SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, however for the last several months were reading your helpful post/replies on various subjects.

We are planning to replace my wife’s 20-year old RX300 Admiral Edition and among all other SUVs selected XC60 AWD. We were thinking even to go with OSD or place the order on what we want in US.

However, I am really puzzled why there so few of them on the road. We live in the Bay Area CA, where there is no lack of luxury or expensive cars on the road but during the entire week of one hour commute twice a day I barely see one XC60 on the road. There are probably hundreds of RXs, Q5s, X3s, GLEs and CLCs, even Land Rovers, but no Volvos.

I think XC 60 is the most classy and beautiful looking cars in its class, so why it is so few of them in our expensive area?

I would appreciate if you can share your opinion. What is your take on it? Is it car reliability issue for the price, or lack of dealerships or what?

·
Registered
142 Posts
In my bit of Ontario I see plenty of XC90s of various ages but very few XC60s. Like your area Audi, MB and BMW SUVs and CUVs are like cockroaches.
Don’t know why, the local dealer is long established but certainly did nearly disappear when Ford owned Volvo. Now the dealer has a new showroom and workshop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
We’re from the SF Bay Area as well, and you can definitely see Volvos and XC60 around, although not as many as XC90 or not nearly as many as other European brands. I have noticed they are more rare in the east bay compared to the peninsula... Are you also on the east bay by any chance?

Geoff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We’re from the SF Bay Area as well, and you can definitely see Volvos and XC60 around, although not as many as XC90 or not nearly as many as other European brands. I have noticed they are more rare in the east bay compared to the peninsula... Are you also on the east bay by any chance?

Geoff
I am right in the middle of Peninsula in Belmont

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
This is still the second year for the new model. More will show up in third and fourth year.
I see some XC60's late this year in my area, while XC90 is very easy to find now, several times a day when I wait at traffic light.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This is still the second year for the new model. More will show up in third and fourth year.
I see some XC60's late this year in my area, while XC90 is very easy to find now, several times a day when I wait at traffic light.
Sales results in the US market do not indicate this for the Volvo XC60. The first 9 months of 2019 are worse sales than the 9 months of 2018

These are sales results in the US market.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in Berkeley and don't do a lot of driving, but I do see XC60's (almost every time I hit the highways.) I have an XC40 and have only seen two of those in the last year. I visit Orange County frequently and noted that I never see XC40's there, but then realized I don't see Volvos of any kind down there. All completely anecdotal, of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigBang, thank you. Really interesting statistics that could explain the lack of XC60s, but still not clear why? Each of its competition has some really visible concerns: X3 does not have a spare tire (with special order you could get it sacrificing 3 " in the trunk), Q5 is bumpy, has really firm ride and is small for me (6'4"), GLC does not have a spare tire and no provision for the towing hitch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wonder if the Volvo still has a counter-culturalish vibe to it. I've mentioned my purchase of a Volvo to people and they all had this conception of the boxy, outside the mainstream car of olde, and are pretty surprised when I show them pix. Actually, that probably also explains why I see so many Volvos in Berkeley.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
BigBang, thank you. Really interesting statistics that could explain the lack of XC60s, but still not clear why? Each of its competition has some really visible concerns: X3 does not have a spare tire (with special order you could get it sacrificing 3 " in the trunk), Q5 is bumpy, has really firm ride and is small for me (6'4"), GLC does not have a spare tire and no provision for the towing hitch.
FYI: In the EU market in most countries spare tire is not standard equipment but is available at extra cost
I know about the US market is standard ( Volvo and Audi )

Volvo has the smallest cargo compartment in the class: 505 liters, others have 550 liters

With a spare wheel, that space is even smaller

·
Registered
57 Posts
I see lots of the previous generation XC60 over here in the East Bay. And I’ve been starting to see the newer model ones around too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I'm in Detroit where it's almost a crime to be seen in non-American cars.

I see new and old XC60s all the time.

New and old XC90s all the time.

Several XC40s on a regular basis.

It's just a perspective thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Live Palmdale/Lancaster california USA Ive seen two new xc90, three older xc90 and maybe 5 older xc60. I have xc60 2018 and have not yet seen another one in my city. Im kinda happy I have the only one in my city.:)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Come down south to Willow Glen in San Jose.... There are XC60 and XC90 everywhere you look. I'm the only V60 around here

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
337 Posts
I can understand why people aren’t buying the XC60. Right now, I’m shopping comparison between the X3 and a XC60 and believe it or not the BMW is the better bargain for me. These are some of my must have features....

Thigh support seats... BMW is standard... Volvo must purchase Inscription model
Adaptive suspension... BMW $1000... Volvo $1850
Trailer Hitch... BMW $550... Volvo $1650 (is this gold plated?)
6 sec O-60 acceleration... BMW is standard... Volvo must purchase the T6 model

Plus, I’ve been reading the BMW Xpost forums and apparently BMW dealers are willing to negotiate a little more than Volvo dealers. In the end, the BMW X3 is cheaper (and more fun to drive) for me. Your mileage may vary of course.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Osetleo, Mercedes does indeed have an option for a trailer hitch. It costs $575 compared to Volvo’s $1650.
I don't remember now but Volvo's is around $1.2k or so.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Osetleo, I am in the SF Bay Area as well. I do see SPA XC60s daily. I drive 40 miles, on the peninsula, per day, minimal for my commute ending in Santa Clara, I most often see T8s zipping by me in the High Occupancy/Carpool lane. As mentioned by others, I see a lot more SPA XC90s than XC60s. But one of the reasons I chose the XC60 was that I didn't see so many compared to the ubiquitous X3/X5s and Q3/Q5s in this area...both are very nice cars but so many here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
By the way, speaking of spare tire: We just picked up our T8 XC60 in Sweden and I was surprised to find out it doesn’t have a spare tire, but instead a tire repair kit 😕 The space is taken by parts for the air suspension.

Geoff

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
By the way, speaking of spare tire: We just picked up our T8 XC60 in Sweden and I was surprised to find out it doesn’t have a spare tire, but instead a tire repair kit The space is taken by parts for the air suspension.

Geoff
Congrats on the T8!

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

1 - 20 of 86 Posts