SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have activated their navigation through VDASH, did the activation provide for access to download the latest version of the maps through the USB drive?
Also, any ability to received real time traffic updates?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone.....???

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Pretty sure the USB map update function requires a software download not just a VDASH activation, at least for the 2012MY.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Pretty sure the USB map update function requires a software download not just a VDASH activation, at least for the 2012MY.
You are correct. It's a version update for Sensus and not just a settings change.

Most people seem to be getting charged about $100 by their dealers for the update, split out at about $70 for labor and $30 for the software update. Prices in US dollars at US dealers.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so help me clarify:

1.) What role does VDASH play in making the navigation unit work? I already changed the level 2 radio unit to a level 2.1 with navigation. Now I need to activate it. I don't want to pay VDASH $300 to make it work if its only an "activation" and no software, and I only get stale outdated maps.

If I still have to pay the stealership to update the maps to get USB functionality, that's another $170 per hour for labor and $80+ for the software. And I have to have the parts numbers in hands since the techs are worthless unless I tell me them exactly what to do.

Looks like my best course of action would be to get a 3 days subscription to 2017 VIDA and do it the right way. Assuming I don't "brick" the car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you ever activate your NAV? I just installed a 2.1 Level 3 w/DVD in my 2013 S60 and the radio works just as before (I have the IAM 2.1 Level 1, CD only before.)
The NAV blank button does nothing and I see no mention of NAV menus in the radio settings. Assuming it has to be activated either through the dealer or VDASH.

Which route did you go?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you ever activate your NAV? I just installed a 2.1 Level 3 w/DVD in my 2013 S60 and the radio works just as before (I have the IAM 2.1 Level 1, CD only before.)
The NAV blank button does nothing and I see no mention of NAV menus in the radio settings. Assuming it has to be activated either through the dealer or VDASH.

Which route did you go?
I ended up activating through VDASH, as my first attempt with my local volvo dealer failed. They tired to activate the navigation system and were unable to find the proper software to remove the ITP. I was able to remove the ITP with VDASH, then activate the Navigation. Now I need to return to the dealer and have the latest software downloaded since the USB software update does not work yet.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know if the DVD drive doesn't "work" unless activated? I just put a post up asking this question:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?606993-Added-IAM-2-1-NAV-DVD-Level-3-now-issues

Also ignore my ignorance, but what is ITP?
Nevermind.. Theft Protection! Got it!
DVD drive should work the same as before. You shouldn't have to go to the dealer for the DVD to work. I didn't have to and I have no issues with the CDs or DVD playing.
The thing to keep in mind when you switch the hardware unit is to find a similar year and production month to your own when you upgrade to NAV.
If you plan to go to the dealer, you will need to ask them to remove the ITP, and then ask them to do the software update so that you can upgrade to NAV via USB. You're already paying for the labor time and I think the software is $0.01.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
On vehicles prior to 2015.5, Volvo must install an update to allow for you to manually update the maps.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
136 Posts
On vehicles prior to 2015.5, Volvo must install an update to allow for you to manually update the maps.
Interesting thread. Free, albeit DYI, map updates was one big plus for buying the Volvo.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Interesting thread. Free, albeit DYI, map updates was one big plus for buying the Volvo.
2015.5 S60s + came with Sensus where as older molders had Sensus connect I believe. Which permitted only dealer updates maps. But then they released an update that let users DIY.

·
Registered
735 Posts
2015.5 S60s + came with Sensus where as older molders had Sensus connect I believe. Which permitted only dealer updates maps. But then they released an update that let users DIY.
Incorrect.

Sensus Connect is what the 2015.5+ cars have. The "Connect" part indicates that it has a 3G cellular modem and can connect to the internet.

Earlier cars came with regular, non-connected Sensus.

The early cars had a dealer installed option called "Sensus Connected Touch" which added a secondary computer mounted in the glove box that added a 3G cellular modem and internet connected apps like Spotify.

"Sensus Connect" can do USB map updates straight out of the box.

Plain old "Sensus" needs a system update to allow USB map updates.

The dealer installed "Sensus Connected Touch" used a 3rd party nav system from iGo that stores the map data on an SD card and that cannot be manually updated - you need to buy a new preloaded map SD card for it. I believe that this system is no longer receiving map updates, but I have not been able to definitively verify this.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Incorrect.

Sensus Connect is what the 2015.5+ cars have. The "Connect" part indicates that it has a 3G cellular modem and can connect to the internet.

Earlier cars came with regular, non-connected Sensus.

The early cars had a dealer installed option called "Sensus Connected Touch" which added a secondary computer mounted in the glove box that added a 3G cellular modem and internet connected apps like Spotify.

"Sensus Connect" can do USB map updates straight out of the box.

Plain old "Sensus" needs a system update to allow USB map updates.

The dealer installed "Sensus Connected Touch" used a 3rd party nav system from iGo that stores the map data on an SD card and that cannot be manually updated - you need to buy a new preloaded map SD card for it. I believe that this system is no longer receiving map updates, but I have not been able to definitively verify this.
*Sensus Connect Touch. My fault.

I'd hate to think that Volvo discontinues Map support for any vehicle. With built in GPS becoming more common, failure to support the unit almost renders the system obsolete. Even new maps are given for super old Garmins. Because companies realize people still run these legacy systems. And cars stay on the road for many years.

·
Registered
735 Posts
*Sensus Connect Touch. My fault.

I'd hate to think that Volvo discontinues Map support for any vehicle. With built in GPS becoming more common, failure to support the unit almost renders the system obsolete. Even new maps are given for super old Garmins. Because companies realize people still run these legacy systems. And cars stay on the road for many years.
Very few cars got Sensus Connected Touch installed though. It's an odd, piggyback system that used a 3rd party map software (iGo) instead of the usual Sensus and it was an expensive (~$1,500) option that could only be installed by a dealer after the car was delivered and that took up about a third of the glovebox space.

It's not like the normal Sensus that was a factory nav option in the early cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts