that this code meant a lose gas cap/bad cap seal. The shop guys say that this code through VADIS indicates an issue w/ the catalytic converter. (IPD downpipe/racing Cat.)

This code kicks out almost 100% of the time when i switch fuels...... sometimes it will the code will go away by itself, but usually i have to reset it...

Any Ideas????

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
ECM-400c is the code for low catalytic converter efficiency not fuel tank system leakage. Are you sure it's not ECM-430c (fuel tank cap missing)?

Have you tried installing an oxygen sensor spacer on the rear oxygen sensor?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the code in red is exactly as it reads from the IPD softloader software.....as I mentioned, the IPD software reads differently than the VADIS.....
I have not tried a spacer.....what does that do?
and thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
sounds like an excuse for a new downpipe with a sport cat to me.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
the code in red is exactly as it reads from the IPD softloader software.....as I mentioned, the IPD software reads differently than the VADIS.....
I have not tried a spacer.....what does that do?
and thanks for the feedback!
The spacer pulls the sensor slightly further away so that it won't read it too directly, thus appearing that the high flow cat (or if no cat) is still within the ECM/ECU's spec range of acceptance. I recommend a 90degree O2 sensor placed at the rear most port on the downpipe.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I don't recommend this as a long term fix but you can pull the rear o2 on most cars and wrap in tin foil and leave it plugged in. This should tell you if it is an o2 sensor problem from the aftermarket exhaust parts.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
So, this code is one of the codes under Volvo's P45 extended warranty program. Take it to the dealer and they will give you an ECM download to fix this issue at no charge (provided you're still under the extended warranty conditions). The issue stems from the algorithm the software uses to "age" the detection system over time. Excerpt from the letter I received from volvo back in 2008.

"Your vehicle performs a test to determine if fuel tank vapors are escaping into the atmosphere. Under certain circumstances, the test may falsely set the Check Engine light and store one of the following codes in your vehicle's memory: ECM-400C, ECM-434C, ECM-4308 or ECM-p04420."

The extended warranty is for 10 years or 120,000 miles, you can even get a refund for this if you've paid for this ECM download AND you're still under 120,000 miles.

Cheers.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
*facepalm* your car has Alzheimers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts