SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I used to take my old car to the normal rollers car wash, but now that I have my new xc90 I don't want it to end up with swirl marks everywhere.

What do you use to clean your car?

Unfortunately I don't have access to a water hose so a pressure wash in my case is out of the question.

Will appreciate feedback from you guys and thanks in advance :)

Omar

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
You could consider optimum polymer technologies product called optimum no rinse and wash using the two bucket method and high quality microfibers. There are videos on YouTube showing how to use it. And the product can be found at autogeek.net

·
Registered
26 Posts
Although i have a hose and wash normally, two bucket method without hose works good. I use Adam's detailing products and am satisfied. This is for my car, for the XC90, I'll probably just take it to a reputable hand car wash, not rollers or gas station. Had a Durango a long time ago and suv's take forever to clean and dry... At least if you are trying to be meticulous.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes, automatic washer will definitely put the minute swirls & scratches in the paint. I worked out a deal with a local portable detailer to hand wash both my XC's (60 & 90) on a regular basis. It cost a little less per wash than the premium automatic washers per wash.

When I hand wash, I really like the Duragloss Car Wash Concentrate:
http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-car-wash-concentrate.html

In winter (actually anytime) I REALLY like the ease and added shine of this product (No hose):
http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-rinseless-wash.html

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your feedback. I'll buy some buckets and start doing it myself :) except when it's too cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
I invested in a electric pressure washer earlier this year and wash my own.

I'm very particular when I detail so I'd rather just do it myself.

With the wife's Volvo I'm now going to be washing 2 cars. Lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for the interior? I have washed the exterior of my XC90 several times with Optimum No Rinse, but I haven't done the interior yet.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for the interior? I have washed the exterior of my XC90 several times with Optimum No Rinse, but I haven't done the interior yet.
I actually went ahead and spent a small fortune on the Optimum products. I say fortune because it was a little over $200 but I bought the gallon size options. Anyway, for the interior I am using the Optimum Protectant Plus - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ectant plus&qid=1451400606&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2. It works great and it leaves a pleasant smell. It may be just me but after cleaning it, the car always has that brand new smell all over again.

I also use the Optimum No rinse + Wax using the 2 bucket method. I am able to was the car in the garage with a few gallons of water. Amazing stuff. I also use the Optimum Detailer & Gloss Enhancer, Optimum Power clean to clean carpets, exterior or interior where there are stains and it can also be used on the leather for stubborn stains. I am still waiting to get the tire gel.

I found all of the Optimum products to be exceptional and what I like is that there are no harsh chemicals in them to damage the car. This was my first time buying them and wasn't sure but I'm sold. I will never go back using any other products or using the hose to wash the car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Guys,

I used to take my old car to the normal rollers car wash, but now that I have my new xc90 I don't want it to end up with swirl marks everywhere.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a water hose so a pressure wash in my case is out of the question.

Omar
There is a pretty reputable hand wash about 5miles from my house. It's about $23 for the SUV interior and exterior...but they also have alot of other options like air wax or Miami Shine for low prices. They take about 30min inside and out. It's all done by hand microfiber and no recycled water along with quality products.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Guys,

Omar
Check this out first... https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9432/related/1

·
Registered
372 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Guys,

Omar
Use a brushless car wash; employs high pressure water and air to clean/wax/dry. No contact. Rotating/sliding brushes or hand-wash rugs inevitably accumulate fine abrasive particles from elsewhere on the car; or are retained from prior vehicles.
There may occasionally be areas left which require (your) manual cleaning... But are few and i'm sure the xc90 owners will be extraordinarily careful to assure cleanliness of rags used in final detailling.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi.

I just thought I would chime in on a couple thoughts on cleaning. I think car washing is great fun in the summer time, but winter presents a challenge. During the summer, I keep detailer and a microfiber cloth handy and give the car a quick once over every 2-3 days. This keeps it looking great in between washing which could be every 2-3 weeks in good weather. I imagine this could work all year round in Southern California!

During the freezing winter, I find that the dry wash kits tend to be overloaded by grime and mud. If you are not careful, you could even end up with scratches, etc. Certainly, the auto car washes present a risk to your paint. However, not washing your car and letting the dirt pile up will probably put you at more risk of paint wear and clear coat trouble. The brushless car washes with high pressure jets while not touching your car with cloth could strip away your wax and leave your car unprotected.

My biggest problem is finding a day without rain to actually productively wash the car!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi.

I just thought I would chime in on a couple thoughts on cleaning. I think car washing is great fun in the summer time, but winter presents a challenge. During the summer, I keep detailer and a microfiber cloth handy and give the car a quick once over every 2-3 days. This keeps it looking great in between washing which could be every 2-3 weeks in good weather. I imagine this could work all year round in Southern California!

During the freezing winter, I find that the dry wash kits tend to be overloaded by grime and mud. If you are not careful, you could even end up with scratches, etc. Certainly, the auto car washes present a risk to your paint. However, not washing your car and letting the dirt pile up will probably put you at more risk of paint wear and clear coat trouble. The brushless car washes with high pressure jets while not touching your car with cloth could strip away your wax and leave your car unprotected.

My biggest problem is finding a day without rain to actually productively wash the car!
I feel you pain. We had rain, sleet, snow and now it's freezing cold. Going to a hand car wash is the only option. Because of that are contemplating on buying a lifetime hand wash for $5,000! Hahaha! I hate winter! :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts