SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping for some help since I cannot find any documentation on this. I am wanting to program a newly purchase key fob for my MY15. The only option in VDASH is "Add Ignition Key (not Keyless)"

Is this the option for adding a (sorry I know this sounds stupid) Keyless Fob? If not, how is it done?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I received an answer from D5T5.

"Sorry, but we can program only non-keyless keys (also possible to pair with keyless cars)... the keyless key must be programmed with official Volvo VIDA."

I don't suppose anybody knows what the software cost is on top of the 3-day subscription for VIDA?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I received an answer from D5T5.

"Sorry, but we can program only non-keyless keys (also possible to pair with keyless cars)... the keyless key must be programmed with official Volvo VIDA."

I don't suppose anybody knows what the software cost is on top of the 3-day subscription for VIDA?

Why not take a subscription for a day or even an hour? 3 day will set you back about $90

·
Registered
205 Posts
with the consumer version of VIDA I am not sure you can program a key could be something to do with security

·
Registered
722 Posts
with the consumer version of VIDA I am not sure you can program a key could be something to do with security
There is no "consumer version" of VIDA. It's all the same. However, certain security functions may require additional credentials beyond the standard VIDA access that most shops get. I've heard, for example, that to get access to the factory key records (used to cut a physical key if there is none available to copy) you need to be a professional locksmith.

However, if you have a currently working key fob, programming a new one should be possible without additional special credentials. The problem comes if you don't have any currently working keys from what I understand.

Also, when they say they cannot program keyless cars, are they referring only to the "keyless drive" cars (the option that allows you to open the doors by touching the handles if you have the key in your pocket or to start the car without putting the key in the dash slot)? If you don't have that it might be still possible for VDASH to program the fob?

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when they say they cannot program keyless cars, are they referring only to the "keyless drive" cars (the option that allows you to open the doors by touching the handles if you have the key in your pocket or to start the car without putting the key in the dash slot)? If you don't have that it might be still possible for VDASH to program the fob?

That was the impression that I got. I am just going to go with the 3 day subscription. It is in fact listed as consumer but I hope that won't matter.

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up buying the 3 day VIDA Consumer package for $73. Purchase the keyless software for $53 as and added the key. Interestingly, it never asked for the codes off of the back of the package but worked just fine. What's funny is that I tried to add an existing key for my wife's V60, just to satisfy my curiosity about not having to have to provide a code, and it said that the key was already assigned to another vehicle.

So all in, $176 including $50 for a new key from S60Rdesign21 here on the forum.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have a quick follow up question for this thread. When we purchased our 2015 V60CC, it only came with one key. I want to get a second one, but don't want to pay the $500 or so the dealership will charge for it. Reading this thread and others, it appears I can program the key myself with a legit subscription to VIDA. That all makes sense to me. My issue is getting the right key to program.

Looking on Ebay, there are a few options but they seem oddly inexpensive so I'm not sure I trust them (like $20). Here is one example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Btn-Repl...:Volvo&hash=item36541a24c6:g:dfEAAOSwhyVdeelv

I'd also need to get the key part cut, should any locksmith be able to do that for me since it wouldn't require programming (I would take care of that part)?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'd also need to get the key part cut, should any locksmith be able to do that for me since it wouldn't require programming (I would take care of that part)?
I can't comment on the cheap replacements other than to say that I don't trust them. You can order a new key fob without programming for under $200 from a place like VolvoPartsLisle.com or Tasca though.

As for getting the emergency key cut, I actually had to get that done by a dealer; I tried several locksmiths and while all were willing none were able to get the blank to physically fit into their key cutting machines. Apparently it's often too small for the machine to grasp securely. My local dealer cut the emergency key for me for about $10.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I can't comment on the cheap replacements other than to say that I don't trust them. You can order a new key fob without programming for under $200 from a place like VolvoPartsLisle.com or Tasca though.

As for getting the emergency key cut, I actually had to get that done by a dealer; I tried several locksmiths and while all were willing none were able to get the blank to physically fit into their key cutting machines. Apparently it's often too small for the machine to grasp securely. My local dealer cut the emergency key for me for about $10.
Thanks for the response. That makes sense about the key cutting. I didn't think about the size of it being an issue

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have ordered the new key and it should be here in the next few days. I'm wondering if someone can detail the procedure to actually program the key in Vida? I've got the 3 day subscription purchased (but not yet started) for when the key arrives. I'm just hoping to have an idea of the process before I actually activate it and try to program the key.

My guess is that, with car in position2, I connect Vida to the car and purchase/download the software. Do I then put the new key in the slot and then it will program it automatically? I noticed in the post above, MDicnMan mentioned he didn't need to input any of the supplied codes.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll be happy to report back on the process once it's completed, or even take screen shots/pictures so that this isn't an issue for other folks looking to do it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well programming the key was pretty easy. You just download the software (which is $54.00) and then follow the steps. You put the new key into the ignition slot and the car will do the rest. Not much to it! As mentioned above, I didn't get a prompt for a the codes either.

I also bought an Ebay key to see if it would work. It actually does work for the most part. Keyless entry and start does not work, but the buttons are programmed to the car so you can unlock/lock it that way and you can start the car only with the key in the ignition slot. So, for those of you who don't have keyless drive or don't really care about it for a backup key, the Ebay key I bought works just fine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I also bought an Ebay key to see if it would work. It actually does work for the most part. Keyless entry and start does not work, but the buttons are programmed to the car so you can unlock/lock it that way and you can start the car only with the key in the ignition slot. So, for those of you who don't have keyless drive or don't really care about it for a backup key, the Ebay key I bought works just fine.
One thing to watch out for with eBay keys is to make sure they're on the right frequency. If I recall correctly, the fobs, even without keyless drive, use different frequency ranges depending on the market. So, for example, an eBay key that works for North American market cars won't work for European or Japanese market cars.

·
Registered
310 Posts
One thing to watch out for with eBay keys is to make sure they're on the right frequency. If I recall correctly, the fobs, even without keyless drive, use different frequency ranges depending on the market. So, for example, an eBay key that works for North American market cars won't work for European or Japanese market cars.
For sure. You definitely need to match things up and make sure your part number and FCCID match up if you go this route because there are many options.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts