SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

501 - 520 of 553 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
like 2 turntables and a microphone!!.....anything else in there looks like a Trabant Hi Fi unit or something off the set of Wargames...

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback! I was pretty sure that I could do so with just the airbag plugged in, but I wasn’t 100% there wasn’t some out of sight pressure switch that I didn’t notice that would trigger if the dash was off when the vehicle was running.

Fred, I appreciate you keeping to my preferences on the Sonic, so it’s just the way I like when you sell it to me! 😜

And, yes, I agree that Beck Hansen is where it’s at! Saw him on the Mutations tour in 1998. Great show! Some of his work is a little self-indulgent, but when he’s on, he’s on!

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
72 Auto Crew, represent! :partywave:

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
I'll set the temp to whatever I want (although 90%+ of the time it's 72) but I've found setting the dampers to anything other than auto dramatically reduces the performance of the system.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Regarding setup and how it sounds...

As previously mentioned, the SC-901 was one I purchased from an enthusiast locally and had been tested. So, no issues with the code here. I did, however, take the time to polish the display with NOVUS three-step plastic polish because the scratches would have driven me nuts. It worked very well and would recommend.

Before clean & polish...

I actually spent more time polishing it after this photo, but this is after a basic clean & polish...

The Dolby processor I removed from the R at the junk yard replaced my missing one. The Volvo amp that was under my passenger seat still works great. The existing harness behind the stereo was complete, but cut and spliced just as expected. I replaced what I could with uncut wires from the junk yard, but there was one section (the yellow/black wire) that I needed to fix with a replacement male/female connectors in each side of the plug. The center speaker wires were cut and spliced to new wires but not actually hooked up to anything, so I used the complete junk yard wires for that too.

Once everything was hooked up, I had no issues -- center speaker works, the different sound modes, CD and tape players, everything worked great. I didn’t have time to get the levels adjusted beyond basic levels, but the sample CD’s I put in to check the functions sounded fantastic. And, that’s excellent news for me, because I still rawk out with those instead streaming or downloads. Once I have a little more time with it installed, I can post a more specific review of the sound but I’m pretty optimistic already. That said, I am missing the sub in the back already. In a perfect world, I’d like to figure out how to wire it back in. Any of you audio people have suggestions? I’m guessing it needs it’s own amp to power it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Glad your happy with the results, im guessing you would need another amp to run the sub and not sure how you would get the sound from the 901 to the amp. Have you thought about adding any speakers to the rear ? Surprised Volvo didnt ad any to the tail gate, thats a lot of air space in the boot not to have speakers

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Glad your happy with the results, im guessing you would need another amp to run the sub and not sure how you would get the sound from the 901 to the amp. Have you thought about adding any speakers to the rear ? Surprised Volvo didnt ad any to the tail gate, thats a lot of air space in the boot not to have speakers
There are tweeters back there and they make an extremely noticeable difference especially to the rear passengers. A sub is the only speaker I would consider adding. Aside from that, I don't think adding more speakers back there is going to help you out especially for using Pro Logic. I use Pro Logic about 75% of the time when I'm alone or have one passenger and 3 Channel exclusively when I have passengers in the back seat.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Next project.... I’ve been fighting the tailgate alignment on this car.
So, inspired by my friend from Indiana, I decided to try and tackle this small, but annoying, issue as well. As part of my headliner replacement, I had already removed the plastic trim around the hatch and the striker plate, cleaned out the small debris that had worked its way in there over time, and reinstalled everything... and, all for naught. One of the rubber "bumpers" had lost its plastic guard. While the warning light on the dash always went off, the small “wiggle” in the tailgate was still there when you pulled on it after the hatch was supposed to be all the way closed. And, in the trial-and-error process, I also managed to partially strip one of the torx screws that hold the plate.

Fear not, I grabbed a replacement screw and rubber "bumper" from the junk yard when I was there. For some reason the MY99 VR was a T40, but the MY00 VR was T35. :shrug:

After a couple other attempts at alignment, I realized that the striker plate was symmetrical except for the loop at the center of the plate that the latch hooks around was actually slightly off center. See the photo John posted below. Apparently, that is how they all are?

Alrighty, then... not too far forward, not too far aft, just a little to the starboard... just right! "Loose hatch be gone!"

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I just went through this thread for the first time today. Love the Venetian and love the pics of Duluth. I lived there for a couple of years while my wife schooled at UMD. I proposed to her on the pier next to the lift bridge. Damn I want a pasty now.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I just went through this thread for the first time today. Love the Venetian and love the pics of Duluth. I lived there for a couple of years while my wife schooled at UMD. I proposed to her on the pier next to the lift bridge. Damn I want a pasty now.
Thanks! That's a great connection. Go Bulldogs! The northland can be brutal in the winter, if you're not used to it, but it's amazing country. Years ago, I had friends visit from Washington State that just kept going on about how beautiful things are; and I was like, "You live on an island with Orca swimming around you. You can go snowboard on a real mountain after a short drive. This is nothing." But they were impressed. I shouldn't share too much more information, or Brian will be sharing my high school senior photo soon. :p

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
So, my "slow" coolant leak decided to become a "legit" leak today. The nipple on the top of the radiator for the line back to the reservoir decided to crack off. Lucky for me, I was at home. Leaning towards Nissens radiator. Heater core was dry when I was back there to installed the Dolby processor, so I'm thinking it's fine for now. Any suggestions for "as long as I'm at it"?

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Nissens trans cooler is a joke but maybe that's not a problem living in the midwest

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Love your V70r! that color is just great!
Thanks for the feedback! It’s actually filthy right now and desperately needs a good cleaning. But when it’s clean, it tends to get compliments from people all the time, even from non-enthusiasts. The pearl in the paint makes for fun color shifts based on different lighting conditions.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
So, the coolant reservoir that was swapped into the Venetian to fix the sensor issue was pretty disgusting and had developed a pin-hole leak that bubbled when hot. Swapped it out with a cleaner example.

501 - 520 of 553 Posts