SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it appears that the 2007+ Ford Focus bushing kits have the same dimensions as the 04+ P1 chassis. Well, instead of $800 for a set we can have most of the bushings for about $100. Has anyone purchased the Ford parts and given this a try? I'm thinking of giving it a shot. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone confirm if the Ford version of the P1 platform is indeed the same at the suspension tie points? I personally looked at an 07 focus and the hardware looks identical. This is a HUGE savings if so.

BTW anyone buying this should avoid installing the bump stops. Those are tuned suspension components.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the Ford version of the P1 platform is indeed the same at the suspension tie points? I personally looked at an 07 focus and the hardware looks identical. This is a HUGE savings if so.
Can't definitively confirm, but I'm 90% sure it is....Lots of other part number cross reference to both cars. Do it!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would but, the problem is this is not a full kit. Since I already replaced all of the control arms.... if im going to do it , I want ALL of the bushings in the entire car replaced.

I did find a full kit for 300 (again way cheaper than volvo) but there are apparently two bolt bolt sizes for the front wishbone. Ill need to confirm that the other P1 models are a match.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Edit: found a full set that includes all bushings except the chassis trailing arm connection for $169 shipped. I contacted the manufacturer and requested the bolt size for the front control arm bushings. Once I hear back I may jump in if I can get these here before my coilovers arrive.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, so here is what I have so far:

Ford Focus,
Front control arm forward bushing - compatible confirm bolt size
Front control arm rear bushing - compatible
Rear trailing arm chassis bushing - compatible
Rear control arm bushings - ?
Rear toe blade - compatible
Rear roll bar end link - different, cheaper design but likely compatible
Upper camber arm bushing - compatible
Front sway bar bushing - need OE volvo diameter to confirm
Rear sway bar bushing - need OE volvo diameter to confirm
Rear bump stop - compatible
Front bump stop - compatible

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Ok, so here is what I have so far:

Ford Focus,
Front control arm forward bushing - compatible confirm bolt size
Front control arm rear bushing - compatible
Rear trailing arm chassis bushing - compatible
Rear control arm bushings - ?
Rear toe blade - ?
Rear roll bar end link - different, cheaper design but likely compatible
Upper camber arm bushing - compatible
Front sway bar bushing - need OE volvo diameter to confirm
Rear sway bar bushing - need OE volvo diameter to confirm
Rear bump stop - compatible
Front bump stop - compatible
I can give you RSB bushing dimensions when I get home. I have a 21mm OEM bar just laying around.

Also, you might wanna check out Prothane bushings. I got a set (with brackets included) for $17.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I figured if I am going to have the entire suspension apart anyway for the coilovers so I may as well try it out. Snagged this set (2006 FOCUS). It appears there may be one bushing missing for the other end of the trailing arm. But a fairly complete set. Ill be able to sell the end links and maybe the bump stops and the rear stock size poly bushings.... if anyone wants the upgraded stuff for the stock suspension parts.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well, I figured if I am going to have the entire suspension apart anyway for the coilovers so I may as well try it out. Snagged this set (2006 FOCUS). It appears there may be one bushing missing for the other end of the trailing arm. But a fairly complete set. Ill be able to sell the end links and maybe the bump stops and the rear stock size poly bushings.... if anyone wants the upgraded stuff for the stock suspension parts.

All I want is plenty of pics and info on how everything works, the worst thing you can do when experimenting like this is not document stuff lol.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, there is still a good chance that something wont fit. I will document success or failure. Ill take photos of everything. I think its sad that "performance" companies take advantage of volvo owners. The goal with all my on the cheap DIY upgrades is to show it can be affordable to mod the P1. After all, this is a very cheap platform to start with these days.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I think its sad that "performance" companies take advantage of volvo owners.
It's not that they're taking advantage of us Volvo owners, it's about the cost margins.

Make a front lip for a Honda and you'll sell millions of them, therefore, they can be sold dirt cheap and still make a profit.
Make a front lip for a Volvo, and you'll be lucky to sell a few hundred. They have to mark them up in price just to cover the costs of design and materials. Especially with it costing over $70k for some of these ABS molds.

It also falls on the competition. The Volvo performance market is so small, there's not much competition to drive prices down.

Admittedly, there are better deals for many suspension components from other C1 cars. But the parts being offered for Volvos are slightly different to accommodate the difference in weight and expected comfort. That being said, most of us enthusiasts are willing to sacrifice a little comfort if it means saving a few hundred dollars. Besides, a new cheap mount will already feel better than a worn expensive mount.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I can appreciate things like ABS plastic. But, bushings are a perfect example. There are literally thousands of part numbers the "kits" are just groups of part numbers thrown in the same box. It costs no more to make or sell them once the dimensions are known. Charging $700+ for a bushing set is robbery. And of course the volumes are low with prices like that. The brake calipers are another example. These are Ford parts but if you pull up the caliper under Volvo it will be 30% more.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Go for it as most bushes will swap just fine. You might hit a slight snag on rear suspension if bolt diameters in camber arms are different between the ford and volvo. The ones that don't fit you could resell on ebay for cheap. You may find differences in rear camber arm bolt sizes. Ford offered their bolts as a 6 pack, I remember length being off, but any dealer should gladly cross check bolt specs if that worries you. I was trying to cheap out on Volvo bolts and ended up going with volvo bolts for rear suspension, the lower rear shock and the camber arms. $75 of steel piping and polyurethane isn't worth that kind of a markup by a performance product company.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go for it as most bushes will swap just fine. You might hit a slight snag on rear suspension if bolt diameters in camber arms are different between the ford and volvo. The ones that don't fit you could resell on ebay for cheap. You may find differences in rear camber arm bolt sizes. Ford offered their bolts as a 6 pack, I remember length being off, but any dealer should gladly cross check bolt specs if that worries you. I was trying to cheap out on Volvo bolts and ended up going with volvo bolts for rear suspension, the lower rear shock and the camber arms. $75 of steel piping and polyurethane isn't worth that kind of a markup by a performance product company.
I'm guessing you are saying some of the Ford bushings may be for a smaller diameter bolt. That would be ok I suppose, I would just need to pick up some smaller bolts and cheap sleeve washers. On the other end if the ford bushings are for bigger bolts, I can just fabricate some cheap sleeves to insert into the center of the bushing. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Confirmed! 2000-2006 Ford Focus USA bushing set fits 2006 V50. Just pressed the questionable rear swing arm bushings in and checked all bolt sizes. That was a BIG savings! Ill get some pics when its on the alignment rack. The knly ones not yet 100% confirmed are the rear in er swing arm bushings. Cant check those until my replacement bolts come in but the bolt hole size is correct. I expect no issues.

Cheers!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Confirmed! 2000-2006 Ford Focus USA bushing set fits 2006 V50. Just pressed the questionable rear swing arm bushings in and checked all bolt sizes. That was a BIG savings! Ill get some pics when its on the alignment rack. The knly ones not yet 100% confirmed are the rear in er swing arm bushings. Cant check those until my replacement bolts come in but the bolt hole size is correct. I expect no issues.

Cheers!
Excellent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts