SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!

This is my first post to this forum, so please be nice since I haven't been in an online community in about 6 years. Fortunately, I have searched the forum for this issue and haven't found any related topics, so I hopefully won't get scolded for a "re-post" or whatever they're called now!

I have a 2007 Volvo S80 V8. I bought it about 2 months ago and have slowly been repairing many of the issues it has. One of the biggest aesthetically unpleasing parts are the driver and passenger seats. They're BADLY stained. I have the Sandstone Beige ventilated upholstery, which apparently can't be easily cleaned.

Has anyone had this issue before? Was there any precautions you took to clean them (being perforated)? My boss recommends that I use upholstery paint, but I couldn't disagree more!

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Is it actual staining or just dirt?

I've used mother's Leather cleaner and it's worked really well on my black vented leather. All that crusty black stuff in the wrinlkes has come out and the seats feel softer.

·
3,391 Posts
I also love the mothers foaming cleaner. I use it on my XC90 sandstone seats and it keeps them looking new.

That said, if they really are stained, you can have them dyed by a local tradesman who does this. There is usually at least one option in every area. I'd recommend checking with a local car dealership to see if they have a person they use. Most car dealers use this service often, and it will make the seats look new.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I also have the Soft Beige or Sandstone leather interior with ventilated seats. The effectiveness of leather cleaners really depends on what type of staining or discoloration you have. Think of the leather as three layers: the leather itself, the dye, and the finish.

Meguiar's and Mother's both make good leather cleaning products for removing dirt or grime on the finish. Other people have noted that ABSORB leathercare kit from IKEA furniture stores is the same as the Volvo leather care kit. These all include conditioners that protect the finish. However, they are not very effective on dye transfer from jeans that penetrates the finish, or if the dye and finish is worn or cracked. For these problems you need products specifically designed to restore each layer.

I like Leather Master products including their Soft Cleaner, Strong Cleaner and Dye Transfer Cleaner. You need to use them in combination with their Protection Cream or Vital Cream. These are available from Leatherworldtech.com. Or you can buy Leatherworld's own version of these products that costs a little less. The company specializes in leather upholstery and is well regarded by car builders and restorers.

If the dye on your seats is actually worn or cracked, then you need to re-dye the leather. It's not as expensive as it sounds but does require skill and several steps to do it yourself. Otherwise, hire a professional. The only place I know that carries the Volvo Soft Beige dye for our S80 is Leatherworld Tech because I sent them a sample which they matched perfectly. You can now request it as follows:

Color Name: Soft Beige
Color Code: V-71
Gloss: Low Gloss

You can order a complete recoloring kit with the basic supplies. Thoroughly cleaning the leather and removing the dirt and scuffing the old finish is very important. You'll also need to apply the dye in three coats to ensure it is even and will last. If you do it right and clean and protect it afterward, it will last nearly as long as the original color without cracking or discoloration.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
blindkarma: You seem to know your way around car leather. I did some research when I was going to clean my seats earlier this year and I got pretty much a completely different answer every time I asked a new person. Some even suggested using hard brushes and regular soaps and what not (which I later found out is something you should NOT do). I ended up getting the "Leather interior care" package from Leather Master (called "leather master car kit" on the instructions, contains one bottle labelled leather cleaner and one labelled protection cream) which got the seats a bit cleaner but as I recall the seats felt pretty much the same. No result on my jeans staining on my drivers seat.

First off: If I have jeans stains, that means the dye penetrated the seats finish and stained the seats finish? Because the leather master kit had no bite on it. Secondly, I heard some different things about how the finish on the seat works. Some said it pretty much sealed off the leather and dye meaning regular moisturizing creams you'd use on e.g a sofa would have no effect. Some claim the opposite. Not sure what the best is to use. I guess the leather master protection cream is a finish protection cream. Thirdly, some people seem to be going for a matte look of their leather. It does look like new but I can't help but to wonder if it puts a lot of stress/wear on the leather. Or am I just being too gentle when I'm cleaning it?

·
Registered
798 Posts
The problem with jeans stains is that dye transfer is a combination of leather wear, sweat, body oil and dirt. Jeans stains don't penetrate as deeply into newly protected leather, but are nearly impossible to remove from older leather that has lost its finish. After buying my used S80, I used the Dye Transfer Cleaner on the front passenger seat and the slight blueing came right off. I then added Protection Cream and it has remained clean ever since. However, that did not work on the driver's seat with darker blueing because the finish was worn. The stains penetrated deeper into the dye, so stronger cleaning just removed more dye. I had to re-dye the leather.

I believe the car care kit you bought is probably the "soft" cleaner and protection cream. The labeling is a bit confusing. When I inquired about the difference between the Soft and the Strong cleaner, I was told the only difference is the concentration. The Strong Cleaner was X-times stronger, but I don't remember how much. Neither are very effective on jeans or ink stains, only dirt and grime. Keep in mind every time you use either cleaner you are removing the protective finish so need to apply the protection cream afterward. If the finish is already worn or you clean too much you are actually removing the dye. At that point, the leather starts showing through and looks dirtier.

I think part of the confusion with advice is that people are using the wrong cleaners or wrong combination. Moreover, cleaning Black leather is different than Soft Beige leather due to discoloration. Black dye is darker than the leather underneath so will hide it, whereas Soft Beige is lighter and the old leather underneath begins to show through.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have the Volvo Leather Care Kit. I prefer my Mother's kit over the Volvo one.

You can also try using some Kiwi Saddle Soap. My friend was able to remove blue Jeans Stains from her leather purse using the saddle soap

·
Registered
798 Posts
No to saddle soap due to type of leather, tanning, waxes, PH, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts