SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just recently bought a 2002 V70, 166K miles, no turbo. So far, I'm enjoying it a lot, and have already done a couple cosmetic modifcations. I plastidipped the trim all around the car as it was all faded, almost white. I also painted the wheels gloss black and removed the trailer hitch. I also already have the prancing moose badges :) For the record, my plan isn't to make this a show car or I wouldn't be messing with plastidip lol. This is my winter car/DD. The car does have a few problems, some I'm concerned about, some I don't care about. For example, the seats are cracked, shift boot needs replaced, and there's a couple dents/scratches here and there. Those I don't care about. For the ones I care about, I've been searching volvo forums for solutions but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for in order to fix the specific problems pertaining to my car. What I do care about and what I would appreciate input on are the following:

1. The car has a recently rebuilt/possibly new transmission. Before it was sold to me, the previous owner took his car in to Conrad's to get his tires rotated, and they ended up putting in new transmission fluid. After he got the car back, the transmission was destroyed and Conrad's replaced the transmission free of charge, which I wouldn't have believed if the previous owner didn't give me the papers/receipts from Conrad's saying so.

Should I ever change the transmission fluid? I know Volvo says now, as do a lot of other people on Volvo forums, but there's also a lot of people who say that it SHOULD be changed. It runs nicely now, except sometimes when I'm coasting at a constant speed, I'll feel a slight vibration at low RPMs, almost like the car should be downshifting but instead it will stay at about 1600 RPM in whatever gear it's in.

2. I'm having major problems with the sunroof. Thankfully, there's no leaks. The vent opens up just fine, and I can hear the motors working. But, the sunroof itself won't open. If I try to open the sunroof all the way, it will start to go back about an inch and then it stops, making a very loud banging/grinding noise. Now, I do have the "Alarm Service Required" code on my car which I know can be a common problem for sunroofs not working, but I don't think that is the case for mine as it isn't locked and it's not like it won't move at all. The vent position still works fine.

3. What's the cheapest, but still reliable, way to lift these cars? I intend on this being primarily used in the snow and here in NE Ohio, we can get well over a foot and I live in a rural area where many roads aren't plowed. So far, the only thing I've found are badswede springs, which I like the look of a lot. But they're a bit out of my price range at the moment. Not that I'm a major cheap ass, but I paid $1600 for this car just to get me through the next couple winters so I don't need anything top of the line/more expensive than what I paid for the actual car lol.

Thank you for any input and I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I'm not the greatest at searching through forums.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
3. I've yet to see evidence that anyone has done this on the forum, but it seems that a 3/4"-1" HDPE spacer lift + 215/70r16s or 225/70r16s would be the most affordable way to gain a couple inches of height. In theory it should be quite simple if you have access to a CNC machine (or shop) and are proficient in basic 3d modeling software. Bunch of companies do this for subaru and charge between 100-300 for their "kits". You could do this for 20 bucks in material if you were willing to invest some time and effort in development.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Should I ever change the transmission fluid?
Every 30k miles with J3309 or T-IV compliant fluid filled to the correct level.

It runs nicely now, except sometimes when I'm coasting at a constant speed, I'll feel a slight vibration at low RPMs
Engine mounts, bushing, axles, tires.

What's the cheapest, but still reliable, way to lift these cars?
Sell the car and get a XC70.

Just joking.

XC70 springs, larger tires, custom HDPE spacers made from cutting boards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts