SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  • Please advise if you are currently experiencing a persistent loss of Internet connectivity on your Vehicle Modem (not the VOC Modem).
  • Also, does anyone know from a tech service perspective, if the dealer has a process that disconnects to the Vehicle Modem internet service which must be turned back on after the services are completed?

Here is the context of my vehicle modem and 3G Internet connectivity issue. Thanks in advance for any insights and suggestions.

Since my dealer visit(50K service) on 2 July 2020, I have lost my Internet connection on my MY16 XC90 via the Vehicle Modem - the "serviceable" modem used by Sensus and used for passengers' hotspot. (My VOC modem is working fine.) As you may or may not know, the MY16 XC90 has 3G modems. I use the AT&T paid Internet service for redundancy purposes (since my cellular Sprint / T-Mo service is marginal in rural areas.)

The vehicle symptoms are that there is no "Internet Globe" in the upper left hand corner - although there is rarely a faint set of bars, one to be exact (which is not my cellular connection which is three bars). Whenever I try to connect Sensus to most of the third party apps that use the internet, such as Pandora, I get the spinning wheel [with] an ultimate timeout that says "No Internet Connection".

I have contacted Volvo Customer Care who reported no servers or known reasons that I cannot connect to the Internet. The suggestion was to go to the dealer,

I contacted AT&T who indicated that AT&T is not having any outages. AT&T sent codes/pings on two subsequent occasions as a follow-up. AT&T confirmed that I have not used any data before July 1st. I was trying to determine if AT&T's 3G/4G/LTE/5G tower/antenna/infrastructure work is adversely impact my connectivity - particularly on a 3G modem.I don't think so as it seems my VOC is working fine (except for no performance data, graphs of which @WhoaVolvo and others are already aware).

Unless others are experiencing a similar issue with 3G or vehicle modem, it looks like I have a trip to the dealer (160 miles roundtrip) - just for the Internet in anticipation of an upcoming trip (- not anything like @Sidwin 's.:cool:).

Since I have used up my scheduled service allotment for Service 2.0 and since I am outside of the 4-year factory warranty (although I have non-exclusionary VIP extended coverage), I am hoping the dealer will apply the TSU or Service 2.0 update at no cost (but still pay the techs) - going back to the original 50K service where the Internet connectivity stop.

FWIW: I did not realize that my Internet Connectivity was lost until a week or so after the service. I started noticing numerous third party apps not working. I turned on WIFI in the car using my cellular hotspot and my home wifi and the car's internet connection was restored with the Internet Globe. Once I reverted back to the vehicle modem, there was no Internet Globe or Internet connectivity.

@WhoaVolvo: Will there be a similar or concurrent 4G/LTE upgrade path for the vehicle modem with the envisioned VOC upgrade (e.g., MY16s)?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
  • Please advise if you are currently experiencing a persistent loss of Internet connectivity on your Vehicle Modem (not the VOC Modem).
  • Also, does anyone know from a tech service perspective, if the dealer has a process that disconnects to the Vehicle Modem internet service which must be turned back on after the services are completed?

Here is the context of my vehicle modem and 3G Internet connectivity issue. Thanks in advance for any insights and suggestions.

Since my dealer visit(50K service) on 2 July 2020, I have lost my Internet connection on my MY16 XC90 via the Vehicle Modem - the "serviceable" modem used by Sensus and used for passengers' hotspot. (My VOC modem is working fine.) As you may or may not know, the MY16 XC90 has 3G modems. I use the AT&T paid Internet service for redundancy purposes (since my cellular Sprint / T-Mo service is marginal in rural areas.)

The vehicle symptoms are that there is no "Internet Globe" in the upper left hand corner - although there is rarely a faint set of bars, one to be exact (which is not my cellular connection which is three bars). Whenever I try to connect Sensus to most of the third party apps that use the internet, such as Pandora, I get the spinning wheel without an ultimate timeout that says "No Internet Connection".

I have contacted Volvo Customer Care who reported no servers or known reasons that I cannot connect to the Internet. The suggestion was to go to the dealer,

I contacted AT&T who indicated that AT&T is not having any outages. AT&T sent codes/pings on two subsequent occasions as a follow-up. AT&T confirmed that I have not used any data before July 1st. I was trying to determine if AT&T's 3G/4G/LTE/5G tower/antenna/infrastructure work is adversely impact my connectivity - particularly on a 3G modem.I don't think so as it seems my VOC is working fine (except for no performance data, graphs of which @WhoaVolvo and others are already aware).

Unless others are experiencing a similar issue with 3G or vehicle modem, it looks like I have a trip to the dealer (160 miles roundtrip) - just for the Internet in anticipation of an upcoming trip (- not anything like @Sidwin 's.:cool:).

Since I have used up my scheduled service allotment for Service 2.0 and since I am outside of the 4-year factory warranty (although I have non-exclusionary VIP extended coverage), I am hoping the dealer will apply the TSU or Service 2.0 update at no cost (but still pay the techs) - going back to the original 50K service where the Internet connectivity stop.

FWIW: I did not realize that my Internet Connectivity was lost until a week or so after the service. I started noticing numerous third party apps not working. I turned on WIFI in the car using my cellular hotspot and my home wifi and the car's internet connection was restored with the Internet Globe. Once I reverted back to the vehicle modem, there was no Internet Globe or Internet connectivity.

@WhoaVolvo: Will there be a similar or concurrent 4G/LTE upgrade path for the vehicle modem with the envisioned VOC upgrade (e.g., MY16s)?
I cannot speak for the XC90, as it uses a different Sensus than my 2015.5 S60, but I have experienced a similar issue. The internet would never connect and all you would get is a spinning globe. It's happened to me twice. Both times required a reflash to fix the issue, as it appears the problem is related to corrupt software. My dealer has seen the issue several times and knew exactly what to do.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, @MyVolvoS60. I will give the dealer a call then. My vehicle modem has persistently not been connected to the internet since the 50K service. That makes sense.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Thanks, @MyVolvoS60. I will give the dealer a call then. My vehicle modem has persistently not been connected to the internet since the 50K service. That makes sense.
You're welcome. Good luck with dealer! I would mention this happened after 50K and see if they'll do the reflash without cost.

I presume (but not XC90 is exactly the same) you get the yellow spinning wheel of death that just never connects?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sounds like you may need a TEM Certificate Reload. I've seen this happen after software updates or if vehicle was parked for an extended time.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for helping with the validation and suggestions. I drive an average of every third day during COVID since March. I will get the update scheduled with the dealer.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I cannot speak for the XC90, as it uses a different Sensus than my 2015.5 S60, but I have experienced a similar issue. The internet would never connect and all you would get is a spinning globe. It's happened to me twice. Both times required a reflash to fix the issue, as it appears the problem is related to corrupt software. My dealer has seen the issue several times and knew exactly what to do.
they replaced the ICM in mine, reloads wouldn't work they said.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
they replaced the ICM in mine, reloads wouldn't work they said.
Very possible your ICM was faulty. Software will always be the first line of defense. If that fails, and it worked both times on mine, then the buck stops there. In your case, software reloads failed and ICM was replaced. This issue has happened twice in 4 yrs / 70,000 miles. Both required a software reflash to re-enable the internet connectivity.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
491 Posts

The vehicle symptoms are that there is no "Internet Globe" in the upper left hand corner - although there is rarely a faint set of bars, one to be exact (which is not my cellular connection which is three bars). Whenever I try to connect Sensus to most of the third party apps that use the internet, such as Pandora, I get the spinning wheel without an ultimate timeout that says "No Internet Connection".

The plan (as of today) is still to offer a 4G upgrade for all affected vehicles. May not be at the same time, but the plan hasn't changed.

If you turn on the wifi hotspot and use it, then the hardware is fine. Unless you had a total upgrade done at 50K, I can't really even see why the backend certificates would change. It's not SOP to do certificate renewals. That's the "reload" mentioned above. That said, the reload software for certificates takes all of 30 seconds.

I just tried on my wife's XC90, and service is up. She just had her 10k done a week ago, which includes the total upgrade.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
The plan (as of today) is still to offer a 4G upgrade for all affected vehicles. May not be at the same time, but the plan hasn't changed.

If you turn on the wifi hotspot and use it, then the hardware is fine. Unless you had a total upgrade done at 50K, I can't really even see why the backend certificates would change. It's not SOP to do certificate renewals. That's the "reload" mentioned above. That said, the reload software for certificates takes all of 30 seconds.

I just tried on my wife's XC90, and service is up. She just had her 10k done a week ago, which includes the total upgrade.
So do the validation certificates become corrupted, disallowing the Sensus to connect to any internet? As this problem affected both the 3g and wifi connections.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, @WhoaVolvo and all. Good to know about the anticipated plans for both VOC modem AND vehicle modem 4G, albeit possibly different timelines.

I will post an update next week after my service appointment with the Internet resolution.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
491 Posts
So do the validation certificates become corrupted, disallowing the Sensus to connect to any internet? As this problem affected both the 3g and wifi connections.
No. The internet is the internet, so if you pay for hotspot it should work regardless. That's actually what is peculiar about this case.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
No. The internet is the internet, so if you pay for hotspot it should work regardless. That's actually what is peculiar about this case.
Something is being corrupted that is preventing the Sensus from connecting to the internet. Both Wifi / 3G. Wonder if Volvo has isolated the root cause other than simply reloading the software.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Same thing has started happening to my XC60, but it has not been in for service since February. As of 9/3 I have had no internet connection via the onboard modem. Connecting to the WiFi hotspot generated by my iPhone only works half the time at best.

Dealership is going to look into it tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I picked up my car this past Friday. The VCM and BECM were reloaded (and presumably the last TSU / Service 2.0 upgrade but IDK for sure).

Anyway, I had internet connectivity via VOC (e.g., INRX Traffic) and Vehicle Modem (AT&T Unlimited active) on most of Friday on the way home. OTA Update for my Home Region had started to install and then paused. I verified that the Vehicle Modem was turned on.

Throughout the first segment, the Internet Globe was always present. On my second and third segments, having shut off and locked the car both times, I noticed that the Internet Globe was gone - no settings were changed.

When I got home, I verified the settings. Then I switched my car to my home wifi, the Internet Globe re-appeared, but the road map updates remained paused. In addition, as noted in another post, there seemed to be a lack of communication as my performance data logs were partly garbled as you can see below. What is highlighted in green is valid/verified, but what is in a rose color are not valid.

I am at a loss again - VCM, TMC, BECM, ....? Anyone have ideas on:
1. Loss of Internet connectivity via VOC and Vehicle Modem;
2. Invalid data going to VOC logs and loss of T8 performance data; and
3. Paused road map updates?

I hope to troubleshoot with the dealer/tech remotely, but likely another 160 mi. RT this week. I sure hope to share good news and the fix by the end of the week. (Apologies for a partial double-post across two threads.)

·
491 Posts
I picked up my car this past Friday. The VCM and BECM were reloaded (and presumably the last TSU / Service 2.0 upgrade but IDK for sure).

Anyway, I had internet connectivity via VOC (e.g., INRX Traffic) and Vehicle Modem (AT&T Unlimited active) on most of Friday on the way home. OTA Update for my Home Region had started to install and then paused. I verified that the Vehicle Modem was turned on.

Throughout the first segment, the Internet Globe was always present. On my second and third segments, having shut off and locked the car both times, I noticed that the Internet Globe was gone - no settings were changed.

When I got home, I verified the settings. Then I switched my car to my home wifi, the Internet Globe re-appeared, but the road map updates remained paused. In addition, as noted in another post, there seemed to be a lack of communication as my performance data logs were partly garbled as you can see below. What is highlighted in green is valid/verified, but what is in a rose color are not valid.

I am at a loss again - VCM, TMC, BECM, ....? Anyone have ideas on:
1. Loss of Internet connectivity via VOC and Vehicle Modem;
2. Invalid data going to VOC logs and loss of T8 performance data; and
3. Paused road map updates?

I hope to troubleshoot with the dealer/tech remotely, but likely another 160 mi. RT this week. I sure hope to share good news and the fix by the end of the week. (Apologies for a partial double-post across two threads.)
To my knowledge, the main software issue isn't resolved and what your seeing is corrupt / incomplete trip data. The fact it came back for a moment, is a fluke IMHO.

The map update, is a huge file. It could be best to load off USB... especially if its been a while between updates.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
An Update on Loss of Internet Connectivity via Vehicle Modem and presumptively the VOC Modem:

Today, my dealer’s service department has preliminarily determined that my VCM needs to be replaced. Tomorrow, I will find out for sure when I go to pick it up.

My armchair analysis was VCM (and/or TCM?) was/were failing in some way. Only the techs know for sure.

Over the last two weeks, I have been experimenting between my vehicle’s WiFi internet connection (using a home router and cellular hotspot) and my vehicle’s Vehicle Modem.

I discovered that I could (at least temporarily) obtain Internet connectivity through the Vehicle Modem and VOC Modem by:
1. turning on the “Wifi” feature in settings, and connecting to my Home WiFi or my phone’s Cellular hotspot that has internet connectivity. This causes the Internet Globe to be displayed and the vehicle to connect to the Internet - enabling third party apps, et al to function properly.

2. Once confirmed that the vehicle is connected to the Internet (e.g., play Pandora), then going to Settings and turn on the Vehicle Modem which turns off the WiFi connection after the pop-up message.

Although the Internet Globe disappears (while the buffered music continues on), be patient. The Internet Globe will re-appear between 10 seconds and ~ 2 minutes.

Now both your Vehicle Modem and VOC should be connected to the Internet. The internet may persist for a few minutes, an hour or until you turn off your vehicle.

With my MY16 XC90, my internet connection would be lost in 10 to 60 minutes. If that happened, I would need to start over with step 1.

The problem is that I am on the road and I do not always have a cellular hot spot connection (e.g., Sprint) in rural areas to activate a new internet connection, plus I don’t want the distraction (even with a co-pilot working the radios ).

Because I was eventually losing the internet connection, I figured that it had to be a hardware issue. Just a guess though.

Anyway, if you have a MY16 and your VOC and/or Vehicle Modem is not connecting to the Internet, give the the steps above a try. I point out MY16s in particular because of the 3G and two separate components.

Who knows, if you are having a similar internet connectivity issue with MY17+, you could still give it a whirl.

Keep in mind that I have a valid VOC subscription which has never expired and I have the Volvo-supplied AT&T modem with an unlimited data subscription.

Anyway, if I can help anyone, then it will be a success. YMMV.

I will update late tomorrow with the final findings and resolution.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just got my MY16 XC90 back. The VDM control unit was replaced and software was reloaded. The diagnosis was “VCM short to ground code”. Now, my internet connectivity for is working correctly. Not only the Vehicle Modem but also the Volvo installed third party apps that use internet connectivity.

VCM Control Unit
https://usparts.volvocars.com/p/Volvo_2016_/Mobile-Phone-Control-Module/65481848/36012656.html
VCM software reload
https://usparts.volvocars.com/p/Vol...onnectivity-Module-VCM/65481333/31427694.html

Again, this error and resolution may be unique to MY16 hardware. Not sure, but worth an investigation if you have persistent internet connectivity issues with current VOC and AT&T subscriptions.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
648 Posts
Same issue was with my Mothers in law 2017 s90 they had to replace the module since even VOC was not working as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts