15,952 Posts
yesssss

·
Registered
15,952 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
So... A MY99 VR showed up at a nearby JY. It’s the first time in years of looking that I’ve seen one near me. Managed to get there early and pull some things. (I’ll be listing a few items for sale soon.) The spark plug cover was in better condition than mine, so I'll save that and the timing belt cover. On the Venetian, it started to turn pale blue and crack around the bolt heads due to heat. I know we discussed leaving it off so the coil packs don't cook, but is there any danger to leaving all three pieces off all the time? Will the heat from the engine without the TB cover bake the hoses to the power steering reservoir or anything else? Any real chance of something getting caught in the TB itself? I'm not planning on being the guy with the necktie caught in the shredder? If not, I think I'll leave everything off and save the new ones for Cars and Coffee or similar "show"-type use only. Thoughts?

·
Registered
273 Posts
So... A MY99 VR showed up at a nearby JY. It’s the first time in years of looking that I’ve seen one near me. Managed to get there early and pull some things. (I’ll be listing a few items for sale soon.) The spark plug cover was in better condition than mine, so I'll save that and the timing belt cover. On the Venetian, it started to turn pale blue and crack around the bolt heads due to heat. I know we discussed leaving them off so the coil packs don't cook, but is there any danger to leaving all three pieces off all the time? Will the heat from the engine without the TB cover bake the hoses to the power steering reservoir or anything else? Any real chance of something getting caught in the TB itself? I'm not planning on being the guy with the necktie caught in the shredder? If not, I think I'll leave everything off and save the new ones for Cars and Coffee or similar "show"-type use only. Thoughts?
Where is this be located? I may need some parts. Can you PM? Thx

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
leave the belt covers on.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
So... A MY99 VR showed up at a nearby JY. It’s the first time in years of looking that I’ve seen one near me. Managed to get there early and pull some things. (I’ll be listing a few items for sale soon.) The spark plug cover was in better condition than mine, so I'll save that and the timing belt cover. On the Venetian, it started to turn pale blue and crack around the bolt heads due to heat. I know we discussed leaving it off so the coil packs don't cook, but is there any danger to leaving all three pieces off all the time? Will the heat from the engine without the TB cover bake the hoses to the power steering reservoir or anything else? Any real chance of something getting caught in the TB itself? I'm not planning on being the guy with the necktie caught in the shredder? If not, I think I'll leave everything off and save the new ones for Cars and Coffee or similar "show"-type use only. Thoughts?
Snag list:

18t
Greens
302mm front brake brackets
Amp and harness
Dash with dolby cover
Door sills
Wheel
Door cards
Cluster

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Snag list:

18t
Greens
302mm front brake brackets
Amp and harness
Dash with dolby cover
Door sills
Wheel
Door cards
Cluster

I already picked most of that.

I didn't think of the brackets. Did both MY99 and MY00 have them?

The turbo and injectors are less appealing based on this...

Part | Price | Core
Turbo Charger Pump / Supercharger | $75.99 | $10.00
Turbo Exhaust Pipe | $14.99 | $5.00
Turbo Intercooler | $49.99 | $10.00
Fuel Injector (each) | $11.99 | $1.00
Fuel Injector Rail (bare) | $15.99 | $2.00

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
I already picked most of that.

I didn't think of the brackets. Did both MY99 and MY00 have them?

The turbo and injectors are less appealing based on this...

Part | Price | Core
Turbo Charger Pump / Supercharger | $75.99 | $10.00
Turbo Exhaust Pipe | $14.99 | $5.00
Turbo Intercooler | $49.99 | $10.00
Fuel Injector (each) | $11.99 | $1.00
Fuel Injector Rail (bare) | $15.99 | $2.00
99 R have 302s. Should be able to visually identity. That’s all a pretty standard price for a junkyard turbo, worth pulling if you’re ambitious....drop the front subframe bolts and the access will get very nice in a hurry.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
99 R have 302s. Should be able to visually identity. That’s all a pretty standard price for a junkyard turbo, worth pulling if you’re ambitious....drop the front subframe bolts and the access will get very nice in a hurry.
LOL, I appreciate the checklist and the encouragement, but I'll probably won't go back at this point. Gotta leave something for everyone else.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
So, I'm thinking about pulling my dash to swap in the one from the JY because mine has a small scratch near the center speaker that annoys me somewhat and the JY one is basically flawless. Plus, I could plug in the JY cluster to check its mileage, check the working order of the amp and Dolby processor, and install my SC-901 with a new harness to replace the aftermarket unit Fred had put in, all in one go.

Other than disconnecting the battery prior to starting, any tips about the SRS system? I'm worried that, if I plug in the JY cluster temporarily to see the mileage without putting the dash back together, then connecting the battery will trigger a fault and the light. Which means pulling apart and reconnecting everything twice. Right? Also, are there any differences with MY99 vs. MY00 dash to be aware of?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I can't remember if you have VIDA, If so, you can use it to reset the SRS light. I don't think there is any difference between model years, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Dash is the same 99+.

If you connect the cluster just leave the airbag plugged in.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Maybe something is wrong with my 901. My aftermarket Kenwood double din with stock speakers in moondust sounds better than the 901 in the VR . And my center speaker does work. Ill be curious to see your opinion after switching back to the 901

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
901 is where it's at

sedan also has more speakers

481 - 500 of 553 Posts