SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my last regular service my software was updated (this was in April, and I have noticed an update was done by discovering that the Volvo cloud connection indicator now disappears rather than changes to a crossed one when there is no connection, which is great BTW).

After this I am experiencing occasional but extremely loud feedback at the end of some phone calls, mostly happening when the other side hangs up first.

It is so loud that I am really afraid it could damage my hearing.

Does anyone else experience this ? It never happened to me before this April service.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have now noticed someone else opened a similar thread here before, so at least I am not the only one.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do not know, I only use one phone.
But I use the same phone for a long time, and it never happened before the upgrade.
But the phone does update itself as well, so it may be the cause as well, that is why I am asking if someone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Try this from another post.

Quote from the post:
Update: At the time of this problem I was having a hard time hearing my cell phone in the car through the infotainment system so the car volume was nearly maxed. I recently discovered that for some reason my cell phone volume was turned most of the way down (I normally use a Bluetooth headset outside the car and the iPhone has independent volume for that as opposed to the built in speaker). Turns out that the volume on the phone and the volume of the infotainment system are not independent as I expected. So the feedback screech appears to have been because the car volume was so high. Right now I have the phone at a more normal volume and thus the car is at a more normal volume and no screech at the end of calls. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
mgr... I guess I may have been the guy who started the other post you referred to. My problem lasted a couple of days then mysteriously fixed itself... almost. Yesterday there was a squeal when ending one call - thankfully not the ear-drum-bursting feedback howl I originally experienced, but present enough to make we wonder if the problem is still lurking and ready to pounce again. To me this isn't (or shouldn't) be an issue with phone vs infotainment volume settings as it never happens on any other manufacture's car I've driven (lots of biz trip rentals), so must be caused by the latest Volvo software update. How to we submit a 'bug' notification to Volvo?

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
A bulletin has been released for this in the US.

The root cause has been found and improved IHU software is scheduled to be released in December 2019. The TJ will be updated when it is available.

Decreasing the phone volume below 80% will reducd the appearance of this symptom.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mgr... I guess I may have been the guy who started the other post you referred to. My problem lasted a couple of days then mysteriously fixed itself... almost. Yesterday there was a squeal when ending one call - thankfully not the ear-drum-bursting feedback howl I originally experienced, but present enough to make we wonder if the problem is still lurking and ready to pounce again. To me this isn't (or shouldn't) be an issue with phone vs infotainment volume settings as it never happens on any other manufacture's car I've driven (lots of biz trip rentals), so must be caused by the latest Volvo software update. How to we submit a 'bug' notification to Volvo?
Yes, I also believe it was caused by the software update, probably the October 2018 one.
It happened again yesterday, my ears still hurt today :-(
Submitting a bug notification to Volvo is problematic, in my country the only way is through the importer, but there is no feedback from them whatsoever.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
A bulletin has been released for this in the US.

The root cause has been found and improved IHU software is scheduled to be released in December 2019. The TJ will be updated when it is available.

Decreasing the phone volume below 80% will reducd the appearance of this symptom.
It is good to hear Volvo is aware of this, but it is strange they plan to release the fix in December. Until than someone's hearing can be really damaged. :-(
I never have the Phone volume maxed, and the feedback is still horribly loud.

EDIT: For the reference, the related TJ number is TJ34948.1.0-2019-07-29, and it includes the sound sample, so you can hear what is going on here:

https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index...948.mp3&hash=F5F0DAF6A580EEF69473C95C948B2CF0

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I posted a video in there of the described problem if anyone was wondering what is happening to those of us with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both links to video you have posted are reported as not available by YouTube now...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same Bluetooth feedback issue in XC 90

I've been experiencing this insanely loud feedback issue for months now. My service rep at my local Volvo tells me he was in training last week and they are indeed working on a software update for it. It cannot come fast enough IMO - and I'd be shocked if there are not people suffering ear damage and possibly suing - it's THAT loud.

For now I can add a couple of notes for those having the issue - in case it helps anyone....

Lower your volumes - I do *think it is worst when the volume is all the way up on the car. I have noticed there IS still feedback but it's less ear splitting when the volume is lowered.

I have not noticed if it's related to phone volume being all the way up.

It may be occurring with ANY bluetooth phone usage, ie, Siri or calls.

I'm unwilling to test it as I am afraid to damage my ears.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know if everyone is experiencing the same volume but I recently switched from an iPhone to Android and even though it still happens it's doing it a lot less and the volume of the feedback is much lower. I have to go for service in 2 weeks and was hoping they'd have the fix by then.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was just coming online to post about this very topic... I'm surprised my eardrums aren't bleeding after this just happening 5 min ago!!! My ears are still ringing and in pain! It's happened probably 5 times before, and now that I read the above posts, does seem to be related to the other person hanging up first. My volume on my phone wasn't maxed out, but I've lowered it anyway to see if it'll help.

I agree this fix couldn't come soon enough, this decibel level is absolutely dangerous for hearing and I wouldn't be surprised to see a class-action lawsuit.:mad:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts