SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

521 - 540 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I got the Volvo radiator from FCP Euro on Monday, but had other things going on. Started the replacement Wednesday afternoon but ran out of daylight and finished on Thursday morning. It was the first time I've done a radiator myself, but after watching videos I decided to try and take it out the top without using ramps/jacks. The FCP video used this method on an 850 Turbo and they moved a hard pipe to the side by loosening the connection to the throttle body. Unfortunately, on the V70R the hard pipe can't be accessed in the same way which means working around it. I was still able to take apart the stack to take it out in sections, but had to remove the fan from the shroud to do so in the allotted space. After completing this repair, I'd probably recommend taking everything out the bottom in a stack. The aligning of the bolts to along the edge to put things back together while it's in the car was a pain in the ass. But, fairly happy I didn't break anything other than the green plastic clips for the transmission fluid lines. They were pretty brittle and it was around $30 for a couple of new ones from the dealership, but I wasn't going to wait for an online order to save a couple dollars.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Car got a little less Swedish. I didn't see a date stamp, but I'm guessing this was the original radiator as it was stamped Sweden. (New Volvo radiator was marked "Made In Spain".) I'm guessing that just removing the debris that was sandwiched between things will help with engine temperatures.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Reservoir hoses. Top one is original from 1999 and doesn't have embedded threads like the new Volvo hose.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts

·
Registered
15,964 Posts
oh wow that cap is sketchyyyyyyyyyyyy get that replaced asap

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Looks like cap needs to be replaced, Do, I see cracks in it.
Yeppers that’s a crack.
oh wow that cap is sketchyyyyyyyyyyyy get that replaced asap

LOL, I owe kklepack a beer, although it appears that he/she wasn’t the only one that would’ve noticed.

I purchased the cap in the commented-on photo new, maybe 3 years ago. It replaced the one that was present when I bought the car as that one had small cracks in the top that bubbled under pressure. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that an aftermarket cap didn’t last, but I apparently wasn’t looking that closely, or I would have noticed.

That said, I did a drain and fill with distilled water 3 times to flush the system, followed by the 50/50 distilled water and Volvo coolant, and each time the engine was brought to temperature. Each time I was obviously looking for any leaks including around the reservoir, and each time there was nothing. Long story short, I was certain the very symmetrical cracks were mold lines when I was only using memory and it wasn’t in front of me, but clearly they were not.

Nonetheless, thank you to all for catching that obvious oversight! I'd much rather have egg on my face than deal with an overheated engine. Picked up and installed an OE cap this afternoon. You’ll can now rest easy, LOL.

·
Registered
274 Posts
LOL, I owe kklepack a beer, although it appears that he/she wasn’t the only one that would’ve noticed.

I purchased the cap in the commented-on photo new, maybe 3 years ago. It replaced the one that was present when I bought the car as that one had small cracks in the top that bubbled under pressure. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that an aftermarket cap didn’t last, but I apparently wasn’t looking that closely, or I would have noticed.

That said, I did a drain and fill with distilled water 3 times to flush the system, followed by the 50/50 distilled water and Volvo coolant, and each time the engine was brought to temperature. Each time I was obviously looking for any leaks including around the reservoir, and each time there was nothing. Long story short, I was certain the very symmetrical cracks were mold lines when I was only using memory and it wasn’t in front of me, but clearly they were not.

Nonetheless, thank you to all for catching that obvious oversight! I'd much rather have egg on my face than deal with an overheated engine. Picked up and installed an OE cap this afternoon. You’ll can now rest easy, LOL.

No worries, kklepack is a he and I'm local and yes, someday we can get the beer after I get my trans swapped on MY99. I would love to see your Venetian Red in person.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I understand the cooling system leak (or any leak for that matter) paranoia, I constantly look at the garage floor and driveway.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Managed to give it a fresh wash/wax before the weather turned cold, and used this on the roof rails and trim, and the rubber around the windows. Not a permanent solution, but looks good for a few months before you need to reapply.

Then, I went to the state vehicle emissions testing station and impressed the attendant in my lane. He said he used to work at a body shop and the paint was "amazing". Which is funny right there, because all I ever see is the flaws. When I told him it was stock setup, he proceeded to inform me that "these cars" are "sleepers" and could make "real power" with some modifications. It was cracking me up, because I try not to assume that people know or don't know about the car when they first make a comment because some people don't know them specifically and are just saying it's clean, but this was the first person who assumed that I didn't know about my own car and was "educating" me, LOL.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
I have a garage shelf full of tire and trim remedies. Maguire’s, zymol silicone, Feynlab,
Griots, Mothers, Back to black, foam tire dressings, Wet and Black. It goes on an on. The Venetian has probably seen more than its share of trim dressings. Glad you gave it something new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
854 Posts
Managed to give it a fresh wash/wax before the weather turned cold, and used this on the roof rails and trim, and the rubber around the windows. Not a permanent solution, but looks good for a few months before you need to reapply.

Then, I went to the state vehicle emissions testing station and impressed the attendant in my lane. He said he used to work at a body shop and the paint was amazing. Which is funny right there, because all I ever see is the flaws. When I told him it was stock setup, he proceeded to inform me that "these cars" are "sleepers" and could make "real power" with some modifications. It was cracking me up, because I try not to assume that people know or don't know about the car when they first make a comment because some people don't know them specifically and are just saying it's clean, but this was the first person who assumed that I didn't know about my own car and was "educating" me, LOL.
No pic's ?

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Glad you gave it something new!
I treated the roof trim with this same dressing when I did the install on the roof rack in the spring, so I got about 6 months out of it which, if I'm not mistaken, is about average for most of these products.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Ran to Costco to grab a couple things. They had a great deal on the 24-bottle case of Two Brothers mixed variety pack for less than $10.00, retail is $8.99 for a six pack in most places. The bottled on date was May, so they were trying to clear them out. No problem for me to drink 'em quick! 🍺

Snapped a pick of the back while I gassed up on Premium. Not much need for AWD lately, almost no snow.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Price Score !!! Venetian looks even better when wet

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Price Score !!! Venetian looks even better when wet
LOL, while I was planning on grabbing some beer, I wasn't expecting that deal. Thanks! I know I've already said it more than once, but it really is a deep paint color. Now let's see more of your VR! :p

521 - 540 of 553 Posts